X window system fails to start -- Ati Radeon 9600 [solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kde_User
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: X window system fails to start -- Ati Radeon 9600 [solved] Reply with quote

I have a custom build machine, its a few years old, and after some research, i decieded to go with gentoo, rather than suse, so, i downloaded the livecd on my current Ubuntu setup (was trying several os) and burned it, and then rebooted, The system boots ok until it gets to starting x, then it has an error

(EE) dlopen: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extentions/libGLcore.so
(EE) failed ot load "GLcore" (loader failed, 7)
(EE) Failed to load module "ati" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) No drivers available.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

Let me know if u need any more information, and if i have to boot gentoo up to get it, or if i can get it via my other linux
Thanks, and looking forward to a working gentoo :)

Last edited by Kde_User on Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
gami
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got any drivers for your card installed at all? Please post the output of
Code:
emerge -pv xorg-server
and
Code:
cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
RazielFMX
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the module you are looking for is fglrx, not ati (as far as I remember, radeon is the open source driver and fglrx is the closed source). As stated above, please post the output of your xorg.conf.

Thanks...
Kde_User
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im running the live cd, and so now i am using the text installer, currently compiling the applications.
So i need to use emerge to install the fglrx driver, im really new, but i like gentoo so far, and hope it will do what i need it do.
RazielFMX
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get ATi support (dont listen to the naysayers, fglrx is the way to go):

in your /etc/make.conf:

Code:

VIDEO_CARDS="fglrx"

Then, where ARCH is your arch (ex, PPC, x86, amd64, etc)

Code:

echo "x11-drivers/ati-drivers ~x86" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords

This last line will give you the most bleeding edge driver possible, which I am a big fan of doing. I did check the current fglrx marked stable in portage, which is 8.35, which is what I used to use when I had gentoo on my desktop and is a solid driver, so you don't really need to do the above.

Then,

emerge ati-drivers

Next,

echo "fglrx" >> /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6

This last line will automatically load the fglrx driver into your kernel... Ignore the taint errors this module causes in /var/log/messages. I never figured out why they show up or how to stop them. If you have problems, these errors are a red herring, and something else is wrong.

There is a good document on ATi drivers here:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/ati-faq.xml

It is out of date though.

Once you have done all this, the last step is here:

eselect opengl set ati

And you should be good to go!

Of course, make sure you search the forums for tips on setting up your xorg.conf for ATi. I did back up my old xorg.conf from my desktop before it became straight M$, and I can post it for you if you want. You monitor settings and display settings will be different, but your driver configs and layout should be the same. If you need it that is. Just let me know and I'll dig it up. Right now Im on my gentoo laptop and dont have the file available to me.
Kde_User
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, i can use emerge ati-drivers
and then can i use aticonfig?
Currently re-starting the install, it had an error, and i accidtaly pressed "Return" while moving keyboard, *sigh*
chy1013m1
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the part where livecd won't boot into X, you can change /etc/X11/xorg.conf , under the section "Device" where it says "ati", change it to "vesa" , then you can run /etc/init.d/xdm restart.
Then you can install fglrx or r300 driver later when gentoo is installed on your HD.
azwethinkweizx23
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the a similar issue; just like chy1013m1 said, replace "ati" with "vesa". Make sure you use the /etc/init.d/xdm restart command, and not just "startx". That had me thrown for a loop for a little while :P
Kde_User
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here I go again.... The installer failed again, but this time with genkernel, and not with installing xinit...
GRR!
I think i will try getting xorg working, but gotta learn vi...
RazielFMX
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kde_User wrote:
Here I go again.... The installer failed again, but this time with genkernel, and not with installing xinit...
GRR!
I think i will try getting xorg working, but gotta learn vi...

Are you using the 'graphical' install or the command line? I recommend doing the command line, the gentoo handbook is great and makes command line install a breeze. If you are new to the command line, the handbook spells out all the commands for you, so you should have no trouble.

If you are doing the command line, what error are you getting from genkernel? I've never really played with genkernel (prefer to set up my own), but it would definitely help to see what sort of error you are getting.

Thanks.
Kde_User
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was using command line, but some feature was missing, and there were lots of errors durring install (text), with the aditional packages with x in them, seems the packages it downloaded werent compatible, so im gonna do a small install, just base and sync it then install x and all the rest, btw, this compiling takes so long, but its better than playing arround with broken package databases in suse :-)
RazielFMX
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kde_User wrote:
I was using command line, but some feature was missing, and there were lots of errors durring install (text), with the aditional packages with x in them, seems the packages it downloaded werent compatible, so im gonna do a small install, just base and sync it then install x and all the rest, btw, this compiling takes so long, but its better than playing arround with broken package databases in suse :-)

Amen to that. After getting fed up with Ubuntu and Fedora's package management on my laptop, it's running Gentoo for that very same reason.
Kde_User
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, and if i can get this to install on my desktop, then i will probaly install it on my dell inspiron 1501 laptop :) wow, its gentoo *woot*
This may very well be the distro i should have used 2 years ago :)
Keep it up gentoo devs :)
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Duplicate Threads.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: