[SOLVED] xen 3.0.4 kernel 2.6.16.33 networking not working
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smoco
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] xen 3.0.4 kernel 2.6.16.33 networking not working Reply with quote

Hi
I have installed xen 3.0.4_p1 with kernel 2.6.33 , kernel of dom0 boots , then starts xend and then net.eth0 , but I cannot connect trought eth0 eny where. If I shutdown xend and run /etc/xen/scripts/networking stop ,network is working correctly.
I'm using static dev (i tried it with udev and network still not working). I've also tried 2.6.49 kernel with same results.

** edit: corrected misleading title (was ...kernel 2.6.33 ...) -- think4urs11

Last edited by smoco on Mon May 21, 2007 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dumble
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hum.. I know nothing about Xen, but I'm sure that the latest linux kernel hasn't reached the 2.6.33 version....
After checking, the latest version is 2.6.21.1
smoco
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: kernel Reply with quote

sorry i mean 2.6.16.33
smoco
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: More informations Reply with quote

I did some tests. Frames leaving fake interface eth0 are not corrupted and are correct , bud reply don't (accoding to tcpdump output) reach peth0 ,with exeption of broadcast frames .
Networking is ok, because without xend running everything works.
tokka
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I had the same problem with xen-3.0.4 from the overlay, seems that it's been stuck into portage without any fixes which is pretty frustrating:( See https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-557032-highlight-xen.html for more people with the same problem.

My sort term solution is to start net.eth0 at boot, then manually start xend - which works for testing but means I can't use 3.0.4 with a Gentoo host for our main servers...
smoco
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Solution Reply with quote

I've found that problem was in bnx2 driver included in kernels older than 2.6.19 ( I test it only with 2.6.18 , 2.6.16.33 and older). I thing that this driver has bug in promisc mode support. Solution is to download driver from broadcom company site (this link
http://www.broadcom.com/support/ethernet_nic/downloaddrivers.php). Remove from old driver from kernel and install this original broadcom driver as a module (instructions are in driver). I found that this broadcom driver isn't working with kernel 2.6.16.33 (maybe that driver is unusable with older kernels too). I've install it on 2.6.18 (from xen 3.1 src distribution).
This NIC is part of xSeries 3650(maybe also another xSeries) so it is unusable for xen 3.0.4 and gentoo, installed by portage.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: