Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
http://gentoo-{wiki,portage}.com doesnt work for me?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
krigav
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: http://gentoo-{wiki,portage}.com doesnt work for me? Reply with quote

I've just needed some information about my new ati graphic board, so I headed to the gentoo wiki. But I can't reach it. Is there any problem with the gentoo wiki?!?

Mod Edit: changed the title to include gentoo-portage.com - tomk
anello
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an update available for mediawiki, so its probably getting an update right now
beatryder
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anello wrote:
There is an update available for mediawiki, so its probably getting an update right now

That does not explain why gentoo-portage is also down, which is hosted on the same server. Those two sites are down more than.....
krigav
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beatryder wrote:
anello wrote:

That does not explain why gentoo-portage is also down, which is hosted on the same server. Those two sites are down more than.....

You're right! I can't reach gentoo-portage's web server, too. Though I can ping the server:

Quote:

r@lhost root # ping -c3 gentoo-portage.com
PING gentoo-portage.com (72.10.70.138) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from ip-72-10-70-138.static.skiplink.net (72.10.70.138): icmp_seq=1 ttl=51 time=135 ms
64 bytes from ip-72-10-70-138.static.skiplink.net (72.10.70.138): icmp_seq=2 ttl=51 time=145 ms
64 bytes from ip-72-10-70-138.static.skiplink.net (72.10.70.138): icmp_seq=3 ttl=51 time=139 ms

--- gentoo-portage.com ping statistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0% packet loss, time 2000ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 135.035/140.037/145.416/4.246 ms

r@lhost root # ping -c3 gentoo-wiki.org
PING gentoo-wiki.org (72.10.70.138) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from ip-72-10-70-138.static.skiplink.net (72.10.70.138): icmp_seq=1 ttl=51 time=155 ms
64 bytes from ip-72-10-70-138.static.skiplink.net (72.10.70.138): icmp_seq=2 ttl=51 time=136 ms
64 bytes from ip-72-10-70-138.static.skiplink.net (72.10.70.138): icmp_seq=3 ttl=51 time=147 ms

--- gentoo-wiki.org ping statistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0% packet loss, time 1999ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 136.657/146.419/155.326/7.658 ms

Conan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither of these sites are official gentoo sites. The answer you seek cannot be found here.
krigav
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conan wrote:
Neither of these sites are official gentoo sites. The answer you seek cannot be found here.

I know. But I think that the wiki should really be an offical part of gentoo.
beatryder
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krigav wrote:
Conan wrote:

I agree! Since it used so widely and referenced by people so much.
omp
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I have seen, downtime is not uncommon for gentoo-wiki.com.
Conan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiki's should never be official documentation.

gentoo-wiki.com has more bad suggestions and out of date information than it has correct information. It's not a good idea to reference much of anything from there.
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing wrong with having wiki's as official documentation. As long as you don't do something silly like making it anonymously editable, wiki's can quickly turn into a powerful resource. Plus it lets the community feel like they're involved in something useful.
AllenJB
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krigav wrote:
Conan wrote:

Given the quality of many of the articles on gentoo-wiki (and I should know because I've been spending time I should've been spending on assignments tidying them up), I totally disagree with this.

Part of the problem is that most of the HOWTO's seem to be written by people doing something for the first time, which usually means they don't have a particularly good amount of knowledge on the subject and can lead to mistakes.

Because of their very nature, it's extremely hard to use wiki's as any sort of official documentation because of the fact that anyone at any time can edit them and put something silly in there (and I'm not necessarily talking about obviously stupid stuff like telling someone to "rm -rf /").

BTW the site is back up now.
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not hard to revert an edit though.
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AllenJB wrote:
[. . .]

Indeed. You won't see the wiki become official Gentoo documentation because there is no quality control.
AidanJT wrote:
As long as you don't do something silly like making it anonymously editable, wiki's can quickly turn into a powerful resource. Plus it lets the community feel like they're involved in something useful.

These two things are mutually exclusive. Someone in the community wants to contribute, but it can't be done anonymously? Then you have to go through the proper contribution procedures. This takes time; only a select few have commit access to the documentation. And this is where a wiki would get in the way -- there's no point in a restricting access to something that's designed to be quickly, anonymously edited by a large number of contributors (like a wiki).

The community feels involved in something useful because they have anonymous access to the documentation. It's the tradeoff you make -- open access, but no quality control, no assurance the information is valid, up to date, or comes from reliable sources. The better way is to limit access to those in the know, who have a proven track record of solid contributions, and who must hold themselves to strict standards when writing. However, to avoid complete information lockout, you set up a system so that the truly motivated community members can share ideas, suggest topics, report code errors, and so on, via something like our Bugzilla. Plus, you must use a much more powerful revision control system than the limited ones found in wikis. And, you make sure that you have a clear license in place for each and every one of your documents. Gentoo docs are CC 2.5-licensed; the wiki hasn't always had a clear license in mind. Fixing this by arbitrarily, anonymously relicensing someone else's content doesn't strike me as a good idea either.

The wiki is sorely lacking. Downtime is just one of its afflictions.
justwantstohelp
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

omp wrote:
From what I have seen, downtime is not uncommon for gentoo-wiki.com.

Personally, I've never had any problems before, it's been very responsive every time I visited it, except for after that spambot attack, and then just now. I'm not denying any of the other problems associated with the wiki, as nightmorph pointed out, but I don't see downtime as a serious problem.
AllenJB
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AidanJT wrote:
It's not hard to revert an edit though.

Yes, but until the mistake is spotted by someone who knows it's a mistake, then it's likely to be followed by poor clueless newbies who were just following documentation. You can not have these types of errors in official documentation, which is why the wiki will never be official.
Chaosite
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AllenJB wrote:
Yes, but until the mistake is spotted by someone who knows it's a mistake, then it's likely to be followed by poor clueless newbies who were just following documentation. You can not have these types of errors in official documentation, which is why the wiki will never be official.

Even if its not "official documentation", a wiki can be very useful. It is just as "accurate" as the forums.
Conan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really, its a whole lot easier to read a forum thread then a wiki history.
Dirk.R.Gently
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krigav wrote:
Conan wrote:

It is awesome and extremely helpful. Would be nice to see Gentoo.org assimilate it.
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightmorph wrote:
AllenJB wrote:
[. . .]

Indeed. You won't see the wiki become official Gentoo documentation because there is no quality control.
AidanJT wrote:
As long as you don't do something silly like making it anonymously editable, wiki's can quickly turn into a powerful resource. Plus it lets the community feel like they're involved in something useful.

These two things are mutually exclusive. Someone in the community wants to contribute, but it can't be done anonymously? Then you have to go through the proper contribution procedures. This takes time; only a select few have commit access to the documentation. And this is where a wiki would get in the way -- there's no point in a restricting access to something that's designed to be quickly, anonymously edited by a large number of contributors (like a wiki).

Not really, I can register with gentoo-wiki without going through a formal vetting procedure and start editing/creating pages with my identity, if I spam or otherwise abuse the service then I'll rightly be banned, it's damage limitation, it's like giving write permissions to authenticated users of an ftp, you'd be criminally negligent giving anonymous users write access to a production ftp and/or http server.
terracotta_shore
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can debate the pros and cons of the Gentoo wiki until Larry the cow comes home, but the point is it's been down again all of today (2nd May), and this thread was started in January. Anyone know what's going on?

Yes, some of the wiki might be a bit iffy, but there are also some good and useful articles on it.

I hope it comes back.

Edit, 3rd May: Back up again!
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beatryder wrote:
anello wrote:

gentoo-portage is way better than packages.gentoo.org. i say they should pull a switcheroo. :lol:

banned from #gentoo since sept 2017
netboy1977
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Gentoo Wiki http://gentoo-wiki.com/ down again Reply with quote

Hi I am wondering why nobody complained about Gentoo Wiki servers being down again for at least 2 days now. :(

Is it related to the http://packages.gentoo.org site problem or is there another reason behind downtime? This is very annoying to me since I have to setup some new servers and the Wiki's are a very helpful resource for me.

Best,
Dominik
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

--

Last edited by 96140 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total
BigBrain
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, you can still "reach" the wiki with google: just search for "gentoo-wiki" and the topic you want to read about. Don't use the direct links but the ones to the cached versions :D
netboy1977
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigBrain wrote:
By the way, you can still "reach" the wiki with google: just search for "gentoo-wiki" and the topic you want to read about. Don't use the direct links but the ones to the cached versions :D

Thanks for your reply. I certainly know about the Google cache option - but for how long will it work? ;)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: