View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yokem55
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2002 5:58 pm    Post subject: Supermount for Gentoo? Reply with quote

One of the features that I really liked about Mandrake 8.2 was the builtin supermount support that allowed you to mount/umount cdroms automatically just by puting the disks in or taking them out....I found the web page of the guy that first programmed supermount, but it hasn't been updated since version 2.4.0 of the kernel came out...so, the supermount module there I don't think will work with the later updates to the 2.4 kernel....I also remember Mandrake had trouble with supermount in 8.0 and 8.1, and they only got it working again in 8.2...so, does anyone have any more info on how to get supermount for Gentoo?
katakombi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2002 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think automount should do the same.
However, i didn"t manage to get it running yet (unfortenately!)

if anyone knows what to put in /etc/autofs/{auto.master,auto.misc},

i'd appreciate if he drops a few lines about that...>8^)
tkdack
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2002 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the Mandrake 8.2 Kernel sources and drop them in /usr/src then build the kernel. (Use Midnight Commander to easily pull the content from an RPM)

There is nothing that says you have to use the Gentoo kernel.

You may well need some userspace utilities as well to make supermount work.

I did look at trying to pull the supermount patches out of the Mandrake kernel, but it is so heavily patched already that the supermount patches would not apply cleanly (for me) to any of the Gentoo kernel sources.

Former Gentoo contributor TaD
eclipsed
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 9:12 am    Post subject: maybe, just maybe Reply with quote

I too was scratching my head with the autofs setup and in my doing so found out that it's actually meant to be used on a network setup. (then again so is X). I was still digging around on how to get it setup but turned my attention to getting my power management fixed using ACPI on an ASUS board. Well, after reading a reply to my post on the issue (found here) I decided to go about using a vanilla kernel and the most recent JP kernel patch http://infolinux.de/jp/. Turns out that it has the supermount patch, along with most any other patch that you might need. I'm currently compiling it (well, it actually is now done..mmhm PentiumIV and 512MB) and will report back on how things go. Let's see if I can break it before anyone elses gets to eager. :)
-Adam
eclipsed
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 10:47 am    Post subject: supermount that mofo Reply with quote

Alright guys, my gentoo box now does supermounting. :) And to be honest it was really not much of a hassle. To get it going follow these steps, preferably in order:

1. Download the JP patch from here.
  2. Follow the directions given to apply the patch.
  3. Recompile your kernel with the Supermount option selected. It's under 'File Systems'. In case you are wondering, no, you do not need autofs.
  4. Reboot; make sure that kernel is going to work.
  5. Now you need to edit your /etc/fstab file. This is one of those "Look at mine." kind of things, so here is mine:
    Code:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # noatime turns of atimes for increased performance (atimes normally aren't
    # needed; notail increases performance of ReiserFS (at the expense of storage
    # efficiency).  It's safe to drop the noatime options if you want and to
    # switch between notail and tail freely.

# <fs>           <mountpoint>    <type>   <opts>        <dump/pass>

# NOTE: If your BOOT partition is ReiserFS, add the notail option to opts.
    /dev/hda1  /boot  ext3  noauto,noatime   1 1
    /dev/hda7  /  ext3  noatime   0 0
    /dev/hda6  none  swap  sw   0 0
    /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 /mnt/cdrom supermount  ro,fs=iso9660,dev=/dev/cdroms/cdrom0,--,user  0 0
    /dev/cdrw  /mnt/cdrw supermount  ro,fs=iso966,dev=/dev/cdrw,--,user   0 0
    /dev/sda4  /mnt/zip supermount  rw,fs=vfat,dev=/dev/sda4,--,user   0 0
    /dev/fd0  /mnt/floppy supermount  rw,fs=vfat,dev=/dev/fd0,--,user    0 0
    proc   /proc  proc  defaults    0 0

# glibc 2.2 and above expects tmpfs to be mounted at /dev/shm for
    # POSIX shared memory (shm_open, shm_unlink). Adding the following
    # line to /etc/fstab should take care of this:
    # (tmpfs is a dynamically expandable/shrinkable ramdisk, and will use almost no
    #  memory if not populated with files)

#tmpfs   /dev/shm tmpfs  defaults  0 0

1. A few quickies. Anything after the -- in fstab is passed to the real filesystem. So if anyone needs to pass arguments to the actually filesystem, do it there. A la 'user'.
    2. I'd advise against supermounting your harddrives...
    3. If you've never used supermount before go talk to google about it. He'll let you know what it's all about.
    4. Is this the first time google has been branded a sex? :?

6. Now, reboot again and everything will (you hope) be supermountable.
  7. Enjoy it...

-Adam
P.S.
That last reboot isn't really required. You could actually just edit fstab and then manually mount each drive and it would work the same. I just didn't take the time to type it out...typing reboot + pressing enter was faster. As a last note, I'm not sure about supermounting a burn drive. I've yet to actually use my burner under linux so if this is a problem that is known please let us know about it.
roTor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:lol:
Thanks for posting your experiences on getting supermount to work in Gentoo.
Gonna go give it a try right now. BTW I'll see what I can do with the cdrw supermount. I have Mandrake on the other box connected to my KVM
Now if the kernel maintainer would take a look at this we might see a -r7 with supermount?
:wink:
roTor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried to merge the JP-13 patch per instructions on his page and got the following error when running sh addpatches:

Current kernel version is 2.4.19-gentoo-r5
Scanning patch directory: '.'
Checking 01_kernel-sound-remove-0-pre8 (plain text format)... 1 out of 7 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file drivers/sound/ac97_codec.c.rej
Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected! Skipping patch.
1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file drivers/sound/cs46xx.c.rej
can't be applied. Please modify the patch.
alec
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eclipsed didn't seem to say which kernel he was using, but I assume it's the vanilla instead of the gentoo - that might be your problem.
roTor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think you are right.
Might just try it with the kernel.org one tho. :wink:
eclipsed
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that is using a vanilla kernel. Sorry I didn't make that clear in the second post.
-Adam
clacour
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: supermount that mofo Reply with quote

eclipsed wrote:
[snip]
/dev/cdrw /mnt/cdrw supermount ro,fs=iso966,dev=/dev/cdrw,--,user 0 0
[snip]
As a last note, I'm not sure about supermounting a burn drive. I've yet to actually use my burner under linux so if this is a problem that is known please let us know about it.

I think the supermount will work for it as a cd reader if you change the fs to iso9660 (yours is missing the zero).

I'm also pretty sure it won't work with that "ro" in there...

If you're using cdrecord to burn with, it doesn't require it to be mounted (and if it's a blank CD, it can't be mounted, anyway), so you might be best off to leave the supermount stuff set up for a CD reader.
marcus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 12:41 pm    Post subject: My supermount experiences Reply with quote

I have the feeling this thread is dead, but since this would be the right place to look in order to get "supermount" working I post my learnings here. :)

I have had supermount working for some time now, and it's very nice. I did it the way eclipsed described above, but I've just found an easier way. If you follow the eclipsed's directions and add the jp-patch, you'll also get a lot of other stuff patched, e.g. alsa sound support instead of the normal oss sound. This turned out to be a problem for me; it didn't work properly and a lot af people have had problems with alsa, so I decided to do it another way:

1. First of all you'll have to get the kernel 2.4.18 or 2.4.18-pre8. In fact I've only tried this with the 2.4.18 kernel so I don't know if the other will work. Untar this to /usr/src/

2. Then you'll have to download the patches. At the jp-patch site there's a link to the man who maintain the supermount patch (I guess?):

http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~quintela

Download the patches for your kernel version, and put them in a dir. If you do this with a browser, it may want to rename the files the extension .txt. Be sure to remove that afterwards.

3. We need a small script for easy patching: Emerge 'addpatches' and copy it into the patchdir.

4. Run 'sh addpatches' in the patchdir.

5. 'make menuconfig', supermount can be found under 'file systems' and it works both as a module or compiled into the kernel. 'make dep clean bzImage modules' and 'make install_modules'

6. Copy your new kernel into the boot directory. Remember to add modules to /etc/modules.autoload in order to get them loaded when booting. You can always find your modules in /lib/modules/2.4.18/kernel/
Also remember to edit grub or lilo, so that you'll be able to boot the kernel when rebooting.

7. Edit your /etc/fstab. Look at eclipsed's or take a look at mine:

Code:

# Copyright 1999-2002 Gentoo Technologies, Inc.
# Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License, v2 or later
# $Header: /home/cvsroot/gentoo-src/rc-scripts/etc/fstab,v 1.7 2002/05/12 21:48:18 azarah Exp $

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.

# <fs>   <mountpoint>      <type>   <opts>   <dump/pass>

/dev/hda1   /      ext3   noauto,noatime      1 1
/dev/hda2   none      swap   sw         0 0
/dev/hda3   /mnt/win   vfat            0 0
/dev/hdb   /mnt/cdrom   supermount   ro,fs=iso9660,dev=/dev/hdb,--,user   0 0
/dev/fd0   /mnt/floppy   supermount   rw,fs=vfat,dev=/dev/fd0,--,user   0 0
proc      /proc      proc   defaults      0 0

8. Reboot and enjoy... :D

I hope someone finds it usefull. Just ask if you have questions, but don't expect me to be able to answer everything....
garion911
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After seeing this thread, I decided to give things a try with getting gentoo-sources to work with the patch. I'm not a kernel hacker or anythnig, but here's my progress.

With a simply modified ebuild file, I was able to successfully patch the gentoo-sources with the supermount patch from mandrake (that link from above, not the megapatch).. I added that weblink to the list of files in the ebuild, and added line in the ebuild, and modified where they add the gentoo patch:

Code:

cat ${DISTDIR}/60_supermount.patch | patch -p1 || die
cat ${DISTDIR}/linux-gentoo-${KV}.patch.bz2 | bzip2 -d | patch -p1 -F7 || die

This patches OK. I then proceeded to create a kernel, make menuconfig. I selected Supermount in the Filesystem area. Then I did a make dep && make clean bzImage modules modules_install.

The build fails in the filesystem code somewhere.

If someone wants to play with my ebuild file to get this work, its available at: http://garion.tzo.com/gentoo. Be warned its named the same as the latest version of gentoo-sources, so make a backup.
metalhedd
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I did... I got the vanilla 2.4.18, patched it to 2.4.19-pre8 as per the instructions on the jp patch website. installed the jp patch, recompiled my kernel, as usual, and now all I get when I try to boot the new kernel is "uncompressing kernel... Ok, Booting Kernel" then it just stops dead. I've been through menuconfig 4 or 5 times trying to find what I screwed up but haven't had any luck...
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its probablyu something to do with fstab...i had it workig but couldnt do it like whats been posted...but i would get memory issues when shutting down and also issues every so often with my raid setup....so i just reinstalled the vanilla kernel ....i have never loaded a gentoo kernel or any modified kernel and had it working as stable as a linus kernel
metalhedd
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont see how it can be a problem with fstab. fstab isn't even touched until the kernel boots.
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well all i know is when i edited fstab like whats been posted here it at first gave errors on the lines i changed then i tried what another here said worked for then and it locked like you described......i have only been using linux (started with gentoo) since april...so there is plenty i dont know but seems that all the 'special kernels' are good for some configurations but not others....like a crap shoot....seems more trouble to me then its worth
metalhedd
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I got it working perfect, I just needed to do a make mrproper before building the kernel. worked perfectly and my gentoo box now does supermounting... now... DEVELOPERS!!! PUT IT IN THE GENTOO KERNEL!!!!!!!!

Last edited by metalhedd on Sat Jul 13, 2002 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
abhishek
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm, i dont think nitro and kleiber do the gentoo kernel. Maybe u want to say developers instead.
metalhedd
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There :)
jay
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two ways to achieve this:

1. File a request at bugs.gentoo.org and add the supermount patch.
-or-
2. Make an ebuild that patches the vanilla-kernels and send it to the portage maintainers
metalhedd
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, the supermount patch is a part of a much larger patch set. the jp13 patchset. so theres no way for me to extract just that particular patch. there is a supermount-only patch but its for an older version of the kernel. and I' m no kernel hacker. anyone else feeling up to trying to get this patch working for the gentoo sources so everyone can bebefit from supermount?
jay
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I modified the above samplet to create an ebuild that patches the vanilla-sources. Testers wanted:
http://cvs.berlios.de/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/ebuilds/sys-kernel/supermount-sources/?cvsroot=gentoo-deutsch

But you're right. Having this patch in gentoo-sources would be neat. Maybe there is a way applying this patch before all other gentoo patches?
Uranus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey all, I wanted to give this a go, but I'm using gentoo-sources... so none of u guys got it working with gentoo-sources?

what about this? http://freshmeat.net/projects/supermount/
Reformist
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, supermount is in the r10 gentoo sources, installing them now. Have yet to try it out.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: