Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
XBOX Gentoo install minimal cd: too old. I've a fresh new.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
messmaker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: XBOX Gentoo install minimal cd: too old. I've a fresh new. Reply with quote

Recently I needed to replace my xbox hard drive and do a new fresh Gentoo's installation.

Why Gentoo and no other distros? Because it is fully customizable, I need no user interfaces, I want to use the XBOX as a file and mail server and its minimal power (pentium III 750 and 128Mb Ram - yes, I upgraded it!) must be fully optimized for performance.

Why plain Gentoo and no Shallax' Gentoox? Because Gentoox is OLD 2.4 kernel, it is projected to run togheter with original console configuration, it is possible a "native" installation but using a kernel dated 2 years ago and lots of new programs and libraries need to be freshed.

Why not the minimal cd for XBOX on Gentoo's mirror and not the current wiki here? http://gentoo-wiki.com/Gentoo_for_Xbox
Because they are OLD, too! And to install Gentoo that way it is simply a pain, every updated packet built by portage needs to be re-configured, every snapshot newer than 2006.1 can't be chrooted, and to do such a way you need to keep you old.

Recently I found this: http://web.ivy.net/~carton/rant/gentoox/install-x86-minimal-2006.0-xbox.iso
If you want a complete description about it you can read here: http://web.ivy.net/~carton/rant/gentoox/xbox.html

There is my description, too: It is a new minimal gentoo cd that can boot on xbox, it is quite new (2006.0) and it works very well. I think it could substitute the actual iso on gentoo's ftp.
It only lacks of sshd and root's password loaded on startup, so you must access to console via keyboard, but the author (which I contacted via email) doesn't complain if you want to modify and to get it better.

After that, I personally would write a new wiki on how to install it on your xbox, and definitly mark that minimal cd as the NEW gentoo's minimal cd for XBOX.

The question, so, is very simple. What do you think?
Anubious
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+-
first off, you dont know what your are babbling about. the 2.6 kernel on an xbox is extremley glitchy. Shallax was the first to support gentoo on the xbox via gentoox till he was kicked as a developer. He did it all HIMSELF. You can do nothing elkse but follow someone elses directions and bash a man who only wanted to share gentoo with every xbox user. 2.4 kernel runs perfectly fine on a xbox and it dosent matter if you use 2.4.xx or 2.6.xx on an xbox because they both give similar performances (on an xbox)(except 2.6 is chock full of problems WITH XBOX BTW). So please, keep your webpages and your bashing to yourself if you dont know what the hell you are crapping out of your mouth.
messmaker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anubious wrote:
+-
first off, you dont know what your are babbling about. the 2.6 kernel on an xbox is extremley glitchy. Shallax was the first to support gentoo on the xbox via gentoox till he was kicked as a developer. He did it all HIMSELF. You can do nothing elkse but follow someone elses directions and bash a man who only wanted to share gentoo with every xbox user. 2.4 kernel runs perfectly fine on a xbox and it dosent matter if you use 2.4.xx or 2.6.xx on an xbox because they both give similar performances (on an xbox)(except 2.6 is chock full of problems WITH XBOX BTW). So please, keep your webpages and your bashing to yourself if you dont know what the hell you are crapping out of your mouth.

What? Why this flame, are you crazy? What the hell matters what gentoox is or not? I'm speaking about 2.6 on gentoo, that is. I don't know what problems are you speaking about, only thing doesn't work on 2.6 is fatx support, but I don't have any fatx partition right now.
Second, MY webpages? These are not my webpages, man. I used ISO on that webpages to run MY plain gentoo install, so stop your mind to produce stupid flames based on nothing, and learn something about kernel patching and so before come to me and say things that don't matter with my work.

And I don't know why you're talking about the shallax' work and all about that, I know very well gentoox, I appreciate lot of shallax' work, but WHO THE HELL CARES??? stay in topic please. I think you have not the skills to really comprehend shallax' work, too.
messmaker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anubious wrote:
+-
You can do nothing elkse but follow someone elses directions and bash a man who only wanted to share gentoo with every xbox user.

This quote speaks on his own. WHY I should follow someone else's direction when I can do what you are not able to do?
I run 2.6 gentoo on xbox for about 1 and 1/2 years with success, using fanctl, rebooting, and so on...
Anubious
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been using xbox since my old v1.0 with an Enigma modchip with the 30 points. Ive been using xbox linux since the mechinstaller that left a Linux option on your default dashoboard. I have also been around when the Gentoox first came out. WHen i used 2.6 it was so bad on my xbox when i tried it it broke my sound my usb, everything (on all 4 xboxes i was running a cluster at this time). 2.4 was stable and you didn't even notcie the difference.

Anyways.

Shallax mad e his own system of distributing patches and making installing gentoo on the xbox as easy as possible, yet you bash him, and yes you did bash him. ALl you had to do was psot the link and leave it at that.
messmaker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anubious wrote:
Ive been using xbox since my old v1.0 with an Enigma modchip with the 30 points. Ive been using xbox linux since the mechinstaller that left a Linux option on your default dashoboard. I have also been around when the Gentoox first came out. WHen i used 2.6 it was so bad on my xbox when i tried it it broke my sound my usb, everything (on all 4 xboxes i was running a cluster at this time). 2.4 was stable and you didn't even notcie the difference.

Yes, ok, good, and I've been using linux for a nine years right now: I'm sorry for your problems with sound, usb and so on, but I didn't have. I can give you a hand if you would try 2.6 again, but remember I use Xbox only for: a) ntp b) samba c) torrent d) ssh e) print on a usb printer, no graphics, no sound. For that things I prefer Apple TV, and I play games no more. But let's go on.

Anubious wrote:
Shallax made his own system of distributing patches and making installing gentoo on the xbox as easy as possible, yet you bash him, and yes you did bash him. ALl you had to do was psot the link and leave it at that

What do you want, again? Are you Shallax's lawyer? First, I appreciate his work, so stop you and your wrong opinions. But it is *real* and *evident* that 2.4 is old. Last time I used gentoox it used devfs. I want udev, in example: I don't know if things changed from that times.
Then, you are offending me and him because I have my way and he has hims, but you have only the sheep way to follow other ways.
And, again, what the f**k those links matters? I've proposed to update gentoo, PURE GENTOO, way to be installed, and used that as examples.
You answered that I offended Gentoox. So, if I was member of a religion, and you member of another religion, and we think different things, then we need to offend each others?

By the way, goodbye, I got bored.
chrb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anubious wrote:

Chill dude; he didn't bash anything, just said that 2.4 was old (and it is).

I haven't run gentoo on xbox for a few years now, but back then the 2.6 kernel worked with all xbox drivers and was very stable with one exception - the FATX driver. If you ran a native install (ie. no FATX) it was as stable as x86 (well, it was x86 :wink: ). Shallax was the first to get gentoo running on the xbox, but all the hard work was actually done by the xbox-linux.org team. No disrespect intended, but writing a script to wget a few files and then unpack them over your root fs is far simpler than porting the kernel and writing drivers for alsa, fatx, nvidia nv20 xorg, remote control, etc. I know; I wrote most of the xbox ebuilds, there was no original development involved, just packaging the work of others.
wskellenger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: XBOX Gentoo install minimal cd: too old. I've a fresh ne Reply with quote

messmaker wrote:

Recently I found this: http://web.ivy.net/~carton/rant/gentoox/install-x86-minimal-2006.0-xbox.iso
If you want a complete description about it you can read here: http://web.ivy.net/~carton/rant/gentoox/xbox.html

There is my description, too: It is a new minimal gentoo cd that can boot on xbox, it is quite new (2006.0) and it works very well. I think it could substitute the actual iso on gentoo's ftp.
It only lacks of sshd and root's password loaded on startup, so you must access to console via keyboard, but the author (which I contacted via email) doesn't complain if you want to modify and to get it better.

After that, I personally would write a new wiki on how to install it on your xbox, and definitly mark that minimal cd as the NEW gentoo's minimal cd for XBOX.

The question, so, is very simple. What do you think?

I know this thread is a couple of years old now, but I did exactly what you mentioned above. If anyone else finds this thread and is interested in a modified .iso image of carton's work (modified to include sshd and root password = 'xbox' on startup), please send me a PM. I will have to figure out where I might be able to upload it or store it.

The sshd and root password changes were necessary for me on startup because I don't have a USB keyboard and I don't intend to get one for this system. I bought the Xbox at a garage sale and I intend to use it as a MythTV frontend.

Once I was able to boot carton's LiveCD, I installed a 2007.0 stage3 tarball and went from there. I didn't get far before I needed to switch to the 2008.0 profile so maybe a 2008 stage3 tarball would also install from this point?

I emerged xbox-sources and compiled the 2.6.16 kernel with the xbox mods. Mythtv is compiling right now (and has been for >12 hours). I need to get the nvxbox driver installed for xorg which I will do after the fact. If I create an ebuild for xorg 7.2 (for the xbox) I will post it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: