[SOLVED] "Invalid loop location" with custom LiveCD
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spectere
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] "Invalid loop location" with custom LiveC Reply with quote

I'm in the process of putting together a LiveCD for a project that I'm working on. I used the Gentoo Wiki article on building a LiveCD from scratch (as I have in the past) and got everything ready. I believe the only way that I have deviated from the HOWTO is by using ISOLINUX instead of GRUB.

Unfortunately, when I go to boot the CD (either through QEMU or with my laptop -- a Dell Inspiron 9300) I get this:

Code:
>> Activating mdev
>> Making tmpfs for /newroot
>> Attempting to mount media:- /dev/hdc
>> Media found on /dev/iseries/vcd*
>> Determining root device...
>> Determining looptype ...
!! Invalid loop location: /livecd.squashfs
!! Please export LOOP with a valid location, or reboot and pass a proper loop=...
!! kernel command line!

Then it drops into BusyBox's shell and blah blah blah. I read a fairly recent thread with the same issue and tried a few of the things that people suggested in that thread but it just doesn't seem to want to work right no matter what I do. A quick look at /dev in the minimal shell shows no sign of the "iseries" entry, which sort of makes sense considering I don't own an iSeries system. :P

The CD drive is being picked up on both systems (and appears in /dev) but in both cases, when I try to mount it I wind up getting this:

Code:
/newroot # mount -o ro /dev/hdc /newroot/mnt/cdrom/
mount: Mounting /dev/hdc on /newroot/mnt/cdrom/ failed: Invalid argument
/newroot #

Something that's even stranger is that it appears to be attempting to mount it with XFS, as this comes up without fail when run dmesg afterwards:

Code:
XFS: bad magic number
XFS: SB validate failed

Attempting to pass "-t iso9660" to mount causes the mount to fail with the "no such device" error.

It's clearly loading the kernel and initramfs just fine, so I'm a bit confused as to why the CD-ROM drive doesn't seem to want to mount at all.

If anyone has any ideas I'm more than willing to try them. :)

Thanks!

Last edited by Spectere on Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
RobertDavid
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you maka a change to linuuxrc script?? because there is defined mounting of device where is livecd file. I had to do that as it should work on usb stick, but than it didnt work for CDs, because for CDs there must be only mounting -t iso9660,, maybe check if you have prperly compiled cdrom drivers and cdrom filesystem support.

Also dont remember to add the "livecd" file to the cd.
Spectere
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey'a, thanks for the reply. :D

I didn't touch the initrd at all, so the linuxrc is pristine. The IDE and CD-ROM drivers are compiled into the kernel, as is ISO9660 and UDF file system support. The livecd file is in the root directory of the CD -- that's part of my build script.

I'll probably keep working on it tonight. If I figure anything out I'll be sure and post it.
Spectere
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump!

I'm one step closer to solving the problem. I compiled ISO9660 support in as a module and slapped that into the initramfs, then booted. Of course, it bombed again, but then I loaded the fancy new isofs.ko, "mount -t iso9660 -o ro /dev/hdc /newroot/mnt/cdrom", updated the LOOP environment variable to point to the mounted CD, and now I'm currently sitting at the command line in QEMU. :D

I'll play with it a bit more tomorrow (err...today...it's kinda late :P) to see if I can get it to do everything automatically (as it should). Maybe running genkernel again will do it, we'll see.
Spectere
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triple post. :(

Problem solved, though it is a mite hackish.

I unpacked the initramfs, added the isofs module (since genkernel doesn't put that in automatically?) and created an entry for it in /etc/modules/fs. Now my ISO boots up fine in QEMU without any intervention! Whew.

Hopefully this'll help someone in the future.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: