A proposal
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swtaarrs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 6:25 pm    Post subject: A proposal Reply with quote

I've been browsing the questions on this forum (Installing Gentoo) for the past 30 minutes or so, and I think that there is an issue that is much more common than the su issue in the sticky post. I'm not trying to be picky or rude, but I've seen many questions that are just simple cases of people not reading the install guide. I myself usually skim over install guides without reading them completely, but the Gentoo install guide isn't one that a first timer can just skim over and hope to succeed. It's long, but it's well worth reading at least once through before you begin. Therefore, I propose that a message be added, like the sticky message about su, telling people to make sure they have read the WHOLE install guide before they ask questions. In essence, RTFM, but more polite than that. The message should make it clear that Gentoo is very different from Mandrake, RedHat, and other distros in the sense that it doesn't have an "installer" as some people like to think of it, it doesn't hold your hand the whole way through. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Gentoo, I'm just saying that people need to understand that Gentoo takes more effort than most other distros, and they should double check the documentation before panicing and flooding the forums with redundant questions. If anyone wants clarification, just reply and ask for it and I'm sure I can find a few examples.
Ray Clancy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D Ah, the learning curve!! Much is learned at first and then less and less per time of study and effort.
8)One thing not mentioned in the install is the effect of system installs in the computer.. one such but perhaps not the only...pci-ide which with the install Live CD causes reverse drive identification requiring the install of... append:"ide-reverse" in Lilo.conf ..... this is not mentioned in the install instructions but is major problem if not compensated for. With the append, normal boot bios is enabled which is what the installer expects.
In addition, if one is installing Video capability, it is imperative that the installer know this factor(assuming he presently has grub in the mbr of the drive he is intending to install the gentoo into): Lilo must be used in Video installs due to the use of ram in both video and grub.
These two items are unspoken but major...I spent 25 installs before realizing the pci-ide ramifications and the video impact on Grub.
As systems become more involved, I feel certain even further complications are inevitable.... In my case alone, there was no information in the install docs to cover the pci-ide impact. :!: :!: :!: It is probable that this is not the only ramification to be encountered.
I am not aware of the Grub pci-ide considerations, only Lilo. So Grub related install info for this case is also missing.
:roll:
The things that happen, happen due to misinterpretation based on erroneous assumptions not always apparent to the installer or the post replies.
The forum is the place for problem resolution and it gets it done...

Magic? I can do magic.... I make money disappear!!
Bush to troops: "Stay the curse"
Have a good day. Expect the moderator will move this post o another forum!!!!
Digiman
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second swtaarrs, people do need to read the manual a bit more thoroughly. Before, during, and after.
Carlo
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right! Read the Docs , read them twice and read them in english, because you'll find the translated ones sometimes outdated.

Carlo
Brandy
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Gentoo Forums Feedback.
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Readers of this thread may like to read and comment on my suggestion here.
Carlo
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea! :D

A lot of threads lack a expressive title. That's the one thing, I hate most.

Carlo
PowerFactor
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

masseya wrote:
Readers of this thread may like to read and comment on my suggestion here.
It couldn't hurt, might even help a little. :wink:

Carlo wrote:
A lot of threads lack a expressive title. That's the one thing, I hate most.
Yea, that's been bugging me lately too.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: