View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ozymandias
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 2:35 pm    Post subject: nautilus alternative Reply with quote

hi there,

I use Gnome and as a file manager I use Nautilus, but I almost never use a graphical file manager, but when I do, I need it to be workable. Nautilus defenately is not! it crashes and is slow. So, any alternatives? I thought gnome came with an other file manager, searched for it only found gmc, but that one isn't in the ebuilds.

And does anybody know if Gnome 2 is using nautilus ??

greetz Ozy
gschneider
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gmc is included in mc (midniht commander)
Ozymandias
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, hoped that too, but I tried, and it didn't give me a gmc. whell, thanx for the tip anyway, at least now I know I was on the right track, will look into the mc package later on then.

greetz Ozy
Luther

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 4:10 am    Post subject: nautilus alternative Reply with quote

In the meantime there are things that you can do to speed up nautilus. Go into Preferences and turn off everything that you don't need; smoother graphics, draw desktop, tabs, thumbnails, previews, etc. You will be suprised how much this can make a difference.
Mile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 2:56 pm    Post subject: Nautilus alternative Reply with quote

Personally, I find that the file manager gentoo (confusion with the name is accidental, no relation to the distro) is probably the fastest and most configurable file manager I have come across in linux. Not pretty, but damn configurable!
Cyris
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Rox-Filer. It is extremely fast and configurable.
Ozymandias
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyris wrote:
What about Rox-Filer. It is extremely fast and configurable.

yeah sure .. but that one sucks! I can make a whole list of what is wrong with it. I only want to use a graphical filer because it sometimes is usefull, but with this one the command prompt is better..
niyogi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: nautilus alternative Reply with quote

Ozymandias wrote:

And does anybody know if Gnome 2 is using nautilus ??

I believe so. They're working on many performance improvements on Nautilus although I've never personally experienced them.

-S
parax

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 2:28 am    Post subject: Bonobo performance improved in Gnome 2 Reply with quote

Many people thinks that Nautilus is so slow for himself. But the problem was in Component Architectural of Gnome (Bonobo + OAF). These parts has been optimized with Gnome 2, and now Nautilus gets up in about 0.4-0,8 seconds. :o ¡Great! I recommend you Gnome 2 (in one month, it's expected that release version will be available). :wink:
lude
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: nautilus alternative Reply with quote

niyogi wrote:
I believe so. They're working on many performance improvements on Nautilus although I've never personally experienced them.

Yup, using it here. There's a HUGE performance increase, IMHO it's even faster than Konquerer 3.0 in the latest Snapshots, just turn off that darned sidebar. 8)
Ozymandias
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I will just wait for the official Gnome 2.0, but I am looking forward to it!

greetz Ozy
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: