Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
HOWTO: Enabling Japanese (or: CJK in KDE & Gnome)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
newtonian
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually if you look at the Japanese Wiki it says that you need these keywords to get it working
in KDE.

Quote:
anthy immqt OR immqt-bc

then run:
Code:
emerge --update --deep --newuse world

Cheers,
ZmjbS
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Qt 3 and input methods Reply with quote

[quote="newtonian"]
ZmjbS wrote:
Actually, yes I'm using both qt3 and qt4. Here are my use keywords:

Code:
USE="-gtk -gnome -ipv6 qt3 qt3support kde cjk nls immqt-bc -immqt unicode

And I do everything in KDE.

Thanks for the information. I tried various setup combinations, but nothing worked. Good to know that it's working for someone, though.
newtonian
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Qt 3 and input methods Reply with quote

newtonian wrote:
ZmjbS wrote:
Actually, yes I'm using both qt3 and qt4. Here are my use keywords:

Code:
USE="-gtk -gnome -ipv6 qt3 qt3support kde cjk nls immqt-bc -immqt unicode

And I do everything in KDE.

Thanks for the information. I tried various setup combinations, but nothing worked. Good to know that it's working for someone, though.

:( That's no good.

Did you follow the Japanese howto on the following wiki?
http://wiki.gentoo.gr.jp/index.php?%5B%5B%C6%FC%CB%DC%B8%EC%C6%FE%CE%CF%C0%DF%C4%EA%BB%F6%CE%E3%BD%B8%2Fuim%2Banthy%5D%5D

Are running everything in KDE?

Did you run
Code:
newtonian
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: translation of the Japanese uim+anthy KDE setup Reply with quote

This setup works with the newer qt 4 and has better looking, more intelligent word engine than the setup in this howto.

For KDE do this:

Add the following to you USE keywords.

Quote:
qt3 qt3support anthy kde cjk nls immqt-bc -immqt

Code:
emerge uim

Code:

Add the following to ~/.xinitrc
Quote:
export XMODIFIERS="@im=uim"
export GTK_IM_MODULE="uim"
export QT_IM_MODULE="uim"
exec uim-toolbar-qt &

Add the following to ~/.xprofile (when booting from KDM into KDE)
Quote:
export XIM="uim-xim"
export XMODIFIERS="@im=uim"
export GTK_IM_MODULE="uim"
export QT_IM_MODULE="uim"
exec uim-xim &
exec uim-helper-toolbar-qt-systray &

Restart KDE, might be a good idea to reboot the whole system to be sure.
Code:
/sbin/shutdown -r now

I've got this working on my gentoo system and it works great.
I haven't followed the howto listed above on a new gentoo install so I'm not sure it works.
I could be missing something :?. I'll test it out when I get a little more time and report back.

Cheers,

Change Log
Added a note about logging in from KDM to KDE April 7th, 2007

Last edited by newtonian on Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total
ZmjbS
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: translation of the Japanese uim+anthy KDE setup Reply with quote

newtonian wrote:
ZmjbS wrote:

:( That's no good.

No, not at all... :-(

newtonian wrote:
Did you follow the Japanese howto on the following wiki?
http://wiki.gentoo.gr.jp/index.php?%5B%5B%C6%FC%CB%DC%B8%EC%C6%FE%CE%CF%C0%DF%C4%EA%BB%F6%CE%E3%BD%B8%2Fuim%2Banthy%5D%5D

No, originally (I guess it's gettig close to a year now) I followed parts of this forum thread, parts of the uim webiste and parts of some other resources I found on the web. At first pretty much everything worked swimmingly, but then GTK+ stopped working after some upgrade. With help from the uim mailing list I got GTK+ working again but soon after Qt quit on me! *sigh*

newtonian wrote:
Are running everything in KDE?
Nope, pretty much the only Qt application that I use is Opera ... but not having IM input working in your browser is a pretty fair drawback (not enough to drive me to Firefox, though).

newtonian wrote:
Did you run
Code:

Oh, countless times ... :-(

Thanks a lot for the description in your second post, by the way! I'm trying a few things out now.

A few comments, though:
newtonian wrote:
This setup works with the newer qt 4 and has better looking, more intelligent word engine than the setup in this howto.
But the conversion engine improvement is due to an upgrade in Anthy rather than Qt, right?

newtonian wrote:
Add the following to you USE keywords.

Quote:
qt3 qt3support anthy kde cjk nls immqt-bc -immqt

I tried adding these to my make.conf but --newuse --deep didn't change anything. Well, apart from kde which I omitted since I prefer not using a desktop environment. I figured it shouldn't matter since the immodule interfaces with Qt, not KDE (I also have -gnome and that doesn't seem to affect the input).

Also, just in case you're interested: qt3support, and immqt* are local use flags for Qt 4 and Qt 3, respectively, and anthy is a local flag for uim so these can be set in /etc/portage/package.use. I did try including them in make.conf but the output from --newuse --deep was the same.

My /etc/portage/package.use includes:
Quote:
=x11-libs/qt-4* pch qt3support
=x11-libs/qt-3* immqt-bc
app-i18n/uim anthy prime canna

Regarding the environment variables: Are you sure you have to add the environment variables to both files? Every documentation that I've seen only requires you to do it in one place where they are sure to be read. I have mine in ~/.xinitrc. It works for GTK+ and XIM and the variables all show up in the environment. I'm recompiling some stuff now, but just in case I'll later give ~/.xprofile a shot.

Also, are you sure you are using the Qt immodule? If I fire up uim-xim, then conversion naturally works everywhere in X (you can even choose whether to use the GTK+ or Qt candidate windows by setting the UIM_CANDWIN_PROG variable to uim-candwin-{gtk,qt}). The reason why I don't use uim-xim is that it causes a huge lag when I start a rxvt-unicode terminal. mlterm is much better, so I may just end up having to switch to mlterm and use XIM for Qt applications.

Finally, a long shot, but I don't suppose you have dev-libs/dbus-qt3-old installed?
newtonian
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But the conversion engine improvement is due to an upgrade in Anthy rather than Qt, right?

Yes, this is a uim+anthy improvement that makes the difference, not Qt.

Quote:
Regarding the environment variables: Are you sure you have to add the environment variables to both files? Every documentation that I've seen only requires you to do it in one place where they are sure to be read. I have mine in ~/.xinitrc. It works for GTK+ and XIM and the variables all show up in the environment. I'm recompiling some stuff now, but just in case I'll later give ~/.xprofile a shot.

The Japanese Wiki says to put them in both places if you boot into KDE from KDM.

Quote:
Also, are you sure you are using the Qt immodule?

I don't think so. Would that be used in Qt?
Code:
emerge -pv qt

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ] x11-libs/qt-4.2.2  USE="cups jpeg mysql opengl png qt3support* zlib -accessibility -dbus -debug -doc -examples -firebird -gif -glib -mng -nas -nis -odbc -pch -postgres -sqlite -sqlite3 -xinerama" INPUT_DEVICES="-wacom" 0 kB

Quote:
Finally, a long shot, but I don't suppose you have dev-libs/dbus-qt3-old installed?

I checked and it is not installed.
ZmjbS
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newtonian wrote:
The Japanese Wiki says to put them in both places if you boot into KDE from KDM.

Odd...

newtonian wrote:
Quote:
Also, are you sure you are using the Qt immodule?

I don't think so. Would that be used in Qt?
Code:
emerge -pv qt

Yes, the Qt and GTK+ immodules take care of redirecting input from Qt and GTK+ appliations to the input method set in {GTK,QT}_IM_MODULE (in our case: uim). If your Qt immodule is broken like mine, uim-xim (which you start in ~/.xprofile) should still catch the keyboard input and send it to uim.

Some history: Qt 3 came without an immodule so some enterprising individuals took it upon themselves to create a patch, the immodule-qt. If you emerge Qt 3 with the "immqt-bc" flag, emerge automatically applies the binary compatible (hence the bc) version of the patch.

So, essentially, Qt (version 3, at least) cannot redirect input to an input method without the patch.

I'm not sure what Qt 4 support for the immodule is like. I figure that the qt3support flag may be to provide that sort of support, but that is just a guess.

To see the Qt 3 flags, you can either run "emerge -pv =x11-libs/qt-3*" or "equery uses =x11-libs/qt-3*". To check if you are using the uim-xim bridge as opposed to the Qt immodule in Qt appliations, you'd probably have to stop uim-xim or start up without it. But don't worry about that, you've been extremely helpful so far. I'm pretty paranoied about the quirks in the immodules. It doesn't matter on my broken system, but I wouldn't want to break yours too...

newtonian wrote:
Quote:

I checked and it is not installed.

Oh, well. It was a long shot. Thanks for checking!
newtonian
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi-

I ran that check like you asked. qt3 is installed and using immqt-bc.
qt4 is installed too, but doesn't use immqt-bc.
Let me know if you'd like me to check anything else.

Code:
emerge -pv =x11-libs/qt-3*

[ebuild   R   ] x11-libs/qt-3.3.6-r4  USE="cups immqt-bc mysql opengl -debug -doc -examples -firebird -gif -immqt -ipv6 -nas -nis -odbc -postgres -sqlite -xinerama" 0 kB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB

Code:
emerge -pv =x11-libs/qt-4*

[ebuild   R   ] x11-libs/qt-4.2.2  USE="cups jpeg mysql opengl png qt3support* zlib -accessibility -dbus -debug -doc -examples -firebird -gif -glib -mng -nas -nis -odbc -pch -postgres -sqlite -sqlite3 -xinerama" INPUT_DEVICES="-wacom" 0 kB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB

Cheers,
jarealist
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest portage version of qt3 needs the immqt/immqt-bc patch updated to work with it.

See bug report: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=169852

Seems there is no one to maintain the patch or the person that does maintain it is busy at the moment.

Just thought I would ask in this post if there is someone that could update the patch to work with qt-3.3.8.
hokstein
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I followed the instructions, and now I have skim running. But it doesn't show uim-anthy as an option. It shows these options for Japanese:

UIM-canna
UIM-skk
UIM-tcode
UIM-trycode
UIM-tutcode

None of these work. Any ideas?
ZmjbS
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hokstein wrote:
I followed the instructions, and now I have skim running. But it doesn't show uim-anthy as an option.

Do you have 'anthy' (or, possibly in your case: 'app-i18n/skim-scim-anthy') installed?
hokstein
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZmjbS wrote:
hokstein wrote:
I followed the instructions, and now I have skim running. But it doesn't show uim-anthy as an option.

Do you have 'anthy' (or, possibly in your case: 'app-i18n/skim-scim-anthy') installed?

I have anthy 8700b. I tried installing scim-anthy 1.3.0, but the ebuild fails. I filed a bug for it here. I tried installing the previous version, scim-anthy 1.2.2, but for some strange reason portage pulls scim-anthy 1.3.0 as a dependency. :?
ZmjbS
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hokstein wrote:
I have anthy 8700b. I tried installing scim-anthy 1.3.0, but the ebuild fails.
Again, what about 'skim-scim-anthy'? You are running skim (not scim), right?

hokstein wrote:
I filed a bug for it here. I tried installing the previous version, scim-anthy 1.2.2, but for some strange reason portage pulls scim-anthy 1.3.0 as a dependency. :?

Looks like you may have to wait for the bug to be fixed before proceeding on skim. In the meantime, you may wish to give uim a go. See the Input Methods article on the Gentoo Wiki for installation instructions.
hokstein
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZmjbS wrote:
hokstein wrote:
I have anthy 8700b. I tried installing scim-anthy 1.3.0, but the ebuild fails.

Again, what about 'skim-scim-anthy'? You are running skim (not scim), right?

skim-scim-anthy depends on scim-anthy.

ZmjbS wrote:
hokstein wrote:
I filed a bug for it here. I tried installing the previous version, scim-anthy 1.2.2, but for some strange reason portage pulls scim-anthy 1.3.0 as a dependency. :?

Looks like you may have to wait for the bug to be fixed before proceeding on skim. In the meantime, you may wish to give uim a go. See the Input Methods article on the Gentoo Wiki for installation instructions.

I'll try that. Thanks!
frostschutz
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scim-anthy-1.3.0 compiles fine for me. I'm not using KDE though, so maybe it's the kde useflag? :?
Maybe it's because I use an unmodified version of scim-1.4.5-r1 (without the Gentoo imengine patch, which breaks scim for me).
newtonian
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: anthy Reply with quote

I did an emerge world recently and everything compiled fine for me on KDE.

In case anyone is interested here is what I'm running anthy wise:

Code:
mammoth shop # emerge --search anthy
Searching...
[ Results for search key : anthy ]
[ Applications found : 4 ]

*  app-i18n/anthy
      Latest version available: 8300
      Latest version installed: 7900
      Size of files: 3,618 kB
      Homepage:      http://anthy.sourceforge.jp/
      Description:   Anthy -- free and secure Japanese input system
      License:       GPL-2

*  app-i18n/scim-anthy
      Latest version available: 1.2.2
      Latest version installed: 1.2.2
      Size of files: 633 kB
      Homepage:      http://scim-imengine.sourceforge.jp/index.cgi?cmd=view;name=SCIMAnthy
      Description:   Japanese input method Anthy IMEngine for SCIM

*  app-i18n/skim-scim-anthy
      Latest version available: 1.2.2
      Latest version installed: 1.2.2
      Size of files: 911 kB
      Homepage:      http://scim-imengine.sourceforge.jp/index.cgi?cmd=view;name=SCIMAnthy
      Description:   SKIM configuration panel for scim-anthy
Magnum44
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Skim stop working fine... accents went mad! Reply with quote

Hello, I'm having problems with skim panel applet on KDE. The thing is that I don't know what the hell did I upgrade/change but now when I click on skim with the left mouse button, the list that once had the different IMEngines (Japanese, Spanish, English...) now it's empty! And skim doesn't throw any exception or error message.

I've checked the config and I have selected the IMEngine Spanish and Japanese, but none of them appears in the list. I'm writing in spanish but sometimes I write in japanese, so I need both. Another thing is that the accents stop working fine since this happens, now I get `a instead of á but just in KDE applications... in thunderbird and firefox they work fine.

Any ideas what is wrong? THANKS!
emilio_wuerges
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having some trouble to put japanese input on java 32 bits and firefox 32 bits in my amd64 gentoo.
64 bits native apps work. I followed this guide to do so.

What should I do?
Xamindar
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emilio_wuerges wrote:
I'm having some trouble to put japanese input on java 32 bits and firefox 32 bits in my amd64 gentoo.
64 bits native apps work. I followed this guide to do so.

What should I do?

Interesting, I'll have to test that. What 32 bit programs are out there? Maybe limewire? I'll test and see if i have the same problem. And Why are you using firefox 32 bits?
ZmjbS
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Skim stop working fine... accents went mad! Reply with quote

Magnum44 wrote:
Any ideas what is wrong? THANKS!

It's been a while. Is this still a problem?

Sounds like the Qt immodule is giving you trouble. Not sure what you should do to fix it. Guess you could try different USE flags before going to the skim people for help (if you haven't already).
kiss-o-matic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one that got this to work by using the "anthy" USE flag? Following the tutorial in the original post on my new system didn't work. USE="anthy" emerge uim fixed it. :?
ZmjbS
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiss-o-matic wrote:
Am I the only one that got this to work by using the "anthy" USE flag? Following the tutorial in the original post on my new system didn't work. USE="anthy" emerge uim fixed it. :?

The original post is about three years old.

Venturing a guess as to why you couldn't use uim without the anthy flag, I'd say that probably you hadn't set a default input method, but the flag may have done it (I looked through the ebuild, but didn't see anything that indicated how that would have happened, though, except for the --enable-dict option). Remember, though: that was just a guess.
Moncader
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the issue with 32 bit library programs, firefox specifically. (actually, skype 32 bit works)
First off, I'm using 32 bit firefox because 64 bit flash sucks :)
I've tried quite almost every combination of everything out there... However, SCIM DOES work (sometimes.... scim doesn't really like me for anything) with firefox... so it would seem to be a uim bug somehow...

**UPDATE!
NEVER mind... I've fixed it... Fooling around more with environment variables got it... LC_CTYPE must be ja_JP.utf8...

A note to people... when you shoot off 'locale -a' and it returns en_US.utf8 or whatever... make sure you use en_US.utf8, NOT en_US.utf-8 (notice the dash) That's what got me...
friesia
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Qt4 Reply with quote

As from what I see, is it impossible to you these input methods in Qt4 apps. Am I mistaken?
It's working fine for me in GTK and Qt3. My only Qt4 application is Psi 0.11, and I just installed qmpdclient to make sure that scim really has problems with Qt4.
Kate Monster
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I followed the guide and I have Japanese fonts and Japanese input working great. But now I want to setup a new user account with KDE(3.5.8) in Japanese. When I go into kcontrol -> Regional & Accessibility -> Country/Region & Language, it says English is the only language available. Do I need to re-emerge KDE for this to work?

locale -a:
C
POSIX
en_US.utf8
ja_JP.utf8

locale:
LANG=
LC_CTYPE="en_US.utf8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.utf8"
LC_TIME="en_US.utf8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.utf8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.utf8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.utf8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.utf8"
LC_NAME="en_US.utf8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.utf8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.utf8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.utf8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.utf8"
LC_ALL=en_US.utf8
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: