Internet-Cafe with Linux?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mimamau
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 10:21 pm    Post subject: Internet-Cafe with Linux? Reply with quote

Hi, I'm about to setup an Internet-Cafe in a few weeks. What do you think about using Linux on the clients? Which browser would you recommend? KDE, Gnome, ...? Is the normal linux user management enough to make these boxes safe, so nobody can break the system?
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some thoughts:

• Search google for "linux kiosk" and you should get a lot of good results about locking down a box for public use.
  • Search google for "linux internet cafe" and you'll get some more great hits, including a couple HOWTOs specifically geared for running linux in an internet cafe.
  • I'd say Mozilla is the best browser to use, simply because it's going to have the best support across the most websites. Mozilla also has a kiosk mode. (Opera might be a good choice, but that costs money and I'm not sure it would be worth it)
  • I wouldn't use KDE or Gnome -- both are probably way more than you need for a simple internet station. Instead, look at a lightweight window manger like blackbox or fluxbox.
  • While I think using linux for an internet cafe is a great idea, the one problem you will run into is the fact that a significant number of web sites will only work on IE. Not sure how big of a deal that is to you or your customers, but something to keep in mind.

phantasm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to help ya out I just read an article about this on a week or so ago

http://www.dnalounge.com/backstage/src/kiosk/
Zu`
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd install KDE (easy for people used to using Windows; and most people used to linux can use this aswell -- if they want to ;)) and configure it so people can easily browse the web, check their mail etc.
It's no use installing fluxbox on it, since people will have to find out first how it works if they're not familiar with it (Not that I don't like fluxbox, it's my personal wm of choice for every day use!)

Next, make some shortcuts on the desktop so it's easy to access a browser/mail client.

As browser, I'd recommend either Mozilla or Konqueror (comes with KDE). Or Galeon if you like. They're all excellent browsers.
You can install more than one, but make one easily accesible (shortcut). That way, the user doesn't have to choose for himself between browsers he doesn't know.

Try making things simple, and just let them access the stuff they need in an easy way.

I wouldn't bother too much with securing the boxes, it's pretty secure by default for normal users. Just the normal stuff: disable services that are not needed (inetd, sshd?, ftpd, httpd). And make a restricted account (change permissions on programs you don't want them to use).

Urm.. That's about all I can think about right now :)

Hope this helped a bit, it's just a few tips, however I have no experience with opening a kios/internet café

Good luck to you!
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zu` wrote:
I'd install KDE (easy for people used to using Windows; and most people used to linux can use this aswell -- if they want to ;)) and configure it so people can easily browse the web, check their mail etc.
It's no use installing fluxbox on it, since people will have to find out first how it works if they're not familiar with it

KDE offers way, way more than the average internet kiosk needs. An internet kiosk, for the most part, requires only a web browser. Period. Thus, using fluxbox (or a similar lightweight WM) and automatically launching Mozilla upon login is probably the easiest, cleanest, lightest solution.

Zu` wrote:
I wouldn't bother too much with securing the boxes, it's pretty secure by default for normal users.

Wow -- I sure don't agree with this. Leave one thing suid root that the user has write access to and you could have major problems if someone wants to create trouble for you. At the very least, you want to disable any/all access to a shell prompt. (this includes allowing a user to ctrl-alt-backspace to kill an X session) I'd also look at running the user session in a chroot'ed jail as well. No idea how hard this is to do with X, etc.

--kurt
Zu`
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
Zu` wrote:
It's no use installing fluxbox on it, since people will have to find out first how it works if they're not familiar with it

KDE offers way, way more than the average internet kiosk needs. An internet kiosk, for the most part, requires only a web browser. Period. Thus, using fluxbox (or a similar lightweight WM) and automatically launching Mozilla upon login is probably the easiest, cleanest, lightest solution.

--kurt

Good point. I didn't look at it that way.

But however, that makes me think about something else. How will they go about saving a downloaded file on a floppy or burning it on a CDr(w)? I think they might more easily find their way around in KDE.

Or perhaps another WM that's easy to learn, easy to find one's way in it.
Things should be integrated IMO. In fluxbox, we all use our fav file manager, 'cause we tested different ones and found what is best for our personal needs. Or perhaps we sticked with cp & ls in an [aEx]term.
But in KDE, the filemanager/browser is integrated in the WM, and for something like a kiosk I would prefer that. Because anyone will easily find how it works, unless they're not used to work with computers.

I like fluxbox and the way it works, and I love configuring it to my taste. However, it's not always an environment that people are used to work with.

Anyhow, one should be open for suggestions, and so am I :)
Mimamau
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allright, thanks for your ideas!
as this internet-cafe is ment to be for young persons, they will often browse to websites with lots of java-(script), flash, ... stuff on it. and these pages are often written in bad html code, you know! :)
we will have about 6 boxes so I think I'll put linux on 3 of them and windoze on the other 3. then I will look how it works and maybe switch the others to linux later.
security shouldn't be such a big problem, its just a little room, so it should be easy to observe.
Zu`
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mimamau wrote:
allright, thanks for your ideas!
as this internet-cafe is ment to be for young persons, they will often browse to websites with lots of java-(script), flash, ... stuff on it. and these pages are often written in bad html code, you know! :)
we will have about 6 boxes so I think I'll put linux on 3 of them and windoze on the other 3. then I will look how it works and maybe switch the others to linux later.
security shouldn't be such a big problem, its just a little room, so it should be easy to observe.

Good luck
And let us know how things are going :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: