Problem with filesystems on non UTC clock
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
McTango
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Problem with filesystems on non UTC clock Reply with quote

My Ultra5 is running Gentoo with all system packages and portage tree up to portage-20070416.
Kernel is 2.6.20-gentoo-r5

uname -a
Linux darwin 2.6.20-gentoo-r5 #5 Mon Apr 23 12:03:00 ART 2007 sparc64 sun4u TI UltraSparc IIi (Sabre) GNU/Linux

My location is Argentina, so the clock is configured as UTC -3 (America/Buenos_Aires)
CLOCK="local" in /etc/conf.d/clock

The problem is on every rebooting, at the new startup, e2fsck says te following message for each partition in the hard drive, before mounting them:

/dev/hdaN: Superblock last write time is in the future. FIXED.

I searched internet for a solution, and it seems to be a problem with new version of e2fsprogs
Here is a link with a related problem on other system:
http://linux.derkeiler.com/pdf/Mailing-Lists/Debian/2006-01/msg00836.pdf

How can i fix it in Gentoo-Sparc ?
Thanx

Charly Tango
Formosa - Argentina
cac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your system clock should really be in UTC. Using local is really only good for dual booting with Windows, and I doubt that will ever run on a SPARC. :wink: I'd set your system clock to UTC and set your timezone info in /etc/conf.d/clock. The rest of the OS will handle displaying the time correctly.

I also set to sync the system clock on shutdown/reboot and use NTP to ensure the clock contains the right time. SB100/150 are known to be very bad time keepers.

As far as your timestamp from the future problem, try performing some disk activity once you get the system clock straightened out. No expert here, but it just sounds like fsck is complaining as the last write activity on each drive is in the future. I've seen that every now and again and ignore it. It usually cleans it self up after a while. I'm not aware of any ill effects by letting things iron themselves out.

-Chris
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: