Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
qlogic isp scsi controller install issues.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ibtim13
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: qlogic isp scsi controller install issues. Reply with quote

I'm trying to install gentoo onto a disc attached to a qlogic isp sbus scsi controller and the kernel on the install cd doesn't seem to have to module to support the board. Is there a simple way to get a kernel with support for this on a livecd? Or maybe a way to get just the right module for the kernel already on the cd?

Additional info that may be useful: I know the scsi contoller works. I bought it new, I used it in an ultra2 running gentoo for a long time (though not as the boot device which is what I'm trying to do now). I just recently pulled it from the ultra2 and moved it to one of the IO boards in my E4500 (which is what I'm trying to install on). The OBP on the E4500 detects the board and doing a probe-scsi-all correctly lists all of the discs attached to it. The solaris 10 installer finds it with no problem and installs to the disc I'm trying to install gentoo on without issue.

Thanks
ibtim13
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I gave up and installed using the built in esp controller. After the install was finished, I hooked up some additional drives to the qlogic controller. I discovered that with any drives connected to the qlogic controller, the kernel crashes when detecting scsi devices. I get a neat little ASCII art image of a bug and a message saying I've found a kernel bug, followed by sbus.c line 333 and a bunch of other stuff that looks like a dump of registers. If I disconnect the devices from the qlogic controller, the system boots fine. In Solaris 10 I can run from the qlogic controller and I know that with linux 2.6.13 I could run drives off of it on an Ultra2. The kernel I'm running at the moment is 2.6.20-r7 (gentoo-sources). I'd really like to get this figured out since the qlogic controller gives me twice the bandwidth of the esp. (Ultra-Wide vs Fast-Wide). Thanks.
ibtim13
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For completeness sake. The qlogic isp sbus scsi controller driver does not work in the 2.6.20-r7 kernel (at least not in an ultra 2 or e4500, no matter which sbus slot it's in, which slot the IO board is in, or whether or not there are any other sbus devices connected). It works just fine in 2.6.16-r13 (which is what you'll get if you try to emerge >2.6.20).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: