View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
schultz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: courier and helvetica (+other?)fonts missing after reinstall Reply with quote

I recently re-installed Gentoo from scratch including xorg-x11 and kde. I had a similar setup until a recent file system snafu compelled me to re-build the box.

I use VNC on the machine in question (that is, no graphical console... just vncserver running with a headless xorg+kde desktop) and x-enabled emacs on another machine through SSH+X11 forwarding. This setup used to work no problem. After the re-install, emacs displays all characters as empty small boxes or empty small squares. Additionally, I got this message on the console:

Code:
Warning: Cannot convert string "-*-helvetica-medium-r-*--*-120-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1" to type FontStruct

There was another message concerning a courier font as well, but I have since installed media-fonts/font-ibm-type1 which was the only package I could find that mentioned "courier" as a font (and required me to unmask ~x86 in order to install it).

I have seen this question in several other places on this forum and in other places online, but have never found any solutions to them. Usually, someone just re-installs and it's magically working. That, or they fixed their (broken) font configuration to include the actual fonts and things work.

My font config looks good. Changing /etc/X11/xorg.conf seems to have no effect on the fonts appearing in xfontsel. Xfontsel only displays the following font families:
Code:
courier
fixed
luxi mon
luxi sans
luxi serif
open look cursor
open look glyph
utopia

I would have expected many more (including helvetica), honestly ;).

The only foundries displayed are:
Code:
adobe
b&h
ibm
misc
sun

I expected more or those, too. But, I have limited experience with X and fonts.

I was assuming that I had simply neglected to install a particular font package, but I can't seem to figure out which one to install. Here is every package I currently have installed that mentions 'font':

Code:
media-fonts/corefonts-1-r2 (0)
media-fonts/font-adobe-100dpi-1.0.0 (0)
media-fonts/font-adobe-75dpi-1.0.0 (0)
media-fonts/font-adobe-utopia-type1-1.0.1 (0)
media-fonts/font-alias-1.0.1 (0)
media-fonts/font-bh-type1-1.0.0 (0)
media-fonts/font-cursor-misc-1.0.0 (0)
media-fonts/font-ibm-type1-1.0.0 (0)
media-fonts/font-misc-misc-1.0.0 (0)
media-fonts/font-sun-misc-1.0.0 (0)
media-fonts/font-util-1.0.1 (0)
media-fonts/freefonts-0.10-r3 (0)
media-fonts/gnu-gs-fonts-std-8.11 (0)
media-fonts/sharefonts-0.10-r3 (0)
media-fonts/terminus-font-4.20 (0)
media-fonts/urw-fonts-2.1-r2 (0)
media-libs/fontconfig-2.4.2 (1.0)
x11-apps/mkfontdir-1.0.2 (0)
x11-apps/mkfontscale-1.0.1 (0)
x11-apps/xfontsel-1.0.1 (0)
x11-libs/libXfont-1.2.7-r1 (0)
x11-libs/libfontenc-1.0.2 (0)
x11-proto/fontcacheproto-0.1.2 (0)
x11-proto/fontsproto-2.0.2 (0)
x11-proto/xf86bigfontproto-1.1.2 (0)

Am I missing any particular font package?

Here are the relevant font sections of my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file:

Code:

FontPath   "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi"
    FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi:unscaled"
    FontPath   "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi"
    FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi:unscaled"
    FontPath   "/usr/share/fonts/Type1"
    FontPath   "/usr/share/fonts/TTF"
    FontPath   "/usr/share/fonts/CID"
    FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/corefonts"
    FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/default"
    FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/dejavu"
    FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/freefonts"
    FontPath   "/usr/share/fonts/local"
    FontPath   "/usr/share/fonts/misc"
    FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/misc:unscaled"
    FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/sharefonts"
    FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/terminus"
    FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/ttf-bitstream-vera"
    FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/urw-fonts"
    FontPath    "/usr/share/fonts/util"

(Note that, with the exception of the paths including ":unscaled", all of the paths above exist and actually contain some files, though with entirely different file types and structures, as far as I can tell).

I have found that commenting-out some or all of these FontPath settings has no bearing on the number of total fonts available through xfontsel, which seems odd to me. Perhaps VNC is complicating matters.

Any thoughts? I'm about to lose my mind here... emacs is my software development environment, and I'm pretty much dead in the water until this is resolved. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
-chris
schultz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

I have an update: after looking at the contents of /usr/share/fonts/75dpi/fonts.dir, I have determined that the original font sets that were installed should have been sufficient (i.e. the package font-adobe-75dpi contains courier and helvetica fonts, so I shoudn't have had to install anything).

xset seems to indicate that my FontPath settings from xorg.conf are being ignored:

Code:
xset q

[...]

Font Path:
  /usr/kde/3.5/share/fonts/override,/usr/share/fonts/misc/,/usr/share/fonts/Type1/

I'm trying to figure out how to set the fonts in KDE, but haven't found anything, yet.

I'm re-installing the font-adobe-75dpi package to see if installing new fonts properly updates them in KDE. If this works, it will mean that fonts installed before KDE are not properly recognized by a new KDE install which, while unfortunate, at least makes some sense.
schultz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Source of Font Path Identified [SOLVED] Reply with quote

So, I'm answering my own question for anyone who ends up reading this at some point. The most important thing to understand is that I am using VNC for all this.

xorg.conf is ignored because X is run with a virtual framebuffer, so most of the setup is irrelevant.

The (TightVNC) vncserver script itself (/usr/bin/vncserver) sets up a default font path of "/usr/share/fonts/misc,/usr/share/fonts/Type1", which includes almost nothing.

It appears that the vncserver script doesn't have any smart way of changing the default font path, so you have to actually modify the script to add your own font paths. :(
|Quantum|
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking through xorg.conf, I found by default the lines:

Code:

FontPath   "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath   "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"

which I have changed into:

Code:

FontPath   "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath   "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"

This solved the problem for me.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: