High lag in KDE!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dlworld
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 9:10 pm    Post subject: High lag in KDE! Reply with quote

Hey!

I was enjoying my brand new gentoo install... took me too long to emerge everything (X, KDE, kdevelop & OOo included), and everything set up propperly (HD USB, sound card...). But, suddenly, I have an incredible delay between clicking an app, and the moment it starts to exec.

This happens every time, on every app I launch (xterm, emacs...). I click (or invoke on the command shell), and wait 'bout 30 secs. (no joking). The hard disk is NOT working. Then, the app begins to load normally... It's like a 'sleep(30)' line were included in the code of every package :cry:

I did nothing between the moment everything worked ok and now. The only thing I did was unplug my eth0 (I have a laptop, and right now I'm not at home), but I think this cannot be the reason why... anyway, I brought down eth0, buth still the same.

Any suggestion?? 8O
Registered Linux user #184323. "The software said Windows95 or better, so I got a Gentoo..."
mb
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hej,

append your ip and hostname to your /etc/hosts e.g.

Code:

192.168.1.123   myhost.mydomain.tld   myhost

or if you use dhcp replace the 'localhost' entry with your hostname

#mb
qubex
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the network answer hit this one.. I was experiencing minor delays here and there until I plunged into the dev kernels (now at 2.5.73). The scheduler makes a HUGE difference. Are you using any of the kernels with an O(1) scheduler? If not, you might want to try it. DEFINITELY helps with a gui! (What does your CPU do during this time? Can you check it with a monitor like gkrellm?)

Oh yes, also try prelinking. Prelinking (in KDE) sped up opening apps by about 50% or so on my system..

M
dlworld
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 8:21 am    Post subject: It worked! Reply with quote

Thanks both for helping!

I added my IP to my /etc/hosts and solved the problem. Now everything is working fine...

Just one more question, qubex... What is this 'prelinking' stuff in KDE? What do I have to configure to speed up my KDE up to a 50%?
Registered Linux user #184323. "The software said Windows95 or better, so I got a Gentoo..."
qubex
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On most systems, libraries are not changed very often and when a program is run, the operations taken to link the program are the same every time. Prelink takes advantage of this by carrying out the linking and storing it in the executable, in effect prelinking it. In order for the linker, you need ld-linux.so in glibc; to recognize the prelinking you need glibc>=2.3

Taken from the Gentoo Prelinking Guide.. Check it out here!

Let us know how it goes!

M
rawler
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey

I were just bugging the KDE developers about this issue, until i discovered also Qt applications have this problem, so do xterm(!?). I just had to bow, apologise and start bugging this forum instead. =)

The problem for me (and I'm sure there are more like me) is ad-hoc networking. What if my ip change a lot? (DHCP leases, wireless network etc)

When searching i saw another topic about the same thing as well.
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=63439

Now what I would like to know is if this is something specific to gentoo, or if this behaviour exists also in other distros? Can anyone test it?

This problem seriously has to go away, or I'll be forced to run Windows XP on my laptop and that's
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: