[Howto] Burning DVD-RAM
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeeksTheMoon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: [Howto] Burning DVD-RAM Reply with quote

You won't use DVD burning tools for DVD-RAMs, you will mount and use them like a hard disk. But there are some problems you may encounter, so here is a howto from me to avoid them.

There are some important points you should know:

• Use UDF filesystem ONLY, because it is optimized for DVDs. You could use other filesystems like ext2 but this will slow down your work, won' t use the media in the best way and may produce many errors, so don' t think about using anything else than UDF ;-)
  • For more information about UDF check out wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Disk_Format
  • You can use RAMs without packet writing but this will drastically slow down your work:
    without using packet writing I had 1MB per minute (didn't measure that, it' s a guess), with packet writing: 16MB/s (didn't measure, tested with df -h and watched the progress)

So let's begin:
First you should configure your kernel. Use UDF filesystem support in Filesystems|CD/DVD Filesystems and enable packet writing: Drivers|Block Devices|Packet writing on CD/DVD media.
You may increase the buffersize for packet writing (see kernel option underneath packet writing) for better performance but read the help first.
If you want to compile packet writing as module, it is called pktcdvd.
Then emerge udftools if you don' t have them yet.

You can create an UDF-filesystem on your media with:
Code:
mkudffs /dev/sr0

check out the manpage for switches.
My DVD-RAM device is an external burner with device name sr0, you should change this name if needed.

Now you can mount the DVD-RAM device but this will work very slowly if we don't use packet writing, so load the modules pktcdvd and udf-support if needed and enter
Code:
pktsetup dvdram /dev/sr0

to enable packet writing for your device.
You can use any name you want (instead of "dvdram") but be sure not to use a /dev-path here or else pktsetup will give you an error like this: "ioctl: Inappropriate ioctl for device".

You will then hear/see your device working, it needs some seconds before you can mount it, so be patient.
After pktsetup is ready, we finally mount the device:
Code:
mount /dev/pktcdvd/dvdram /mnt/usb/

Be sure to use the /dev/pktcdvd-path here, even if /dev/dvdram may exist.

Now you can treat your device like a hard disk and read/write with your favorite tools (cp, rm, konqueror, whatever) and when you are finished, unmount with

Code:
umount /mnt/usb
pktsetup -d dvdram

Last edited by SeeksTheMoon on Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:50 am; edited 3 times in total
lazydog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much. Very helpful hints, packet writing worked right "out of the box" following this mini-Howto :)
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very helpful. Almost everything worked as promised.

I used
Code:
mkudffs --media-type=dvdram --utf8 /dev/foo
although it seemed to me that it would probably have made those assumptions anyway.

Questions:

a) First, a basic malfunction. I can read / write fine when mounting the device directly (i.e., not through pktcdvd). But when I mount it through pktcdvd, I get an error message:
Code:
mount: /dev/pktcdvd/dvdram: can't read superblock

The kernel message log shows:
Code:
Mar 28 15:21:21 monsoon kernel: pktcdvd: pkt_get_last_written failed

b) Second, how does one set the volume name? It's coming up right now as "LinuxUDF". I tried all the mkudffs options but they seemed to have no effect. I had been using another file system and had each side of several dvd-ram disks named so don't mix things up.

c) Third, can one automate the pktcdvd device creation and mounting?
I automount cd/dvd/dv-ram in a single drive. I had been using a filesystem other than udf. It's now working great with udf (and automounting). But if I want to use packet writing I've got to unmount the disk, set up the packet device, and mount that instead. So, could I alter the udev rules such that, if the media inserted is a dvd-ram (or is udf and writable), the system will set up the pktcdvd device and mount that instead of the usual /dev/hdX? If anyone has done this or can share their knowledge of how to do it, I'd appreciate it. I'm going to try to do that, but not having played with my udev rules before I have no idea if this will be difficult or trivial.
SeeksTheMoon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
a) First, a basic malfunction. I can read / write fine when mounting the device directly (i.e., not through pktcdvd). But when I mount it through pktcdvd, I get an error message

I don't know, maybe you should not mix both access methods.

Quote:
c) Third, can one automate the pktcdvd device creation and mounting?

I don't use automounters (because I don't like/trust them ^^), I wrote the necessary commands into a shell script so I don't have to remember every command.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I unmounted the device before setting up the pktcdvd device and trying to mount that. Actually I even tried to mkudffs /dev/pktcdvd/dvdram (as suggested by another forum) instead of mkudffs while mounted directly (as per the guidelines above). I even tried removing the disk and rebooting (so nothing had been run through udev/hal pertaining to the device) before trying to mount the pktcdvd device.

So I don't believe I'm mixing access methods. Meanwhile, directly mounting the device and accessing it is working fine and doesn't seem slow (using udf). So at least the device works and I can use the disk. Would like to be able to use packet-writing though.

As to the automounting, digging around a bit on the net indicates it would be a HAL rules modification that would do this trick. But if I can't get packet-writing working, there's nothing to change because it automounts it as a UDF just fine.

On the volume label, I see in the mkudffs man page where it talks about logical volume ID, volume set ID, and so on. I used those options, but it doesn't change what is displayed by gnome. So I now believe it is simply a shortcoming of the gnome vfs, which I think may only be configured to show the volume names of certain file systems (like ext2/3, xfs, etc.). That's why it shows "Audio CD" when you put in "The Best of BTO".
heikole
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very nice mini-howto, my thanks to the OP. Two questions remain for me: DVD-RAMs seem to come pre-formatted with UDF from the store. Any need to reformat them? There is a maximum file size of 1 GB currently implemented due to former stability issues with UDF. How do you handle this when storing large files like archives? Is split -b1000m ... the way to go?
bernd_b
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concerning question one:

I had the success with only creating the device with pktsetup and didn't use mkduffs.
regsolid
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

best info , thank you folks........
mudrii
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx a lot I needed this nfo long time ago
Regards
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: