View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 18, 19, 20  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grobister
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

// Warning late comer to the thread & not much of a forum user... yet!

I use Gentoo simply because i just feel most comfortable with it.

having used a lot of other distros, windows and freeBSD Gentoo is just what I like most.

debian is also great and I would like to try is it arch linux that I been hearing so much about?
Akkara
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Gentoo primarily so that I can reply to threads like this one! ;)

Seriously, because it does what I need done. Other distributions work fine for a while, eventually it comes time for a major update which usually means installing the new release, and I'd find lots of things changed, old things missing, new things taking their place, and generally took a chunk of time to get the flow going again.

With Gentoo the updates happen more frequently but much more incrementally and I can see things coming and plan ahead. Even things like xmms being removed - the executable was still there, just that portage was complaining. I knew I would have to do something about that eventually but I didn't have to stop _right_ _then_ and fix it - it could wait. On other distributions it would have been fine all along right up until I load the newer version and all of the sudden, "huh where did <package> go?"

Also, sooner or later I'd want to install some package that needed some newer libraries and it happened those newer libraries weren't compatible with the rest of the system and before you knew it I'd end up rebuilding a good part of the system anyway, and if I'm doing that, may as well use Gentoo and have it taken care of for me :)

Edit: Oh, and also because, in the past, when I'd search the web for answers to various problems I'd run into, a good number of times I found the answer on these forums. So it made sense to try gentoo... and I liked it a lot.
oFeK
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use gentoo mainly because it does what its suppose to do.
In the last year of using gentoo I haven't found a problem I couldn't fix and every program and config I need is here the openbox menus are perfectly in order and the computer just lives in harmony with the OS.
I've been trying every new known distro since then but even as a distros freak I couldn't find any good reason to switch.
Gentoo fulfills anything and everything I need from an OS. without programs it uses 25 ram and even though I don't need such a fast OS its nice when the OS doesn't get in the way of doing what u want to do (like vista for instance)
Emerge is the best in its field not only because its database has every bleeding edge software I need (~x86), but because it so easy to add new ones and it so easy to fix bad builds. When something is compiled from source anyone who knows a bit of coding can fix problems in no time, a thing that was a lot harder for me with debs and rpms.
So all in all .. I just can't think of a good reason to move and its the first time I passed the 3 months limit with the same distro.
zeroth
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it started out as a bold endeavor into this crazy thing they called "source-based distros".

Then I realized how much work it was going to take to install it, and that there was a large amount of documentation. I realized how much I could learn from Gentoo, so at that point that's what it became.

Now that I consider myself a fully competent Gentoo Linux user and sysadmin, it's all about the large package repository, the ease of creating ebuilds, and the elegance of portage.
LikwidFire
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually enjoy Gentoo because for a million different reasons. I personally hate Windows, it is horribly written (Flame me if you want). Case in point, today at work I plugged in a SanDisk Cruzer with the retarded U3 software on it. Windows actually forced me to reboot my computer before I could use it, then decided that it didn't like the Thumb Drive and I could not use it. In Gentoo all I have to do (assuming I don't have it set up for automount) is mount /dev/sdb /mnt/usb and I have everything I need in front of me. I don't have too much against Microsoft specifically as I do own an original Xbox and an xbox360 which I love to death. Everything I have right now is running gentoo, or a form of Gentoo. There are alot of Linux Distros that make it very hard to manage software. They are getting better with it now, but if I want to install something, I do emerge --search, find it and emerge it simple as that. apt-get isn't very friendly as you have to figure out which mirrors you need to install the software you want, then look through a database to find what your looking for. If I want to unmerge a package, i do just that. Everything i need is in portage, I love it. I am also very impressed with the community, if I ever need any help, you guys are right there for me. Weather it is on the message boards or in #gentoo. Installing Gentoo through command line is a pain in the balls, but you learn so much from it. The first time I tried it I didn't know that much about Linux, and in the couple hours it took to get Gentoo booting into tty1 i learned more than in my 2 years of College about Linux (Even with my Linux+ Certification course). Sure it took me a few tries and sometimes I still want to throw my computer through a wall when I can't get X running or my PVR-350 working correctly the first time, but when you get it going, you are happy because you did something. Its not like throwing a driver CD in and clicking next until you see video. I love that I can run it on my Xbox (Which is what got me into it in the first place), and the fact that I can keep tabs on all my computers through SSH (Soon to be Cacti once I figure it out) and I love MythTV and the fact that people that are passionate about Linux are the ones creating it, not some MIT grads looking for a paycheck. The one thing that I do not like is Gaming (But thats why i have an xbox360!, once again, flame if you so choose.) I have tried Cedega, and the support sucks. I give them credit for trying to put something into Linux that is very much lacking at the moment, but I lost respect for them once it took them a week to give me some dumb answer that had nothing to do with anything. Why do my models in EQ only have a torso? They told me to try a different version of Cedega, and all i ended up having to do was fiddle around with the options (Note that EQ is an officially supported game) Thats about all I can come up with for now, Ill get back to ya if I think of anything else.
Kollin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly!
Gentoo treats it`s users like a smart people that are willing to learn.Windows treats it`s users like idiots :wink:
Cyker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo - Its like LFS without all the hard work.
Gentoo - Its like Slackware but totally different.
jsf_x35a
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pretty much use Gentoo because I don't like installing unnecessary packages on my system and adding to bloat. When I was using XP, about 4GB of my hard disk space just for installing the system. With Gentoo it's gone down to about 1GB.
lonrot_m
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the first reason why i started using gentoo was because the massive customization you can do in it.
But the reasons why i stayed with gentoo are
*This forum, which is amazingly good.
*Everything works with a little bit of tweak.
*Portage is sweet
*GENTOO RULES!!
Jell-O-Fishi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flexibility and the great forums/wiki
justincataldo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The emerge system saves me time. No more hunting for dependancies.
I also like the bleeding edge stuff. 95% of the time, it's in portage! :D

JC

Last edited by justincataldo on Thu May 31, 2007 1:14 am; edited 1 time in total
vertaxis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Portage. Emerge THIS!
2. Minimalist install. I choose what to install beyond the core OS.
3. Stage 1 installs.
Lactobacillus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emerge system
practice my linux knowledge
flexibility
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because portage is the only package manager employed by a distro worthy of the name with a package count to match. Also the devs have been great with dealing with my ebuild submissions.
ComicBookGuy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Gentoo, because it increases my independence. I don't want to depend on Ubuntu/Canonical. Who knows how long they will have enough money for advertisments, etc.
rafo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using Gentoo for the usual reasons: Ease of keeping the system up-to-date, ease of administering services, helpful documentation, friendly user community. And just feel the spirit of an announcement like this one: http://www.math.utexas.edu/pipermail/maxima/2007/006427.html!

(Maxima is a descendant of Macsyma, only available at frontline academic sites such as MIT in the early days.)
arnuld
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i installed gentoo and used it for a while without any X. then i removed it as it was compiling, compiling and compiling. i installed CRUX and played with it for sometime, removed it and installed Arch, it did not even stand for 1 day, then BLAG which takes 12 minutes to install with full GNOME, xmms, kdelibs & apt-get (my favourite). it stood for 4 days and then i reinstalled CRUX, after 2 days i reinstalled Arch. no matter what i tried i did not feel satisfied. i felt as if they are taking away my rights,my rights on how to live my life (or better my software-life ;-). after 3 months of distro-dancing (from March 2007 to May 2007) i came back to Gentoo, this time with new 2007.0 amd64 minimal CD.

i have noticed one thing, "pain of compilation-time" is not in the computer, it is *inside* the brain of the user, computer only takes its time, pain and misery of compilation are only in our brains,our thoughts. now i am not saying compilation is no-pain. of course, it takes time and it is not so big pain in the ass. you just need to have some patience. you do not need gentoo only if it does not fit your taste/requirements but at least try it for once and 60% of the times your requirements will change. i always hated compiling from source as i have seen dependency-problems on Fedora, around 80% times "./configure -- make -- make install" just fails but i always loved apt-get. just do "apt-get install xmms" -- installed, it is FAST but in the end source based distros are more reliable and stable than binary ones. i use Gentoo because of these 2 major reasons:

1.) extreme reliability and stability
2.) minimalism and clarity.

i also have other happinesses/satisfactions from Gentoo like:

1.) extraordinary documentation and community. never going to find like this one :-)
2.) though nobody advocates Gentoo in terms KISS, i believe its design follows the simplicity and elegance of creation.
xstaticxgpx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

customize-able, great community, never boring, and it challenges me where no other distro has
kernelcowboy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

- The community
- It's inexpensive
- It's a challenge and educational
- It's comfortable (after a few years of using it.)
tanderson
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With any amount of Linux experience Gentoo can be comfortable within a few months. I came from SuSE(blech.) and Slackware(nice, but no Package manager) and Gentoo was a dream come true. I was completely familiar within a month or two and think myself to be a fairly advanced user(in gentoo).

I think the key is to have an open mind. You don't want to think: "Wah, Ubuntu/Fedora/PClinuxOS does it this way, and I want it that way". You must be open to the Gentoo way, and in due time will understand why everything is how it is. Well some things. :wink:

Cheers.

--The Prisoner
kernelcowboy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh please. my comfortable, I mean know and like the tools and how to use them.
There are quite a few under Gentoo.
tanderson
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't mean it with any disrespect to you! I was observing something I commonly see with new people coming to Gentoo.

And yes, I must agree, Gentoo has sooo many tools it is ridiculous ( Three Package Managers !?!)

--The Prisoner
jlh
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all! I'm using Gentoo since January 2007 and very happy so far.

My reason to choose Gentoo was that it is the closest to what I had before. I had a self-made linux system, where all the burden of fixing things and installing software from source laid on me. This is very highly educational, but it's also a lot of work and I often ended up borrowing build instructions from the LFS project (a great thing!) for difficult packages. Also, as soon as I got lazy, the system was outdated quickly and I often forgot to check for new versions of boring packages and of course often wasn't notified about security issues that arise. It was fun to do for a few years, but now I'm very happy that portage updates/notifies me about new versions and security fixes for all of the installed packages. Now I have more time to actually be productive. Also, the USE flags allow almost the same degree of configurability as I had before; while other distros do allow some choice about how much of a package gets installed, Gentoo definitely is the most fine-grained one in this regard. Still, there are a few things that I really would want to be improved in Gentoo, but so far I'm really happy.
jshanab
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:43 am    Post subject: Portage, useflags, simplicity, not presumtious Reply with quote

I am "encouraged" to run Fedora Core at work and redhat 5 is where I started. I left redhat as they tried to become a second microsoft. They dodged that bullet by quickly releasing the Fedora line but by then I had discovered portage and the easy in which my system could be kept up to date and there is NO going back!.

I realize that compileing source code takes extra time and resources, but I have found that i have spend 10 times as much time if anything goes awry with my red hat system. It also rubs me the wrong way when the red hat "experts" say i need to reinstall LOL

I do worry that to many people put too much importance on statistics like distrowatche's distro popularity. It isn't based on usage but on their web page downloads. My 5 gentoo systems 3 of them installed in 2003, each have 1 and only one download and they came from the gentoo website. Continually up to date causes a terrible slant vs binary downloads every few months. Kinda like microsoft's claims which are based on copies sold with systems. I only worry if it causes users to move away and the fantastic momentum in these forums dissappears.

Even Fedora tries to do things for you presume it knows what you want, I don't like coming in in the morning and being informed the computer has been rebooted for my benifit (Windows) (and the closing of all my open programs was insignificant? ) or haveing to make certain you turn off autoupdate(fedora) because it happens during a demo to the boss. Things get turned back on and slick wizards hide critical functionality. Fedora, in my mind, is trying to be more and more windows like every release.
HTC_apache: Next convert, my ppc6700 phone
andyandrews35
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:35 am    Post subject: My reasons Reply with quote

100% legal and free
    Love the way new technology quickly turns up as convenient ebuilds (example: Twisted Networks Web Server)
    Security of my machine
    Openbox Window Manager
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 8 of 20

Jump to: