Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Ridiculous dependencies, Portage, Python, Tcl/Tk, X ???
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 9:52 am    Post subject: Ridiculous dependencies, Portage, Python, Tcl/Tk, X ??? Reply with quote

I believe that the latest portage and python introduces some ridiculous dependencies, really.

I'm installing a server machine, command line only, so why on earth would I want to install the X base package ?!?!? Even with the extra OpenGL, Mesa and you name it libraries - yeah, really useful on a machine which never will touch a graphical interface.

Have you any whatsoever idea of the size of these packages ?!? The compile time ?!?

The 1.9.3 version of portage will install python-2.2-r6 which will install tcl/tk which depends on X.

Yes, I have "USE=-X -gnome -kde -gtk -tcltk ..." and most "-" things but that obviously didn't work, perhaps because of the direct dependency on tcltk for python.

Ugh, that was almost it. Really, really tired now - not to mention my 266 MHz Pentium 2 with 128 MB which was aimed as a small FTP server at the company.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try -x instead off -X

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's capital X - see /etc/make.profile/use.defaults for a list of all "USE" variables.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

There is no direct dependency on tcltk in the python ebuild, i.e.

tcltk? ( >=dev-lang/tk-8.0 )

Its optional.

Some X related USE flag is set somewhere.

Regards,

tod

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're absolutely correct. I can see that now, I checked the python ebuild file. The tcltk dependency is optional.

I really do wonder why it then downloaded (and still compiles) X? Complete mystery. The USE options I'm using is "-X -tcltk -gtk ..." and just about "-" everything.

I know that the "-X -tcltk" options worked yesterday since I built vim and without the "-X" option it will also include the x11-base/xfree-4.x.x, which it didn't.

Strange.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try this:
1/ emerge --pretend python
First check the list for real dependent packages that python needs.
If you have all of them, you can install python only:
2/ emerge -b --nodeps python
This will install python without installing tcl/tk.
You can use step 2 to install all essential dependent package of python first they are not installed yet.
I use -b option to let ermerge generate binary packages of python in /usr/portage/packages/All folder.
These binary packages will be helpful in case you need to reinstall thewhole system from the installation CD. You do not need to recompile these packages again.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: