New guy too everything>>>First problem--> Emerge
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilage
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 5:12 pm    Post subject: New guy too everything>>>First problem--> Emerge Reply with quote

hey there

making myself known cause i will probably be here alot.

i am downloading the iso as we speak.

a while back i came into the possession of an ultrasparc 450 dual processor system, i put solaris 9 on it and being raised on windows didnt get too far with it, so i looked for a linux system and had a hard time finding a sparc port that was current, i went with Debian at the time but couldnt even get the install to work, so i put solaris back on it and tried again. i tried putting qmail on it and ran into nothing but problems trying to compile. i didnt have one it seems, i got gcc but couldnt get that to make/compile cause i didnt have a compiler bad vicious circle i couldnt get out of.

so after this box sitting here for a total of about a year i went looking for a somw more info and found Gentoo had a current version ported over, so i am firing up the beast again.

any tips right off the bat would surely be appreciated, like i said i will probably be here alot.

Thanks

Pilage

Last edited by pilage on Thu Jul 17, 2003 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
tank
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Luck!

I have been using Gentoo on x86 hardware for almost a year now and really like it.

I have a SparcServer10 and a very old Netra (basically a SparcServer20).

I have run SUSE on both very well however it is "old" 2.2 kernel. Redhat is even older.

I found NetBSD to work very well on the machines, so if Gentoo gives you too much grief give NetBSD a try.

I am currently attempting to bootstrap my Sparc10 with the latest Gentoo, started the bootstrap process yesterday, its still going :).
pilage
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i try to do "emerge sparc-sources" it calculates fine goes through everything fine to the unpacking linux-2.4.21 then does the unpacking of patches-linux-2.4.21 then i get an error.

Code:
mv: cannot move 'linux-2.4.21' to a subdirectory of itself 'linux-2.4.21/linux-2.4.21'

!!! ERROR: sys-kernal/linux-2.4.21 failed.
!!! src_unpack, line 35, exitcode 1
!!! (no error message)

looks like it is erroring out while unpacking the the patches-linux-2.4.21.tar.bz2

i tried backing up a few steps to make sure everything was inline. and still got the same thing.

seem to be stuck right now.

i have an ultra sparc II 450 (dual 400mhz processors) 64 bit
all scsi(12 9gig hard drives)

any help would be great...Thanks

Pilage
adam613
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
when i try to do "emerge sparc-sources" it calculates fine goes through everything fine to the unpacking linux-2.4.21 then does the unpacking of patches-linux-2.4.21 then i get an error.

This isn't a newbie problem, afaik :)

It also started happening to me last night. I've done emerge sparc-sources about 20 times in the past three days, and it always worked until about 10 PM EDT yesterday. I had to comment out the mv line in the ebuild that was causing the error in order to get it to work, and I know that's not the cleanest solution. Did something in the ebuild change in the last 24 hours?
pilage
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I had to comment out the mv line in the ebuild that was causing the error in order to get it to work,

i will try mess around in there see where it gets me.

btw i decided to start all over thinking the system needed a config special that the stage3 setup didnt provide and went with stage1 but after this post i am gonna kill it and save the time and try stage3 again and rem out that line.

thanks for the info

Pilage
tank
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pilage wrote:
Quote:
I had to comment out the mv line in the ebuild that was causing the error in order to get it to work,

i will try mess around in there see where it gets me.

btw i decided to start all over thinking the system needed a config special that the stage3 setup didnt provide and went with stage1 but after this post i am gonna kill it and save the time and try stage3 again and rem out that line.

thanks for the info

Pilage

Ah come on do a stage 1 :), I am doing a stage 1 build on a Sparc10, hoping the kernel ebuild will be fixed by the time I need it. Course that is probably a week away ;).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: