Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Question: The holy grail of 1366x768 native resolution PS3?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
onanie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:02 am    Post subject: Question: The holy grail of 1366x768 native resolution PS3? Reply with quote

Hi from a newbie.

Firstly, thanks for the great forum.

I myself have yet to get a hold of a PS3, but will be attempting to set up Gentoo when I do, paired with my plasma TV (with a native resolution of 1366x768). After extensive reading around here and there, I anticipate difficulties with getting linux to display in my TV's native resolution (which I've called the "holy grail" as it is such a common HDTV resolution, yet so poorly supported in other consumer devices including consoles). Displaying text and graphics in its native resolution would ensure the sharpest detail and readability.

I see it as a possibility in the future, though perhaps not with the current state of things. Does anyone have any ideas?

I have a few specific questions too.
1. Is there an undisclosed ps3videomode number that outputs 1366x768?
2. I understand that there is a WXGA mode, but it is really 1280x768?
3. would xorg.conf modifications have any result on the display resolution?
4. would changing the "modeline" in xorg.conf have any result on the display resolution? (I could easily work out the "modeline" for my TV)
6. could we lobby for 1366x768 resolution support, or indeed any custom resolution?

Thanks for your help.
eyoung100
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that adding a modeline in X will display 1366x768. I know from personal experience that there is no vga= for a resolution higher than 1024x768(I have an LCD that does 1440x900) on AMD64, and I can't use rivafb in kernel because it conflicts with the nvidia-drivers. One of the downfalls of using any distro of linux is that we have to wait, sometimes upwards of a year for the talanted open source programmers to catch up to the bleeding edge hardware(of course by then it isn't bleeding edge anymore.) I'd rather suffer that issue as a sacrifice for stabilty.
Registerd Linux User #363735
Adopt a Post | Strip Comments| Emerge Wrapper
astaroth_pod
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are loads and loads of "ps3videomode" 's, I am sure there is a 1366x768 in there as well. I ended up using video mode 133 myself, which is 1920x1080p, no overscan (1->1 pixel mapping), RGB.

I'm pretty sure I found the supported resolutions by using the ps3videomode program, either by reading the DDIC from the LCD TV or elsewise reading some HDMI info from the TV... In any case it took all of 30 seconds to figure out so it should be doable :)
onanie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

astaroth_pod wrote:
There are loads and loads of "ps3videomode" 's, I am sure there is a 1366x768 in there as well. I ended up using video mode 133 myself, which is 1920x1080p, no overscan (1->1 pixel mapping), RGB.

I'm pretty sure I found the supported resolutions by using the ps3videomode program, either by reading the DDIC from the LCD TV or elsewise reading some HDMI info from the TV... In any case it took all of 30 seconds to figure out so it should be doable :)

Thanks. If i understood you correctly, did you have to go through modes 1 to 133 in order to find the correct one?
astaroth_pod
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onanie wrote:
Thanks. If i understood you correctly, did you have to go through modes 1 to 133 in order to find the correct one?

Not at all - ps3videomode will give you a table of all supported resolutions, pretty much everything from 480i to 1080p in all forms and variations (50/60Hz, RGB/YUV, Dither etc). Just pick the number you want, then add "-f" at the end for fullscreen (no overscan). The resolution will change, and if it suits your viewing pleasure, you can just run ps3videomode again without any arguments. Add this number to the /etc/kboot.conf file and you're golden on every reboot.
Mine was 133, I've later switched to 145 (RGB insteady of YUV). No visual difference though.

When you test it you'll see :)
tokka
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Question: The holy grail of 1366x768 native resolution P Reply with quote

In future unless it is something not covered by the main PS3 thread here, can people please add to that and not spawn new ones - This is alt arch not PS3...

onanie wrote:

1. Is there an undisclosed ps3videomode number that outputs 1366x768?

No.
http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/geoff/cell/ps3pf_utils-1.0.9/ps3videomode.c

onanie wrote:

2. I understand that there is a WXGA mode, but it is really 1280x768?

No
Be aware that to use the "VESA" modes, as far as I am aware you need a HDCP enable display

Note this in the code above:

Code:
struct option long_options[] = {
   { "help"  , 0, NULL, 'h' },
   { "video" , 0, NULL, 'v' }, /* video mode */
   { "rgb"   , 0, NULL, 'r' }, /* RGB color space */
   { "full"  , 0, NULL, 'f' }, /* full screen mode */
   { "dither", 0, NULL, 'd' }, /* dither ON */
   { "hdcp"  , 0, NULL, 'H' }, /* HDCP OFF, Retail PS3 product doesn't support this */
   { NULL    , 0, NULL,  0  }

onanie wrote:

3. would xorg.conf modifications have any result on the display resolution?

No

onanie wrote:

4. would changing the "modeline" in xorg.conf have any result on the display resolution? (I could easily work out the "modeline" for my TV)

No

onanie wrote:

6. could we lobby for 1366x768 resolution support, or indeed any custom resolution?

What happened to 5?
:)
No. Er. Well, nothing stopping you, but the powers that be are well aware of what changes the community would like.

You don't need a sync on green cable so be happy:)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: