Updating portage config files?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LittleKing
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 1:16 am    Post subject: Updating portage config files? Reply with quote

I first want to say that, I am fairly new to the Linux world and recently installed gentoo and so far I have found it to be a great system.

Howver, I do have some questions, but for now I'll stick to this one. I just updated portage but when it finished it gave me these following lines:

Code:
* Regenerating GNU info directory index...
 * Processed 54 info files.
 * IMPORTANT: 2 config files in /etc need updating.
 * Type emerge --help config to learn how to update config files.

However, I didn't find much help in the emerge --help. What command to I need to enter to config the new files?

Thanks for the help,
LK
tomas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try emerge --help config instead of emerge --help, and you should get some useful information :)
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 2:12 am    Post subject: Re: Updating portage config files? Reply with quote

You can use something called etc-update that is part of the gentoolkit package. Do a forum search with "etc-update" for threads that will give you more information.
LittleKing wrote:
I first want to say that, ...
LittleKing
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I should have look a bit closer at the line, because sure enough, the correct command was right there. Sorry. I guess I should take the advice of BonezTheGoon, which he said in this thread:

Quote:
During my first install of Gentoo I found that any time I had an unexpected situation or some kind of error that if I went back and read the installation guide more carefully I had either missed a step or had a typing error of some kind.

I had the same experince he did when I was installing. Maybe I'll learn someday.

Thanks again,
LK
LittleKing
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The files that needed to be updated where:

1. make.conf
2. make.globals

My next question would be do these really need to be updated, or are they just duplicates of the original files? If I was to update make.conf it would override any changes I've made (which is the point of not overriding it in the first place), so I wouldn't update make.conf but what about make.globals, should it be updated? I haven't changed anything in the default file so I would assume it wouldn't do any harm to update it? Or am I wrong?
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You an run a diff between the two files (._cfg0000_make.conf and make.conf) to see the differences between the two, or you can run etc-update.

I prefer diff'ing the files, myself. Once you know what the differences are (probably nothing more than fluff, usually) then you can either keep the one you have and remove the .cfg000_make.conf or move it over the original make.conf. (same goes with make.globals)

HTH

LittleKing wrote:
The files that needed to be updated where:

1. make.conf
2. make.globals

My next question would be do these really need to be updated, or are they just duplicates of the original files? If I was to update make.conf it would override any changes I've made (which is the point of not overriding it in the first place), so I wouldn't update make.conf but what about make.globals, should it be updated? I haven't changed anything in the default file so I would assume it wouldn't do any harm to update it? Or am I wrong?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: