56K Modem Installation Questions
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neoslimdog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 6:09 am    Post subject: 56K Modem Installation Questions Reply with quote

Hello, I have been using Linux for over 3 months now. I first tried SuSE, then I tried Mandrake, then I tried Lycoris, but now I am using Redhat, which runs the fastest on my system so far. I need to ask some questions.

I've got a 56K Modem. It is pretty much stable, and I have downloaded complete iso's without corruption. I wish to try out Gentoo some time or another. Which CD should I choose? If I choose the more 'complete' CD, it means I can download it in many sessions, and it means less pressure on my ISP (I'm in New Zealand). But the main thing I want is speed, speed, and more speed. So, does getting the 'pre-compiled' version make my system significantly slower than the one with just 16 MB in which I compile everything myself? Also, how fast IS Gentoo? I have a Pentium II with 320MB of RAM, and SuSE was SOOO sluggish, and even Mandrake was to slow, so I want a simple system that is fast and stable. Currently, Redhat is running at a comfortable speed, but I am looking for something that will blow away the competition. So how is Gentoo? Is it stable? Is it fast in terms of responsiveness?

Thanks,
neoslimdog
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 56K Modem Installation Questions Reply with quote

"How fast" is a very subjective term. It's impossible for anyone to quantify exactly how fast you will perceive Gentoo to be on your machine. I've recently built Gentoo on an older PIII 500/128 and find it to be faster than the Debian sid installation that was on there previously.

Regarding which CDs, the stage 3 CD is optimized for the 686 architecture, so (theoretically) you shouldn't notice any speed difference between using that one and the stage 1 CD. That said, I prefer to compile everything myself, but that's just a personal preference.

--kurt
Stalione
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes like the previous post states, speed is not easy to quantify when it comes to performaces of different distros. But in general anything thats been compiled from scratch, as opposed to installed in binary form performs better. Also I recently installed Gentoo on a PII 233, with 192 or so Mb RAM. Previously it was running win2k, and at one time RH 7.x. Gentoo seems to out perform both of them. As for downloading gentoo over a modem goes....I won't recommend that. SPECIALLY NOT WHEN YOU CAN BUY IT FOR $5. I mean common, 5 bucks is nothing for a sweet distro like this. With shipping and handling you will maybe pay about 10 bucks. I am sure that the gentoo cd you will buy will have fairly upto date stuff. After you are done installing its a matter of typing
Quote:

emerge --clean rsync
emerge update

and you'll be upto date again. No matter if you decide to buy it or download it, definitly go Gentoo.

Cheers!
V
Scarecrow
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does that cd you buy for $5 come with the portage tree and all sources?
AutoBot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CheapBytes is now selling Gentoo Linux/x86 1.1a i686 CDs for $5 USD apiece! :) Note that this CD will allow a build from scratch for *all* systems, but also has pre-built stuff for i686+ CPUs. We plan to add more CD offerings (sources, pre-built binaries, Gentoo/PPC and Sparc) in the near-future, so stay tuned. In the meantime, being able to order our latest CD for $5 ain't too shabby :)

No
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: