View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnny99
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:48 am    Post subject: [solved] t61 Intel 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller Reply with quote

Please help me activate the audio card on a Thinkpad T61 in gentoo.
The card is a 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First I'll cover the stuff that did work, to save others time.

The wireless Atheros AR5212 802.11abg nic just works with net-wireless/madwifi-ng.
Code:
       emerge --update --newuse --deep -ta madwifi-ng
        echo 'ath_hal' >> /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 && update-modules

Though the card works, the LED doesn't.

The ethernet Intel Corporation 82566MM Gigabit Network Connection nic just works with e1000
Make sure it's in your kernel,
if it's a module,
Code:
       echo 'e1000'  >> /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 && update-modules

The Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M works with x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-100.14.09 with some help.
1a I had to add the kernel option “irqpoll” to get it to work.
1b. I had to add the kernel option "noapic" to make the mouse seem smoother.
Following Chapter 8 of "NVIDIA Accelerated Linux Graphics Driver README and Installation Guide", several kernel options were suggested. This is a table of tests and results:
Code:
Kernel option   Wifi          Nvidia driver Xorg.0.log error
pci=noacpi     Doesn't work   Fail:edge-trigered error.
pci=biosirq    Works          Fail:module not receiving interrupts error.
noapic         Works          Fail:module not receiving interrupts
acpi=off       Doesn't work   Fail:edge-trigered
irqpoll        Works          Works

I do see a nasty horizontal line about 4mm wide in the upper proton of the screen, with white edges and colored pixles between, for a short time, during boot.

The Nvidia Quadro NVS 140M works with x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-100.14.11 with less configuration. I don't add the kernel options, and the driver still works.

2. Framebuffer:
2.a. vesafb-ng in the kernel made it so that if I switch to a virtual terminal or logging out of kde, I get a blank screen with backlight. This is even without specifying vga= or video= kernel options.
2.b. vesafb in the kernel and specify vga=869 kernel option at boot, lead to similar expericne.
2.c. vesafb in the kernle and not specifying vga=869 kernel option at boot, allows me to use the nvidia driver, and swtich between terminals, and back. I can even log out and log back in to kde. I did add an option to /etc/modules.d/nvidia, but I'm not sure if I need it.
Code:
echo 'options nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=3'  >>  /etc/modules.d/nvidia
echo 'x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers' >> /etc/portage/package.unmask
echo 'x11-drivers/ ~x86'  >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
      emerge  nvidia-drivers
      vi /etc/X11/xorg.conf    # Attached at the end.

The Integrated Camera (Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd.) works with the media-video/linux-uvc driver
(REFERENCE: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-568026-highlight-t61.html)
Code:
emerge linux-uvc
echo 'uvcvideo' >> /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6
update-modules
modprobe uvcvideo

USB is easy:
Code:
echo 'usb_storage' >> /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6
update-modules
modprobe usb_storage

Firewire is easy:
Code:
echo 'ieee1394' >> /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6
update-modules
modprobe ieee1394

PCMCIA is easy:
Code:
echo 'pcmcia' >> /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6
echo 'yenta_socket' >> /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6
update-modules
modprobe pcmcia

I also included the IBM ACPI in the kernel.
Set 'CONFIG_ACPI_IBM=m' in /usr/src/linux/.config, and rebuild kernel
Code:
echo 'ibm_acpi' >> /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6
update-modules
modprobe ibm_acpi

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now for the Problem with the audio card. If you are with me still,

For the 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
I gather I needed the alsa drivers.

I have installed:
Code:
   media-libs/alsa-lib-1.0.14_rc2
   media-libs/alsa-oss-1.0.12
   media-sound/alsa-headers-1.0.14_rc2
   media-sound/alsa-utils-1.0.14_rc2-r3
   media-sound/alsamixergui-0.9.0.1.2-r4

cat /etc/conf.d/alsasound
Code:
   ENABLE_OSS_EMUL="yes"
   RESTORE_ON_START="yes"
   SAVE_ON_STOP="yes"

I have the following settings in /etc/modules.d/alsa
egrep -v '^#|$^' /etc/modules.d/alsa
Code:
   alias char-major-116 snd
   alias char-major-14 soundcore
   alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
   alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
   alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
   alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
   alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
   alias /dev/mixer snd-mixer-oss
   alias /dev/dsp snd-pcm-oss
   alias /dev/midi snd-seq-oss
   options snd cards_limit=1
   options snd-hda-intel model=thinkpad

I un-muted & verified, using several apps
alsamixer
aumix
xaumix

I've tried to increase the volume with the sliver volume button, and I've tried to jack in with head phones.

There are no alsa messages in /var/log/messages
I don't know what to do next.

Information about my system
emerge --info
Code:
Portage 2.1.2.7 (default-linux/x86/2007.0/desktop, gcc-4.1.2, glibc-2.5-r3, 2.6.20-gentoo-r8 i686)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.20-gentoo-r8 i686 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7500 @ 2.20GHz
Gentoo Base System release 1.12.9
Timestamp of tree: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 02:00:10 +0000
distcc 2.18.3 i686-pc-linux-gnu (protocols 1 and 2) (default port 3632) [disabled]
ccache version 2.4 [enabled]
dev-java/java-config: 1.3.7, 2.0.33-r1
dev-lang/python:     2.4.4-r4
dev-python/pycrypto: 2.0.1-r5
dev-util/ccache:     2.4-r7
sys-apps/sandbox:    1.2.17
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.13, 2.61
sys-devel/automake:  1.4_p6, 1.5, 1.6.3, 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.9.6-r2, 1.10
sys-devel/binutils:  2.17
sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.3.16
sys-devel/libtool:   1.5.22
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.17-r2
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=prescott -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/kde/3.5/env /usr/kde/3.5/share/config /usr/kde/3.5/shutdown /usr/share/X11/xkb /usr/share/config"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/env.d /etc/env.d/java/ /etc/gconf /etc/php/apache2-php5/ext-active/ /etc/php/cgi-php5/ext-active/ /etc/php/cli-php5/ext-active/ /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/splash /etc/terminfo"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -march=prescott -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="ccache distlocks metadata-transfer sandbox sfperms strict"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://distfiles.gentoo.org http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/gentoo"
LINGUAS="en"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --delete-after --stats --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages --filter=H_**/files/digest-*"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="X a52 aac acl acpi addc alsa apache2 apm arts avi bash-completion berkdb bitmap-fonts cairo cdr cjkcodecs cli commons-codec cracklib crypt cups dbus divx4linux dri dsk dts dv dvd dvdnav dvdr dvdread eds emboss encode esd evo evolution exif exscalibar faacc faad fam ffmpeg fftw firefox flac fontconfig foomaticdb fortran frame fuse gd gdbm gif gimpprint gnome gpm gs gstreamer gtk gtk2 hal iconv iconvcodec ipv6 isdnlog jasper java jpeg kde kde-meta kdexdeltas kerberos krb5 ldap libdv libg++ libtheora mad midi mikmod mmx mp3 mpeg mppe-mppc mudflap mysql ncurses nls nptl nptlonly ogg opengl openmp oss pam pcre pda pdf perl png ppds pppd python qt qt3 qt3support qt4 quicktime rar readline real reflection samba sdl session spell spl sse ssl subtitles svg svga tcpd tga theora tiff truetype truetype-fonts truetypelive type1-fonts unicode usb v4l v4l2 vorbis win32codecs x86 ximian-connector xml xml2 xorg xv xvid zeroconf zlib" ALSA_CARDS="intel8x0" ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS="adpcm alaw asym copy dmix dshare dsnoop empty extplug file hooks iec958 ioplug ladspa lfloat linear meter mulaw multi null plug rate route share shm softvol" ELIBC="glibc" INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse evdev" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LINGUAS="en" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia vesa"
Unset:  CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LANG, LC_ALL, LDFLAGS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, PORTDIR_OVERLAY

----------------------
lspci
Code:
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Memory Controller Hub (rev 0c)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 PCI Express Root Port (rev 0c)
00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82566MM Gigabit Network Connection (rev 03)
00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Contoller #4 (rev 03)
00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 03)
00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 03)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 3 (rev 03)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 4 (rev 03)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 5 (rev 03)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 03)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev f3)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801HBM (ICH8M-E) LPC Interface Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) IDE Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) SATA AHCI Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0429 (rev a1)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5212 802.11abg NIC (rev 01)
15:00.0 CardBus bridge: Ricoh Co Ltd RL5c476 II (rev ba)
15:00.1 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C832 IEEE 1394 Controller (rev 04)

----------------------
cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Code:
Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Default Layout"
    Screen         "Default Screen" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Generic Keyboard"
    InputDevice    "Configured Mouse"
    InputDevice    "Synaptics Touchpad"
EndSection

Section "Files"
    FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc"
    FontPath        "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
    FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic"
    FontPath        "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic"
    FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath        "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath        "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1"
    FontPath        "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
    FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi"
    FontPath        "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"
    FontPath        "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi"
    FontPath        "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
    FontPath        "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load           "i2c"
    Load           "bitmap"
    Load           "ddc"
    Load           "extmod"
    Load           "freetype"
    Load           "glx"
    Load           "int10"
    Load           "vbe"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier     "Generic Keyboard"
    Driver         "kbd"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier     "Configured Mouse"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "CorePointer"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option         "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
   #Comment this line out.
    Option         "EmulateWheel" "true"
    Option         "EmulateWheelTimeOut" "200"
    Option         "EmulateWheelButton" "2"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier     "Synaptics Touchpad"
    Driver         "synaptics"
    Option         "SendCoreEvents" "true"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto-dev"
    Option         "HorizScrollDelta" "0"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Generic Monitor"
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "nVidia Corporation NVIDIA Default Card"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    Option "NvAGP"  "0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Default Screen"
    Device         "nVidia Corporation NVIDIA Default Card"
    Monitor        "Generic Monitor"
    DefaultDepth    24
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       1
        Modes      "1440x900"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       4
        Modes      "1440x900"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       8
        Modes      "1440x900"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       15
        Modes      "1440x900"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       16
        Modes      "1440x900"
    EndSubSection
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes      "1440x900"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

----------------------

Last edited by johnny99 on Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:05 am; edited 7 times in total
didymos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens when you run /etc/init.d/alsasound?
johnny99
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

didymos wrote:
What happens when you run /etc/init.d/alsasound?

I restarted alsasound, and hopefully I provided relevant info below.
/etc/init.d/alsasound restart
Code:
* Storing ALSA Mixer Levels ...                                                   [ ok ]
 * Killing processes using ALSA ...                                                [ ok ]
 * Unloading ALSA modules ...                                                      [ ok ]
 * Loading ALSA modules ...
 *   Could not detect custom ALSA settings.  Loading all detected alsa drivers.
 *   Loading: snd_ad1889 ...                                                       [ ok ]
 *   Loading: snd_ali5451 ...                                                      [ ok ]
 *   Loading: snd_als300 ...                                                       [ ok ]
 *   Loading: snd_als4000 ...                                                      [ ok ]
 *   Loading: snd_atiixp ...                                                       [ ok ]
 *   Loading: snd_atiixp_modem ...                                                 [ ok ]
 *   Loading: snd_au8810 ...                                                       [ ok ]
 *   Loading: snd_au8820 ...                                                       [ ok ]
 *   Loading: snd_au8830 ...                                                       [ ok ]
 *   Loading: snd_azt3328 ...                                                      [ ok ]
 *   Loading: snd_bt87x ...                                                        [ ok ]
 *   Loading: snd_ca0106 ...                                                       [ ok ]
 *   Loading: snd_cmipci ...                                                       [ ok ]
 *   Loading: snd_cs4281 ...                                                       [ ok ]
 *   Loading: snd_cs46xx ...                                                       [ ok ]
 *   Loading: snd_cs5535audio ...                                                  [ ok ]
 *   Loading: snd_darla20 ...                                                      [ ok ]
 *   Loading: snd_darla24 ...                                                      [ ok ]
 *   Loading: snd_echo3g ...                                                       [ ok ]
 *   Loading: snd_emu10k1 ...                                                      [ ok ]
 *   Loading: snd_emu10k1x ...                                                     [ ok ]
 *   Loading: snd_ens1370 ...                                                      [ ok ]
 *   Loading: snd_ens1371 ...                                                      [ ok ]
 *   Loading: snd_es1938 ...                                                       [ ok ]
 *   Loading: snd_es1968 ...                                                       [ ok ]
 *   Loading: snd_fm801 ...                                                        [ ok ]
 *   Loading: snd_gina20 ...                                                       [ ok ]
 *   Loading: snd_gina24 ...                                                       [ ok ]
 *   Loading: snd_hda_intel ...                                                    [ ok ]
 *   Loading: snd_hdsp ...                                                         [ ok ]
 *   Loading: snd_hdspm ...                                                        [ ok ]
 *   Loading: snd_ice1712 ...                                                      [ ok ]
 *   Loading: snd_ice1724 ...                                                      [ ok ]
 *   Loading: snd_indigo ...                                                       [ ok ]
 *   Loading: snd_indigodj ...                                                     [ ok ]
 *   Loading: snd_indigoio ...                                                     [ ok ]
 *   Loading: snd_intel8x0 ...                                                     [ ok ]
 *   Loading: snd_intel8x0m ...                                                    [ ok ]
 *   Loading: snd_korg1212 ...                                                     [ ok ]
 *   Loading: snd_layla20 ...                                                      [ ok ]
 *   Loading: snd_layla24 ...                                                      [ ok ]
 *   Loading: snd_maestro3 ...                                                     [ ok ]
 *   Loading: snd_mia ...                                                          [ ok ]
 *   Loading: snd_mixart ...                                                       [ ok ]
 *   Loading: snd_mona ...                                                         [ ok ]
 *   Loading: snd_nm256 ...                                                        [ ok ]
 *   Loading: snd_pcxhr ...                                                        [ ok ]
 *   Loading: snd_riptide ...                                                      [ ok ]
 *   Loading: snd_rme32 ...                                                        [ ok ]
 *   Loading: snd_rme96 ...                                                        [ ok ]
 *   Loading: snd_rme9652 ...                                                      [ ok ]
 *   Loading: snd_sonicvibes ...                                                   [ ok ]
 *   Loading: snd_trident ...                                                      [ ok ]
 *   Loading: snd_via82xx ...                                                      [ ok ]
 *   Loading: snd_via82xx_modem ...                                                [ ok ]
 *   Loading: snd_vx222 ...                                                        [ ok ]
 *   Loading: snd_ymfpci ...                                                       [ ok ]
 *   Loading: snd-seq-oss ...                                                      [ ok ]
 *   Loading: snd-pcm-oss ...                                                      [ ok ]
 * Restoring Mixer Levels ...
XXX write TLV...                                                                   [ ok ]

tail -f /var/log/messages
Code:
Jun 29 05:21:09 genx ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:00:1b.0 disabled
Jun 29 05:21:09 genx rc-scripts: Could not detect custom ALSA settings.  Loading all detected alsa drivers.
Jun 29 05:21:09 genx ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1b.0[B] -> Link [LNKB] -> GSI 11 (level, low) -> IRQ 11
Jun 29 05:21:09 genx PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1b.0 to 64

dmesg
Code:
ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:00:1b.0 disabled
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1b.0[B] -> Link [LNKB] -> GSI 11 (level, low) -> IRQ 11
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1b.0 to 64

ls -alF /proc/asound/
Code:
total 0
dr-xr-xr-x   5 root root 0 Jun 29 05:38 ./
dr-xr-xr-x 125 root root 0 Jun 28 23:03 ../
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root 5 Jun 29 05:38 Intel -> card0/
dr-xr-xr-x   2 root root 0 Jun 29 05:38 card0/
-r--r--r--   1 root root 0 Jun 29 05:38 cards
-r--r--r--   1 root root 0 Jun 29 05:38 devices
-r--r--r--   1 root root 0 Jun 29 05:38 hwdep
-r--r--r--   1 root root 0 Jun 29 05:38 modules
dr-xr-xr-x   2 root root 0 Jun 29 05:38 oss/
-r--r--r--   1 root root 0 Jun 29 05:38 pcm
dr-xr-xr-x   2 root root 0 Jun 29 05:38 seq/
-r--r--r--   1 root root 0 Jun 29 05:38 timers
-r--r--r--   1 root root 0 Jun 29 05:38 version

cat /proc/asound/modules
Code:
 0 snd_hda_intel

cat /proc/asound/devices
Code:
  0: [ 0]   : control
  1:        : sequencer
 16: [ 0- 0]: digital audio playback
 24: [ 0- 0]: digital audio capture
 33:        : timer

ls -alF /proc/asound/card0
Code:
total 0
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Jun 29 05:41 ./
dr-xr-xr-x 5 root root 0 Jun 29 05:41 ../
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jun 29 05:41 codec#0
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jun 29 05:41 codec#1
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jun 29 05:41 id
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Jun 29 05:41 oss_mixer

ls -ltr /dev/snd/
Code:
total 0
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 33 2007-06-28 14:40 timer
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 20 2007-06-28 14:40 pcmC0D4p
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 27 2007-06-28 14:40 pcmC0D3c
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 26 2007-06-28 14:40 pcmC0D2c
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 25 2007-06-28 14:40 pcmC0D1c
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 16 2007-06-28 14:40 pcmC0D0p
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 24 2007-06-28 14:40 pcmC0D0c
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116,  0 2007-06-28 14:40 controlC0
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116,  1 2007-06-28 14:41 seq

amixer set Master 100 unmute && amixer set PCM 100 unmute
Code:
Simple mixer control 'Master',0
  Capabilities: pvolume
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 39
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 39 [100%] [0.00dB]
  Front Right: Playback 39 [100%] [0.00dB]
Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
  Limits: Playback 0 - 255
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 100 [39%] [-31.00dB]
  Front Right: Playback 100 [39%] [-31.00dB]

touch /etc/asound.state && alsactl store && /etc/init.d/alsasound save
Code:
 * Storing ALSA Mixer Levels ...    [ ok ]

Last edited by johnny99 on Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
didymos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you didn't set ALSA_CARDS in make.conf. There's no point to loading all those drivers, so I'd set that and rebuild. All that state save stuff is unecessary as well. Just edit /etc/conf.d/alsasound to handle that. I see that the volume is set to the max in alsamixer. If that's the case, the volume control won't help. It may be that the volume control is actually like those on multimedia keyboards, in which case it won't do anything, period, unless X is configured for it. The other thing that's bugging me is this:
Quote:

* Could not detect custom ALSA settings. Loading all detected alsa drivers.

Check /etc/modules.conf and make sure the file includes the stuff from /etc/modules.d/alsa.
And check dmesg for additional messages about the sound chip.
johnny99
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Check /etc/modules.conf and make sure the file includes the stuff from /etc/modules.d/alsa.
And check dmesg for additional messages about the sound chip.

I believe if /etc/modules.d/alsa contains info about the card, then /etc/modules.conf shouldn't.
No sound cards are present in /etc/modules.conf
Maybe I don't understand what you meant. Sorry.

I add the following ALSA_CARDS line in /etc/make.conf
Code:
ALSA_CARDS="hda-intel"

I commented out the 3 options in /etc/conf.d/alsasound
Code:
#ENABLE_OSS_EMUL="yes"
#RESTORE_ON_START="yes"
#SAVE_ON_STOP="yes"

I used alsaconf to select my card from the list and generate a /etc/modules.d/alsa file.
alsaconfig
Code:
hda-intel    Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller

<OK>
Code:
Configuring snd-hda-intel
  Do you want to modify /etc/modules.d/alsa?

<Yes>
Code:
 OK, Sound driver is configured.
        ALSA CONFIGURATOR
    will prepare the card for playing now.

Now I'll run alsasound init script, then I'll use
    amixer to raise the default volumes.
    You can change the volume later via a mixer
    program such as alsamixer or gamix.

<OK>
Code:
Running modules-update...
 * Please run 'update-modules' from now on; 'modules-update' is going away
 * Updating /etc/modprobe.conf by hand ...                                                                                       [ ok ]
 * Updating modules.dep ...                                                                                                      [ ok ]
Loading driver...
 * Loading ALSA modules ...
 *   Loading: snd-card-0 ...                                                                                                     [ ok ]
 *   Loading: snd-seq ...                                                                                                        [ ok ]
Setting default volumes...
===============================================================================
 Now ALSA is ready to use.
 For adjustment of volumes, use your favorite mixer.

Have a lot of fun!

The file new contains less stuff, and doesn't contain the 'options snd-hda-intel model=thinkpad'
egrep -v '^#|^$' /etc/modules.d/alsa
Code:
alias /dev/dsp snd-pcm-oss
alias /dev/midi snd-seq-oss
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
alias sound-slot-0 snd-hda-intel

Looks like the module is loaced....
lsmod |grep hda
Code:
snd_hda_intel          17560  0
snd_hda_codec         127360  1 snd_hda_intel
snd_pcm                47236  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
snd                    33380  6 snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer
snd_page_alloc         10248  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm

tail -f /var/log/messages/
Code:
Jun 29 19:53:58 genx ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:00:1b.0 disabled
Jun 29 19:53:58 genx ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1b.0[B] -> Link [LNKB] -> GSI 11 (level, low) -> IRQ 11
Jun 29 19:53:58 genx PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1b.0 to 64

dmesg
Code:
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1b.0[B] -> Link [LNKB] -> GSI 11 (level, low) -> IRQ 11

Devices are there
ls -ltr /dev/snd/
Code:
total 0
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 33 Jun 29 19:53 timer
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116,  1 Jun 29 19:54 seq
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116,  0 Jun 29 19:54 controlC0
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 24 Jun 29 19:54 pcmC0D0c
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 16 Jun 29 19:54 pcmC0D0p

/proc/asound/devices same as previous
/proc/asound/modules same as previous

Tried to unmute,
amixer set Master 100 unmute && amixer set PCM 100 unmute
Code:
Simple mixer control 'Master',0
  Limits: Playback 0 - 39
  Mono:
  Front Left: Playback 39 [100%] [0.00dB]
  Front Right: Playback 39 [100%] [0.00dB]
amixer: Unable to find simple control 'PCM',0

Still no sound.

I tried to add the line special thinkpad tweak
echo 'options snd-hda-intel model=thinkpad' >> /etc/modules.d/alsa
update-modules
/etc/init.d/alsasound restart

dmesg
Code:

tail -f /var/log/messages
Code:
Jun 29 20:13:53 genx ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:00:1b.0 disabled
Jun 29 20:13:53 genx ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:00:1b.0[B] -> Link [LNKB] -> GSI 11 (level, low) -> IRQ 11
Jun 29 20:13:53 genx PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1b.0 to 64

Do you have any more ideas?
johnny99
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Referencing http://www.klabs.be/~fpiat/linux/debian/Etch_on_Thinkpad_T61.html
In the Sound section, Andrew Clunis has a python script that makes sound work.
After playing his script , I can play sound.
I only have software control over the volume...

Should I leave this open until a better solution evolves?
didymos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnny99 wrote:
I believe if /etc/modules.d/alsa contains info about the card, then /etc/modules.conf shouldn't.

Yeah, it should. That's what update-modules does: reads the files in /etc/modules.d/ then integrates them into modules.conf. The reason it doesn't is probably because module-init-tools wasn't built with the
old-linux USE flag. Try this:
Code:

update-modules -v

If it says something about "prerequisites not satisfied", then modules.conf isn't being updated and alsasound will just keep complaining that custom settings weren't found. Or just do "emerge -pv module-init-tools". Either way, add the USE flag and rebuild module-init-tools if it wasn't set. If that flag is enabled then try doing:
Code:

update-modules -v -f

Quote:

I commented out the 3 options in /etc/conf.d/alsasound
Code:
#ENABLE_OSS_EMUL="yes"
#RESTORE_ON_START="yes"
#SAVE_ON_STOP="yes"

Why? Uncomment them and just let /etc/init.d/alsasound handle the save and restore stuff.
johnny99
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried your suggestions:
update-modules -v
Code:
 * Skipping /etc/modules.conf generation (prerequisites not satisfied)
 * Skipping /etc/modprobe.conf generation (file is newer than dependencies)update-modules -v
 * Skipping /etc/modprobe.conf generation (file is newer than dependencies)

Sure enough, you are correct about the output, so I tried your next suggestion.
emerge -vta module-init-tools
Code:
Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ] sys-apps/module-init-tools-3.2.2-r3  USE="-old-linux" 0 kB

eix module-init-tools
Code:
[I] sys-apps/module-init-tools
     Available versions:  3.2.2-r3
     Installed versions:  3.2.2-r3(02:08:44 AM 06/30/2007)(-old-linux)
     Homepage:            http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/rusty/modules
     Description:         Kernel module tools for the 2.6 kernel

update-modules
update-modules -v
Code:
 * Skipping /etc/modprobe.conf generation (file is newer than dependencies)

I'm confused by all this... Should I use the USE flag old-linux? this is a new install.

... But, due to a bug between the alsa libs & driver with the Thinkpad T61 AD1984 card and 2.6.20 kernel, all the volume is permenantly muted. Referencing http://www.klabs.be/~fpiat/linux/debian/Etch_on_Thinkpad_T61.html By playing Andrew Clunis python script, which sends a tone to an ioctl KIOCSOUND, the speakers wake up and play music. After playing his script , I can play sound. Looking at the alsa development site, the T61 is mentioned in the change logs for the newest drivers. http://www.alsa-project.org/changes/v1-0-14rc4--v1-0-14.txt.

Hoping the latest version of the alsa packages might solve my problem, I tried the latest stuff but I get Oops's, so I need to prepare a bug for alsa group, or figure out if this is local to my installation.
Steps taken so far:
Unmask alsa stuff
Code:
cat >> /etc/portage/package.unmask <<'EOF'
x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers
media-libs/alsa-lib
media-libs/alsa-oss
media-sound/alsa-driver
media-sound/alsa-headers
EOF
cat >> /etc/portage/package.keywords <<'EOF'
media-libs/alsa-lib      ~x86
media-libs/alsa-oss      ~x86
media-sound/alsa-driver  ~x86
media-sound/alsa-headers ~x86
EOF

Rebuild the kernel, removing
Code:
genkernel --menuconfig --no-clean --gensplash=livecd-2007.0 --gensplash-res=1440x900 all
Device Drivers--->Sound--->Advanced Linux Sound Architecture--->< > Advanced Linux Sound Architecture

Reboot
Install alsa stuff
Code:
emerge --update --newuse --deep -ta  alsa-lib alsa-driver alsa-headers

Now I have the newest of the new installed.
Code:
  media-libs/alsa-lib-1.0.14a
  media-libs/alsa-oss-1.0.14_rc4
  media-sound/alsa-driver-!9999
  media-sound/alsa-headers-!9999
  media-sound/alsa-utils-1.0.14_rc2-r3

Upon rebooted I get non-fatal Oops in dmesg.
Code:
BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 00000000
 printing eip:
f911c973
*pde = 00000000
Oops: 0000 [#1]
SMP
Modules linked in: ipv6 rtc smapi thinkpad tp_smapi tp_base ibm_acpi usbvideo compat_ioctl32 videodev v4l2_common v4l1_compat pcmcia firmware_class nvidia(P) agpgart wlan_scan_sta ath_rate_sample(F) yenta_socket rsrc_nonstatic pcmcia_core ath_pci(F) wlan ath_hal(P) pcspkr i2c_i801 i2c_core snd_hda_intel snd_pcm snd_timer snd snd_page_alloc eth1394 lpfc megaraid_sas megaraid_mbox megaraid_mm aacraid 3w_9xxx 3w_xxxx mptfc scsi_transport_fc mptspi mptscsih mptbase atp870u dc395x qla1280 dmx3191d sym53c8xx qlogicfas408 aha152x BusLogic aic7xxx aic79xx scsi_transport_spi sg tg3 e1000 nfs lockd sunrpc jfs raid10 raid1 raid0 dm_mirror dm_mod ata_piix ahci libata sbp2 ohci1394 ieee1394 sl811_hcd usbhid ohci_hcd uhci_hcd usb_storage ehci_hcd usbcore
CPU:    0
EIP:    0060:[<f911c973>]    Tainted: PF     VLI
EFLAGS: 00210297   (2.6.20-gentoo-r8 #11)
eax: f9146c20   ebx: 00000004   ecx: 00000003   edx: f4035e04
esi: 00000000   edi: f4035e5c   ebp: f623434c   esp: f4035dd0
ds: 007b   es: 007b   ss: 0068
Process kmixctrl (pid: 12155, ti=f4035000 task=f6278030 task.ti=f4035000)
Stack: f62e8440 f4035e04 bfe47020 f90c416c c167fbe0 bfe47020 f3f8e840 c167fa80
       c167faa0 c167fac0 00000000 f62e84a8 00000000 00000011 00000002 00000000
       00000000 75706e49 6f532074 65637275 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000
Call Trace:
 [<f90c416c>] <0> [<f90c3d99>] <0> [<c016b75b>] <0> [<c016b9e2>] <0> [<c016ba27>] <0> [<c0102ce6>] <0> =======================
Code: c3 57 56 53 8d 7a 58 c7 42 40 03 00 00 00 c7 42 48 01 00 00 00 8b 08 89 4a 50 8b 4a 54 8b 18 8d 73 ff 39 d9 0f 43 ce 8b 74 c8 04 <ac> aa 84 c0 75 fa 5b 31 c0 5e 5f c3 55 89 c5 57 31 c0 56 89 d7
EIP: [<f911c973>]  SS:ESP 0068:f4035dd0

So, unfortunately I don't have a great solution yet, but I'm trying to sneak up on one.
didymos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

didymos wrote:
Either way, add the USE flag and rebuild module-init-tools if it wasn't set.

didymos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnny99 wrote:

Code:

media-sound/alsa-driver-!9999
  media-sound/alsa-headers-!9999

I wouldn't use the development code. The current versions of the alsa packages are:
Code:

media-libs/alsa-lib-1.0.14a
media-libs/alsa-oss-1.0.14
media-plugins/alsa-plugins-1.0.14
media-sound/alsa-driver-1.0.14
media-sound/alsa-headers-1.0.14
media-sound/alsa-tools-1.0.14
media-sound/alsa-utils-1.0.14

and actually, the alsa-driver package is probably going to go away in the near future. There was an announcement in the forums, but I can't find the stupid thing for some reason.
johnny99
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

didymos wrote:
didymos wrote:
Either way, add the USE flag and rebuild module-init-tools if it wasn't set.

I looked up old-linux USE flag, from http://www.gentoo.org/dyn/use-index.xml.
The description says, "Add support for linux-2.4 and older".
I'm not running anything older than 2.6, so I assume my system is correct, and no sound configuration is needed in /etc/modules.conf. I think the new way of handling things is by putting configs in /etc/modules.d/<thing>
ChazeFroy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sound working on my T61 using the following commands. However, the silver volume buttons to increase and decrease the volume do not work (mute button works).

Code:

sudo rmmod snd_hda_intel snd_hda_codec snd_pcm snd_timer snd snd_page_alloc
rsync -avz --delete rsync://alsa.alsa-project.org/hg your_directory
cd your_directory/alsa-driver
autoconf
./configure --with-cards=all
./cvscompile --with-cards=all
sudo make install
sudo modprobe snd-hda-intel
alsamixer

Finally, add your user to the "audio" group in /etc/group
didymos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In X you can use the xev utility to find out what the keycodes generated by the volume keys are, and depending on the DE used (i.e, gnome,kde, etc.) configure them with a utility. Often it's a default part of the install. Xmodmap can be used as well.
johnny99
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

didymos wrote:
In X you can use the xev utility to find out what the keycodes generated by the volume keys are, and depending on the DE used (i.e, gnome,kde, etc.) configure them with a utility. Often it's a default part of the install. Xmodmap can be used as well.

Press Down arrow:
Code:
KeyPress event, serial 31, synthetic NO, window 0x5e00001,
    root 0x102, subw 0x0, time 763697, (292,-171), root:(292,336),
    state 0x0, keycode 174 (keysym 0x0, NoSymbol), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
    XFilterEvent returns: False

Release Down arrow:
Code:
KeyRelease event, serial 31, synthetic NO, window 0x5e00001,
    root 0x102, subw 0x0, time 763889, (292,-171), root:(292,336),
    state 0x0, keycode 174 (keysym 0x0, NoSymbol), same_screen YES,

Press Up arrow:
Code:
KeyPress event, serial 31, synthetic NO, window 0x5e00001,
    root 0x102, subw 0x0, time 1273677, (296,-99), root:(296,408),
    state 0x0, keycode 176 (keysym 0x0, NoSymbol), same_screen YES,
    XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:

Release Up arrow:
Code:
KeyRelease event, serial 31, synthetic NO, window 0x5e00001,
    root 0x102, subw 0x0, time 1273950, (296,-99), root:(296,408),
    state 0x0, keycode 176 (keysym 0x0, NoSymbol), same_screen YES,

The mute key and blue button don't produce any output.
On my older Thinkpad R51 these had a hardware controls.
didymos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but the mute button works anyway, right? What about the blue one?
johnny99
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have filed a bug:
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=184354
And:
https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=3216

And verified problem persists in sys-kernel/vanilla-sources-2.6.22_rc7
johnny99
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChazeFroy wrote:
I have sound working on my T61 using the following commands. However, the silver volume buttons to increase and decrease the volume do not work (mute button works).

Code:

sudo rmmod snd_hda_intel snd_hda_codec snd_pcm snd_timer snd snd_page_alloc
rsync -avz --delete rsync://alsa.alsa-project.org/hg your_directory
cd your_directory/alsa-driver
autoconf
./cvscompile --with-cards=all
sudo make install
sudo modprobe snd-hda-intel
alsamixer

Finally, add your user to the "audio" group in /etc/group

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. The build fails on this step:
Code:
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output file name... a.out
checking whether the C compiler works... yes
checking whether we are cross compiling... no
checking for suffix of executables...
checking for suffix of object files... o
checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yes
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for gcc option to accept ISO C89... none needed
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -E
checking for grep that handles long lines and -e... /bin/grep
checking for egrep... /bin/grep -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for an ANSI C-conforming const... yes
checking for inline... inline
checking whether time.h and sys/time.h may both be included... yes
checking whether gcc needs -traditional... no
checking for current directory... /home/jstile/your_directory/alsa-driver
./configure: line 3745: ALSA_TOPLEVEL_INIT: command not found
checking cross compile...
checking for directory with kernel source... /lib/modules/2.6.22/source
checking for directory with kernel build... /lib/modules/2.6.22/build
checking for kernel linux/version.h... yes
checking for kernel linux/autoconf.h... yes
checking for kernel version... 2.6.22
checking for GCC version... Kernel compiler: gcc 4.1.2 (Gentoo 4.1.2) Used compiler: gcc (GCC) 4.1.2 (Gentoo 4.1.2)
checking for built-in ALSA... no
checking for existing ALSA module... no
checking for Red Hat kernel... auto
checking for Red Hat kernel... no
checking for SUSE kernel... auto
checking for SUSE kernel... no
checking for CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL... yes
checking for kernel linux/config.h... no
Creating <linux/config.h>...
checking to modify of kernel linux/kmod.h... no
checking for kernel linux/utsrelease.h... yes
checking for kernel linux/compiler.h... yes
checking for kernel linux/pm.h... yes
checking for kernel linux/spinlock.h... yes
checking for kernel linux/irq.h... yes
checking for kernel linux/threads.h... yes
checking for kernel linux/rwsem.h... yes
checking for kernel linux/gameport.h... yes
checking for kernel media/v4l2-dev.h... yes
checking for kernel linux/devfs_fs_kernel.h... no
Creating a dummy <linux/devfs_fs_kernel.h>...
checking for kernel linux/highmem.h... yes
checking for kernel linux/workqueue.h... yes
checking for kernel linux/dma-mapping.h... yes
checking for kernel asm/hw_irq.h... yes
checking for kernel linux/device.h... yes
checking for kernel linux/platform_device.h... yes
checking for kernel linux/isa.h... yes
checking for kernel linux/jiffies.h... yes
checking for kernel linux/compat.h... yes
checking for kernel linux/log2.h... yes
checking for kernel linux/adb.h... yes
checking for kernel linux/cuda.h... yes
checking for kernel linux/pmu.h... yes
checking for kernel linux/moduleparam.h... yes
checking for kernel linux/syscalls.h... yes
checking for kernel linux/firmware.h... yes
checking for kernel linux/err.h... yes
checking for kernel linux/bitmap.h... yes
checking for kernel linux/mutex.h... yes
checking for kernel linux/latency.h... yes
checking for kernel asm/irq_regs.h... yes
checking for kernel module symbol versions... yes
checking for PCI support in kernel... yes
checking for I2C driver in kernel... module
checking for I2C_POWERMAC in kernel... unknown
checking for firmware loader... yes
checking for input subsystem in kernel... yes
checking for directory to store kernel modules... /lib/modules/2.6.22/kernel/sound
checking for verbose procfs... on
checking for verbose printk... on
checking for debug level... none
checking for ISA support in kernel... yes
checking for processor type... i686
checking for i386 machine type... default
checking for ISA DMA API... yes
checking for SMP... yes
checking for Video device support in kernel... yes
checking for ISA PnP driver in kernel... yes
checking for PnP driver in kernel... yes
checking for Kernel ISA-PnP support... yes
checking for strlcpy... yes
checking for snprintf... yes
checking for vsnprintf... yes
checking for scnprintf... yes
checking for sscanf... yes
checking for vmalloc_to_page... yes
checking for old kmod... no
checking for PDE... yes
checking for pci_set_consistent_dma_mask... yes
checking for pci_dev_present... yes
checking for msleep... yes
checking for msleep_interrupt... yes
checking for msecs_to_jiffies... yes
checking for tty->count is the atomic type... no
checking for video_get_drvdata... yes
checking for V4L1 layer... yes
checking for io_remap_pfn_range... yes
checking for kcalloc... yes
checking for kstrdup... yes
checking for kzalloc... yes
checking for create_workqueue with flags... no
checking for saved_config_space in pci_dev... yes
checking for new pci_save_state... yes
checking for register_sound_special_device... yes
checking for driver version... 1.0.14
checking for sequencer support... yes
checking for OSS/Free emulation... yes
checking for OSS PCM plugin system inclusion... yes
checking for RTC callback support in kernel... yes
checking for HPET support... no
checking for dynamic minor numbers... no
checking for support of old API... yes
checking for Procfs support... yes
checking for USB support... yes
checking for class_simple... no
checking for old driver suspend/resume callbacks... no
checking for removal of page-reservation for nopage/mmap... yes
checking for nested class_device... yes
checking for new IRQ handler... yes
checking for gfp_t... yes
checking for PnP suspend/resume... yes
checking for new unlocked/compat_ioctl... yes
checking for x86-compatible PC... yes
checking for High-Res timers... yes
checking for PC-Speaker hook... no
checking for kernel PCMCIA
checking for PCMCIA support... yes
checking for PC9800 support in kernel... no
checking for parallel port support... yes
checking for power management... yes
./configure: line 11646: ALSA_TOPLEVEL_SELECT: command not found
./configure: line 11659: ALSA_TOPLEVEL_DEFINES: command not found
./configure: line 11669: ALSA_TOPLEVEL_OUTPUT: command not found
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating version
config.status: creating Makefile.conf
config.status: WARNING:  Makefile.conf.in seems to ignore the --datarootdir setting
config.status: creating snddevices
config.status: creating utils/alsa-driver.spec
config.status: creating utils/buildrpm
config.status: error: cannot find input file: toplevel.config.in
wi!dfire
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Got it working! Reply with quote

I have a T61 and had problems with sound as well. However, I got it working by downloading alsa-driver out of the ALSA Project's mercurial repository. I wrote up some instructions for someone else having issues with the snd-hda-intel driver over at this thread:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-568135-start-0-postdays-0-postorder-asc-highlight-.html

With the T61, alsamixer displays the channels a little differently than I've seen before. PCM controls volume as usual, but it can't be specifically muted or unmuted. If you want to turn on the laptop speakers, unmute 'Speakers' (far right channel), and to turn on the headphone jack, unmute 'Headphone' (far left channel). I also found that the silver mute button mutes sound, but to turn sound back on you need to press the Volume Up button. Volume Down doesn't seem to do anything.

Cheers,
-wi!dfire
johnny99
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] t61 Intel 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller Reply with quote

We have a winner! That is great! Sound works with your solution on the t61! Yay!
Hopefully the standard alsa packages adopt what is right about your method so the install gets easier.
Thank You Very Much!
wi!dfire
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see it works, mate! Hopefully we'll see the fix in the next stable release of alsa-driver, so we don't have to rely on potentially unstable drivers. ;)
mattst88
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Got it working! Reply with quote

wi!dfire wrote:
I also found that the silver mute button mutes sound, but to turn sound back on you need to press the Volume Up button. Volume Down doesn't seem to do anything.

Also, if you set the volume up and down buttons to change the volume with gnome, they will incorrectly change microphone volume and not PCM.

Open alsamixer and press them a few times.

Anyone know how to make them change PCM volume and not the mic?
tibyke
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need at least version 1.0.15rc2 of the alsa drivers to get sound working properly. These are not yet included with any Linux distribution so you will need to compile and install them yourself.

t
mattst88
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: Got it working! Reply with quote

|mattst88| wrote:
wi!dfire wrote:
I also found that the silver mute button mutes sound, but to turn sound back on you need to press the Volume Up button. Volume Down doesn't seem to do anything.

Also, if you set the volume up and down buttons to change the volume with gnome, they will incorrectly change microphone volume and not PCM.

Open alsamixer and press them a few times.

Anyone know how to make them change PCM volume and not the mic?

Found it:

In gnome, go to System -> Preferences -> Sound. Under Default Mixer Tracks, click PCM.
wi!dfire
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

As of kernel version 2.6.24-r1, alsa can be compiled built-in to the kernel without any issues. For the volume buttons, I decided to use xbindkeys and amixer to manipulate the channel levels and mute status. If you want to do it this way, emerge xbindkeys and add the following to your .xbindkeys file:

Code:
# vol up and unmute
"amixer -c 0 set Headphone unmute & amixer -c 0 set Speaker unmute & amixer -c 0 set PCM 1%+"
        c:176

# vol down
"amixer -c 0 set PCM 1%-"
        c:174

# mute
"amixer -c 0 set Headphone mute & amixer -c 0 set Speaker mute"
        c:160

Note that if you do it this way, the mute button will not unmute the headphone and speaker channels. Instead, use the volume-up button to do so. Also, xbindkeys needs to be started every time you boot your computer, so you need to find a way to do that (I'm still looking for the best way to do that; if anyone has any suggestions, they'd be greatly appreciated). Also, if you go looking for kernel 2.6.24-r1, it's still masked under ~x86 in the portage tree.
mattst88
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use gnome, System -> Preferences -> Session. Add to autostart.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: