USB Modem problem
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
genbie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 2:52 pm    Post subject: USB Modem problem Reply with quote

Hi,

I have the Alcatel Speedtouch modem, and it used to work perfectly when I first installed gentoo (and I was using gentoo-sources). Now, in my second installation (vanilla-sources) the modem is not working :(

When I run

Code:

/etc/ini.d/speedtouch start

it says something like:

Code:

/sbin/execute/runscript.sh: Can't execute binary file
Can't load microcode
Please detach and attach again your modem to the USB port to unload the microcode

The modem is working alright under RedHat and Windows.

Also, I don't know if this relevant but I noticed a message during bootup saying that USB device 2 ---- is not claimed by any driver but it was not a FAILED message.

Thanks for any advice!
sjenkins
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same error with a USB flash drive. It went away and the drive worked fine after
Code:
emerge hotplug
genbie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the reply. Unfortunately, it still does not work (same error message) :( The problem is that I am stuck with vanilla-sources because it does recognize all of my RAM. It has no problems with HIGHMEM enabled in the kernel configuration.

I tried gentoo-sources (which used to work with the USB modem) but has big problems with HIGHMEM enabled in the kernel configuration and having nvidia installed on the system (it does not even finish booting and I have kernel panic). Same thing with gs-sources.

So I am either stuck with vanilla-sources (no RAM problem but no connection to the net), or gentoo-sources (connection to the net but does not allow HIGHMEM). BTW, I tried the stuff suggested by some of the threads here regarding gentoo-sources and HIGHMEM but for some reason it still does not work :(

Anyone has any ideas, please advice!! I am now with vanilla-sources and I also enabled USB debugging in the kernel so if anyone knows how I can sort out this problem please help!

Thanks!
ginji
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can try the pre22 kernel i hear that it has support for that modem in the kernel...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: