gentoo offline update
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
erm67
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: gentoo offline update Reply with quote

I have a sparc ultra2 creator3d with 2 296mhz in my second home where there is no internet connection at all, since I am going there I would like to upgrade it offline.
So on my gentoo x86 box I changed my make.profile link to /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/sparc/sparc64/2007.0 created a /etc/portage/package.keywords replacing ~x86 with ~sparc and finally emerge -f world. Now I am planning to burn on dvd the entire /usr/portage hierarchy (distfiles included), copy it to the sparc and emerge --update --world there.
I would of course only install the same app I have in the world file on my x86 box, and packages required by the sparc profile.
Is my plan going to work?
What about cross-compiling all packages for sparc64? I found this guide http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Cross_Compile and http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/cross-compiling-distcc.xml. Would it be easier to cross compile sparc packages on my x86 box connected to the internet or try to make it download all distfiles I need for my sparc machine and then compile there?
Keruskerfuerst
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This won´t work, since emerge -f world does not fetch all files and patches.
Ferris
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you make sure to have everything sparc will need for the update on your dvd, I don't know why it wouldn't work. It's easy enough to try and see what happens in any case.
Keruskerfuerst
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ususally I execute emerge -f world before emerge -e world.
In this case, I have made the experience, that emerge -f world didn´t fetch all nessecary files. Sometimes emerge -f world didn´t fetch some patches.
erm67
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also ordered a free Solaris 10 dvd, but already solaris 9 was rather slow on that old machine....
I try tomorrow the offline update method, cross-compiling an entire system is more complicated and probably doesn't work anyway.
I am pretty sure something will be missing but the ultra2 has a floppy and maybe I can download small things in an internet cafe, some also offer to burn cd usually at a high price.
erm67
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keruskerfuerst wrote:
This won´t work, since emerge -f world does not fetch all files and patches.

There is a syntax for SRC_URI to conditionally download based on use flags but not based on the arch I think, so unless there is a sparc use flag it shouldn't happen. Most patches are usually in the files directories directly in the portage tree
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: