Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Way to get KDE apps to "restore" in a non-KDE environment?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beetle B.
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:49 am    Post subject: Way to get KDE apps to "restore" in a non-KDE envi Reply with quote

I use FVWM.

KDE apps that can be "minimized to the tray" don't have a place on my current window manager to put their icon. So if I accidentally minimize, they just vanish, and I have to kill the process.

Is there a simple command line way to get such an app to "restore"? I've grown attached to Basket.

Please update the table of equivalents.
A Firefox guide.
ricce_n
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You offten can do this with dcop.

For example, to "restore" kopete:
Code:

dcop kopete mainWindow show

For kmail:
Code:

dcop kmail kmail-mainwindow#1 show

etc.

try writing writing dcop alone on the comman line will list all connected apps. writing dcop and appname will list all objects that app have, writing dcop, appname and objectname will list all functions that object have.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just depends on the exact situation.

If your problem is that you are not using a systray, then the icon that would go in the tray, must be somewhere lying around on your desktop, search for it and hopefully you will see it and will be able to restore your application using it. In this case, the way to go if you can't find the icon is dcop. Like described above. The kde system tray specification is not too funny, since no tray but the kde one seems to work ok with every kde application. The closer I got was using stalonetray (I think there's an ebuild in bugzilla, I can provide one if needed), but even stalonetray fails with some kde applications. So, if you are not using a tray program, you should configure your applications not to use the tray icon. It can *almost* always be disabled. And by disabling it, you will remove the possibility of making your apps dissapear.
ThomasAdam
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Way to get KDE apps to "restore" in a non-KDE Reply with quote

Beetle B. wrote:
I use FVWM.

KDE apps that can be "minimized to the tray" don't have a place on my current window manager to put their icon. So if I accidentally minimize, they just vanish, and I have to kill the process.

Except of course, they don't disappear:

Code:
Next (some_window, Iconic) Iconify off

-- Thomas Adam
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most kde apps which have a running system tray icon, including basket, should pop up the old window if you execute the application again.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Way to get KDE apps to "restore" in a non-KDE Reply with quote

ThomasAdam wrote:
Beetle B. wrote:
I use FVWM.

Except of course, they don't disappear:

Code:
Next (some_window, Iconic) Iconify off

-- Thomas Adam

I don't think he is talking about Iconified apps, but about those apps that, when you close them, are not any more iconified or in your taskbar. When they only reside in the tray, as far as I know, that will not work, since they are not really iconified (and even if they are, that is not the cause why they become invisible).

I just tried with psi to test before posting.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Way to get KDE apps to "restore" in a non-KDE Reply with quote

6thpink wrote:
I don't think he is talking about Iconified apps, but about those apps that, when you close them, are not any more iconified or in your taskbar. When they only reside in the tray, as far as I know, that will not work, since they are not really iconified (and even if they are, that is not the cause why they become invisible).

I just tried with psi to test before posting.
I did have "the window was closed (not minimized) and system tray is running somewhere in background" in mind when I wrote the above post. Simply executing the application again works ,i.e. it "unminimizes" the old window, in many cases (basket, amarok, kopete, etc).
Beetle B.
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, both the dcop and simply re-executing basket were good things to know.

(And yes, the problem is that it is not iconified).

Please update the table of equivalents.
A Firefox guide.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: