t1lib - xpdf - acroread
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thomasjb
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 8:07 am    Post subject: t1lib - xpdf - acroread Reply with quote

i just performed an "emerge -u world" and everything seems to have gone fine. one isue puzzled me though, when doing an "emerge -u acroread" t1lib and xpdf were going to get emerged as well. i checked and i definately do not have either of the two on my system. did they become dependencies of acroread? they sure weren't when i originally emerged acroread.

would somebody be able to shed some light on this? thanks!

regards,

thomas.
kybber
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is due to a security-problem that was discovered with Acroread. Read more:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=7370&highlight=acroread+xpdf
thomasjb
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks a lot. appreciate the info.

regards,

thomas.
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH no....

question, what type of vulnerability can this open up?
I mean.. I know it follows symlinks, leaves a /tmp file open and such, but can someone only do something to your system if they are on your system through shell access?

I'm wondering about this because I'm chasing down issues on my system that are really *WIERD*, like /dev/null having permissions changed on it, and several apps acting odd. I vaguely remember clicking on a PDF file that mozilla opened and it was blank. I didn't think anything of it....
I know it's a far shot but...? Is this possible? (sounds very far shot'ish)
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the description, it would seem that one would need shell access to your system. Re: blank pdf - I would imagine that it is not really a symptom since pdf does not contain macros and the like. Actually, the acroread plugin seemed to hang weirdly as a plugin in mozilla on my box.
arkane wrote:
OH no....

question, what type of vulnerability can this open up?
I mean.. I know it follows symlinks, leaves a /tmp file open and such, but can someone only do something to your system if they are on your system through shell access?

I'm wondering about this because I'm chasing down issues on my system that are really *WIERD*, like /dev/null having permissions changed on it, and several apps acting odd. I vaguely remember clicking on a PDF file that mozilla opened and it was blank. I didn't think anything of it....
I know it's a far shot but...? Is this possible? (sounds very far shot'ish)
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naan Yaar wrote:
Actually, the acroread plugin seemed to hang weirdly as a plugin in mozilla on my box.

...looking like the window needs a redraw? I have this also, and chalked it up to binary incompatibility between acroread and my GCC 3.1-compiled mozilla.
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it looks like the screen does not redraw. I actually use gcc 2.95.3. I just removed the plugin from the plugins directory and used it as an external reader! I am not sure whether having the window embedded is worth the hassle anyway :)

rac wrote:
Naan Yaar wrote:
Actually, the acroread plugin seemed to hang weirdly as a plugin in mozilla on my box.

...looking like the window needs a redraw? I have this also, and chalked it up to binary incompatibility between acroread and my GCC 3.1-compiled mozilla.
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had this issue on my machine here compiled with gcc2.95.
Well, except for that one blank pdf, but it wasn't having issues with a redraw, it was just empty.

rac wrote:
Naan Yaar wrote:

arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I pulled my "I've been hacked" gun out too soon.
I did an emerge -e system && emerge -e world last night and now everything is working fine.... doesn't look like it was that.
Your right, it doesn't have macros or anything else that could make it remotely expoitable now that I think about it. I guess I was just being overly paranoid, per usual.
(call it the whole "John Nash" syndrome lol)

Naan Yaar wrote:
From the description, it would seem that one would need shell access to your system. Re: blank pdf - I would imagine that it is not really a symptom since pdf does not contain macros and the like. Actually, the acroread plugin seemed to hang weirdly as a plugin in mozilla on my box.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: