View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roderick
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no problems doing the update here and rebuilding using revdep-rebuild. It could be something peculiar to your setup.
Carlo
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BitJam wrote:
If I emerge the latest stable expat (2.x) it breaks my system and I can no longer re-emerge things

As Portage doesn't depend on expat, you still can emerge "things".

BitJam wrote:
I try to be careful with my words and not play with them. There are two separate concepts here (1) is the problem in Gentoo or Expat, and (2) what is the proper solution. My initial comment was addressing the first concept and not the second.

Neither. As you're using a source distribution it is your problem. Such issues inevitably come up every now and then. There is no sane way around it.

BitJam wrote:
Since Gentoo has the slots mechanism and from my simple understanding of how Emerge works, ISTM that it is Gentoo that is removing the older version of Expat after the new version is installed. The poster I was responding to thought it was expat that was removing the older version.

The slot mechanismn is not a means to keep all sorts of libraries around just to safe you a rebuild. Period.

BitJam wrote:
You keep saying slots are not the correct solution for this problem. I have no idea. But if we don't use slots then don't we need to either fix (or mask) expat or fix all the ebuilds that no longer emerge when the new expat is installed?

Rebuilding the neccessary ebuilds is your fix.
BitJam
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlo wrote:

Since I've told you over and over again that things don't emerge after I install the new expat, are you suggesting I fix 150 ebuild files?
Arfrever
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BitJam wrote:
Carlo wrote:

Since I've told you over and over again that things don't emerge after I install the new expat, are you suggesting I fix 150 ebuild files?

You probably need to reemerge packages in order different than that invented by revdep-rebuild. You should often use `emerge --resume --skip-first`.

Perduodu linkėjimus
Arfrever
rickythesk8r
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beso_1717 wrote:
the problem is that expat 2.0.1 has changed libexpat.so.0 name, so you have to do a revdep-rebuild -X --library libexpat.so.0 as suggested by the expat 2.0.1 infos <snip>

That's exactly what I did. Right then. As soon as I saw it. I copied those exact words with the middle mouse button onto the next shell input line and pressed the [RETURN] key.
BitJam
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. My apologies to Carlos for arguing.

For me, expat got emerged early on in an "emerge -uDN world" that contained 150 packages, mostly kde stuff that had just gone stable. My existing kdelibs was blocking the updates so I had unmerged it and had gotten out of X to give emerge as much memory as possible. This is what put my machine into a state where most things (qt, kdelibs, the first package picked by revdep-rebuild) would not emerge unless I downgraded expat and I was stuck in the vconsole. For the last year or more, emerge and portage have been rock solid for me so I was taken by surprise when emerge -uDN world caused it to run aground.

I'm working on getting my own small contributions to KDE out the door before the 4.0-beta freeze so I'm going to wait a week or so before coming back to fix this problem on my machine.
cibonato
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem described on the posts above and the solution was to downgrade Expat to version 1.98.5.

Now everything works again and the file /etc/portage/packages.mask has a new line:

>dev-libs/expat-2.0.0

Greetings!!!
didymos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, for those who haven't noticed yet, expat-2.0.1 just went stable on amd64. I'd like to thank the Academy, my parents, God, and "--as-needed" for making this upgrade possible.
Polynomial-C
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

didymos wrote:
I'd like to thank [...] "--as-needed" for making this upgrade possible.

Wise words pal... ;)
I really hope, --as-needed will get support by Gentoo at some time... with regards to updates like expat this is a real pain-saver.

Cheers
Poly-C

my portage overlay

Need a stage1 tarball? (Unofficial builds)
didymos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's never been officially supported but in a way, it really is. There's an --as-needed tracker on Bugzilla, and most of the bugs blocking on that have been fixed, and fixed pretty quickly. Occasionally an "--as-needed" bug gets marked INVALID, but that has been the (rare) exception for as long as "--as-needed" has been around, basically.

For the interested:

[Tracker] LDFLAGS="-Wl,--as-needed" support

I actually fixed a few for some gnome-1 packages; of course, they went and removed gnome-1 from the tree, so now I'm bitter. :evil:

Anyway, since there is no official support, you do have to stash some ebuilds in the local overlay with the patches, but even that isn't that common. I've also noticed that upstream is starting to use it. Coreutils comes to mind.
Polynomial-C
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least there is a howto about --as-needed: http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/asneeded.xml
So everyone interested in this can inform him-/herself...

my portage overlay

Need a stage1 tarball? (Unofficial builds)
slartibartfasz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BitJam wrote:
For me, expat got emerged early on in an "emerge -uDN world" that contained 150 packages, mostly kde stuff that had just gone stable. My existing kdelibs was blocking the updates so I had unmerged it and had gotten out of X to give emerge as much memory as possible. This is what put my machine into a state where most things (qt, kdelibs, the first package picked by revdep-rebuild) would not emerge unless I downgraded expat and I was stuck in the vconsole. For the last year or more, emerge and portage have been rock solid for me so I was taken by surprise when emerge -uDN world caused it to run aground.

I had exactly the same scenario here. For the moment I masked expat >=2.0.0 to be able to emerge kde. This was the first major glitch for me in gentoo for a while and for less experienced users somthing like this can be pretty annoying I guess. Ah well... still much better than struggling with Windows :P
hilde
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem: kdelibs failed because it didn't find qt3 (because of the new expat). I didn't feel like recompiling my entire old kde to be able to install the new version.
I managed to re-emerge qt3 after re-emerging fontconfig. I'm now living in hope that the new kde (3.5.7) will compile without further problems. Kdelibs has now been compiling for a longer time already than the previous time, so hopefully it will succeed this time.
hilde
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! Kdelibs-3.5.7 has successfully been emerged on my amd64 desktop computer, so I think what I proposed in my previous post is the way to go if you don't want to compile kde twice.
MostAwesomeDude
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, I had to do this too. Here's what I did:

# emerge -v1 expat
# emerge -v1 gettext
# emerge -v1 intltool
# emerge -v1 kdelibs
# emerge -av --update --deep --newuse world
# revdep-rebuild -X
# revdep-rebuild

Gettext and intltool need to be relinked first if you have USE="nls" set. Kdelibs is next for KDE users. I had updates that I did not want revdep-rebuild to ignore, which is why I did them beforehand. You will probably want to stop kdm and drop to the VC to do this...

<Ctrl+Alt+F1>
# /etc/init.d/xdm stop

Enjoy!
bloedie
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

I did
emerge expat

first then

emerge kdebase

after this I did

revdep-rebuild -X

For me it works well in this way.

Cu.
bloedie
fallen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was wondering, is it bad if say.. you're missing libexpat.so.1, and you have libexpat.so.0, so you just go ahead.. and cp libexpat.so.0 libexpat.so.1,

i've done it a couple times for a quick fix, and i've never had any problems so far
Arfrever
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fallen wrote:
i was wondering, is it bad if say.. you're missing libexpat.so.1, and you have libexpat.so.0, so you just go ahead.. and cp libexpat.so.0 libexpat.so.1

libexpat.so.0 is incompatible with libexpat.so.1. libexpat.so.1 have many bug fixes. Libraries should be never copied in such a way.

Perduodu linkėjimus
Arfrever
flysideways
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just sort of curious about how expat was put so early in the update order, before things that needed it?
rsa4046
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MostAwesomeDude wrote:
# emerge -v1 expat
# emerge -v1 gettext
# emerge -v1 intltool
# emerge -v1 kdelibs
# emerge -av --update --deep --newuse world
# revdep-rebuild -X
# revdep-rebuild
This worked for me, thanks.

Edit:
Woops, spoke to soon. emerge did not complete, despite --resume --skipfirst, etc., ...so I ended up following Bitjam, downgrading expat, and rebuilding kde from there.

***Edit, much later:
So in summary, two rebuilds were necessary: mask expat-2.0, emerge -vaDNu world (upgrade kde), revdep-rebuild, unmask expat-2.0, emerge -vaDNu world, and revdep-rebuild again.

Last edited by rsa4046 on Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total
didymos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flysideways wrote:
I'm just sort of curious about how expat was put so early in the update order, before things that needed it?

The devs all got together and figured out how to rewrite revdep-rebuild so as to annoy and upset the greatest number of users. It was decided expat was the perfect tool for this. Either that or it's an ordering bug (or maybe that's just what they want you to think). :twisted:
Carlo
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

didymos wrote:
The devs all got together and figured out how to rewrite revdep-rebuild [...

It isn't revdep-rebuild, but a longstanding Portage bug.
didymos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlo wrote:
It isn't revdep-rebuild, but a longstanding Portage bug.

I was not even remotely serious about that. I just picked revdep-rebuild because it sounded good and because it was recently rewritten.

[edit] Actually, what bug number is that?
Carlo
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

didymos wrote:
Actually, what bug number is that?

Good question. I know for sure that there was one, but it's not open anymore as it seems. Please follow bug 188782.
trizz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<rant>
What the F!

I just read this whole thread, it's like a carousel, goes round and round, it's portage, it's expat, it's revdep-rebuild, it's a gentoo problem, it's a slotting problem, it's the devs, it's flags...

...is it gremlins?

Gentoo is the most highly configurable and has been the most reliable distro I've used, performance wise it's hard to beat, and generally I like portage 1^10 better than any other package system... but but but... stuff like this is more than annoying, it's expensive. Time is money and right now I'm wasting time messing around with this update. Unacceptable.
</rant>

OK, that out of the way, I'm trying the revdep-rebuild -X then revdep-rebuild approach now. I'm not running an ~<arch> system here so I'm hoping things go well.

I did an install on my laptop this week as well, with that I didn't run into as much trouble, not much to revdep-rebuild on a new install and it worked. I did however run into the expat issue there too. I was able keep things going by reading the errors, searching the forums and usually just adjusting a flag in package.use here and there... then of course after the update, revde-rebuild again... :-/

[edit]
So, after the first revdep-rebuild -X I do revdep-rebuild -a and have:
Code:

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild     UD] kde-base/kdelibs-3.5.5-r10 [3.5.7-r2] USE="ssl%* -zeroconf%" LINGUAS="-he%"
[ebuild   R   ] dev-libs/apr-util-0.9.12-r1
[ebuild   R   ] sys-devel/gcc-4.1.2
[ebuild     UD] kde-base/kwin-3.5.5-r2 [3.5.7]
[ebuild     UD] kde-base/kscreensaver-3.5.5 [3.5.7]
[ebuild   R   ] kde-base/kdeartwork-styles-3.5.5
[ebuild   R   ] kde-base/kommander-3.5.5
[ebuild   R   ] kde-base/kimagemapeditor-3.5.5
[ebuild   R   ] kde-base/klinkstatus-3.5.5
[ebuild   R   ] kde-base/kworldwatch-3.5.5
[ebuild   R   ] kde-base/kfilereplace-3.5.5
[ebuild   R   ] kde-base/kxsldbg-3.5.5
[ebuild   R   ] kde-base/kdeartwork-kwin-styles-3.5.5
[ebuild   R   ] kde-base/kdeartwork-kscreensaver-3.5.5

I don't want to downgrade kde, this sucks.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: