Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
HOWTO: Enabling Japanese (or: CJK in KDE & Gnome)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Freak_NL
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

olof wrote:
If anyone is interested, I posted some ebuilds for Tomoe in bugzilla (tomoe, libtomoe-gtk, scim-tomoe). Tomoe is a japanese handwriting recognition engine, and with scim-tomoe it integrates nicely into scim, giving you something close to the full IME in windows. It may not be quite as good as the Microsoft handwriting recognition yet, but at least it is usable. For a nice description take a look here.

If you have any comments on the ebuilds pleast let me know, it's my first time submitting ebuilds.

I'm very much impressed with Tomoe (thanks for the ebuilds olof), but I wonder where they've gotten their character data from. They seem to know about the CHISE project, so I can imagine that they've used its IDS database as a source.

What bothers me though, on my Sharp Zaurus the kanji 字 (ji) can be written with both 5 and 6 strokes. Both are common ways of writing the character, although I'm not sure which one is "correct" (the Nelson dictionary considers it as having 6 strokes, as does CHISE). Yet Tomoe won't accept the 6 stroke way of writing..
yaneurabeya
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone successfully changed the input method change keys for (straight) UIM, and if so how? I hate the shift-space default and the other methods I input into the pref app seem to fail when dealing in the uim daemon.

TIA.
Sudrien
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yaneurabeya wrote:
Has anyone successfully changed the input method change keys for (straight) UIM, and if so how?

uim-pref-gtk - under "Global Key Bindings 1" - you can add and remove the settings as you need.

-Sud.
blauer_bildschirm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Problem with character mapping on german keyboard Reply with quote

Hello,

I got skim working following the guide on page 1, but still have some problem:

I am using a german keyboard layout and want to type hangul (3bul, using scim-hangul). When I toggle scim on and switch to 3bul, I get umlauts instead of the korean characters in some cases and the characters that are assigned to y/z are switched.

Of course I could switch my keyboard layout to US English, but then I couldn't use a german layout in case scim weren't running. I've already tried changing the Keyboard Layout in the skim settings from unknown to both German and US English. Neither does work.

Does anybody know if there is way to fix this?
Hoshimaru
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm ...

I guess I'm not the only one doing this: using Kopete with Gnome instead of aMsn or Gaim.
Does somewone know how I can use SCIM with Kopete, like it works with OpenOffice, Gedit, xchat etc?

I remember from my friends PC that he could choose the input method "XIM" by rightclicking and then use scim to type. I do not have this possibility with Gnome & Kopete.

Any ideas ?
pèdratan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completely offtopic, but I think probably this is the best thread to ask in:

What is the difference between anthy and anthy-ss?
Only the gentoo portage has the later, and in the anthy web site there is no info about it... or maybe there is, but in japanese.

Anyone has a clue?

Thanks.
yaneurabeya
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sudrien wrote:
yaneurabeya wrote:
Has anyone successfully changed the input method change keys for (straight) UIM, and if so how?

uim-pref-gtk - under "Global Key Bindings 1" - you can add and remove the settings as you need.

-Sud.

Sorry, but I meant straight editing ~/.uim or something similar because that particular method doesn't appear to work properly yet.. or at least it screws up and doesn't activate/deactivate the UIM IM after I change that setting.

Can someone that properly modified their ~/.uim file post it here please? Thanks!
Inhuman_
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:12 am    Post subject: ありがとう Reply with quote

今、日本語が使えできる! どうもありがとう!
でもちゅとむすかしいでした。
boltar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've followed the guide, I can enter hiragana and katakana, but I'm having problems with the dictionary. I fire off scim, then I start uim-toolbar-gtk, and I select "anthy" as my input method. For example, when I type 'nihon' にほん in hiragana, then press spacebar, I was expecting to see the kanji for nihon, but I'm seeing some weird listings: Here are the top 3 choices:

口碑ん
后妃ん
高庇ん

None of which makes any sense. Sometimes the kanji lookup will crash the app (gaim or gedit).

These are the packages I have emerged:

app-i18n/scim 1.4.4
app-i18n/scim-anthy 0.7.1
app-i18n/scim-tables 0.5.3
app-i18n/scim-uim 0.1.3
app-i18n/anthy 7500b
app-i18n/uim 0.5.0.1
yaneurabeya
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like to note that if you upgrade your version of gtk to the latest version of 2.10 and you use uim exclusively, you may also need to upgrade your version of anthy and uim, and then be sure to enable the anthy use flag for uim.

Other than that, have to say that the interface for UIM is a lot better. The only thing is that the input method switching still doesn't work, but I think it's because some of the IM method change key settings are duplicated in the default config under the global and anthy key binding settings (zenkaku-hankaku / shift-meta / alt-shift). Gotta figure out how to fix this, because it seems trivial..
frostschutz
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frostschutz wrote:
Now onto some problems I have: After doing a fresh Gentoo install, Japanese input stopped working with xterm/urxvt and OpenOffice. When pressing ctrl+space, the input window comes up, however inserting the Japanese text into the application does not work. For example, when typing something like ひらがな, the result that gets pasted into the application is "*c2ccc", along with some special characters. However, it's not that the applications can't handle Japanese - copy&pasting Japanese text works and gets displayed properly. So my guess is that SCIM sends crap or uses wrong charset (whole system runs in UTF-8 mode as per this Howto though).

There's a patch for this problem in Bug 142056
arathalion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, well, ive read through the thread, and it has helped fix a few problems.

but

i cant get katakana with scim
and uim-anthy does not exist, even though i emerged anthy first, as it says above to do.

i cant get input in firefox or ooffice. playing around with the locals i might have fixed ooffice, but i didnt get a chance to test it as azureus decided that it wanted to be in jap, when i didnt want it to be (im only learning atm,) so i changed it back... oh, and it was slowing everything down aswell.

the only things ive tried it in otherwise was xterm (didnt work) leafpad and gaim (both did).

oh, im using enlightenment... but im not sure if thats effecting everything (though i am getting an error with something at the start... something about something not being found... not sure whats coursing that yet)

also, should i get ~x86 versions of anthy uim and scim... and i think i missed something... what is skim?
Sudrien
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arathalion wrote:
ok, well, ive read through the thread, and it has helped fix a few problems.

but

i cant get katakana with scim
and uim-anthy does not exist, even though i emerged anthy first, as it says above to do.

i cant get input in firefox or ooffice. playing around with the locals i might have fixed ooffice, but i didnt get a chance to test it as azureus decided that it wanted to be in jap, when i didnt want it to be (im only learning atm,) so i changed it back... oh, and it was slowing everything down aswell.

the only things ive tried it in otherwise was xterm (didnt work) leafpad and gaim (both did).

oh, im using enlightenment... but im not sure if thats effecting everything (though i am getting an error with something at the start... something about something not being found... not sure whats coursing that yet)

also, should i get ~x86 versions of anthy uim and scim... and i think i missed something... what is skim?

SKIM is the SCIM equivalent for KDE, I believe.

For a terminal, I'd suggest either XFCE's or Gnome's terminal offerings (both are GTK+-based).

GTK+ programs generally won't slow down, since they already work with UTF8 internally.

-Sud.
arathalion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, though i discovered that that line made several programs appear in jap... probably because my language is en_AU.UTF-8.
zecg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: A few questions... Reply with quote

Firstly, thank you all a lot for this thread. My experience is as follows:

I currently have:
KDE 3.5.6
qt 3.3.6-r4
Gtk+ 2.10.9
scim 1.4.5-r1
scim-anthy 1.0.0
scim-qtimm 0.9.4
anthy-ss 8517

Everything works as expected. But I have some questions:

1. someone already asked, but there was no response and the Google is not helpful in this case. What is the difference between anthy and anthy-ss? Since anthy-ss has a higher version number, I installed that. Both work as expected in the above combination.

2. scim 1.2.2 does not work with Gtk. Can someone confirm this?

3. skim-scim-anthy package does not work at all in providing an interface to anthy (it makes skim crash)

Thanks for any and all replies.
frostschutz
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: A few questions... Reply with quote

zecg wrote:

Where do you get that version number from? I'm using (due to some bug slightly modified) scim 1.4.5-r1 which works for me.

I don't use anything KDE at all so I can't help you with skim unfortunately. As for anthy-ss, I don't know the difference either.
zecg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: A few questions... Reply with quote

frostschutz wrote:
zecg wrote:

Where do you get that version number from? I'm using (due to some bug slightly modified) scim 1.4.5-r1 which works for me.

Sorry, it's the version number of scim-anthy. That is the thing that doesn't work.
frostschutz
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talking about this bug? In that case, removing the imengine patch from the scim-1.4.5-r1 ebuild and then re-emerging scim fixed the problem for me. See also my prior reply (9 Jan 2007) to this thread. It works perfectly fine for me now.
zecg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's not that bug. With scim-anthy 1.2.2 (or skim-scim-anthy 1.2.2) there is an "anthy" section in my scim config, but scim crashes if I click on it.

Also, another problem: kopete segfaults if I receive any messages (no matter what application has focus) while the anthy IM is active.
b0b0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just updated to uim-1.2.1 after it was stabilised in portage, and now my Kanji conversion no longer works. I use Anthy as my dictionary, for which I compiled uim with the proper use flag. Is anyone else having this problem?
newtonian
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

b0b0 wrote:
I just updated to uim-1.2.1 after it was stabilised in portage, and now my Kanji conversion no longer works. I use Anthy as my dictionary, for which I compiled uim with the proper use flag. Is anyone else having this problem?

What version of qt is your system using?

Anyone have any luck with qt4 and Japanese input?
I checked out the Japanese gentoo sites and they generally tell you to downgrade to qt3.

System upgrades to qt4 invariably kill my Japanese input.

Cheers,
ZmjbS
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Qt 3 and input methods Reply with quote

newtonian wrote:
I checked out the Japanese gentoo sites and they generally tell you to downgrade to qt3.
The Qt immodule project added input method module support to Qt, but only version 3. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to have been much happening for version 4 since August 2004.
newtonian
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Qt 3 and input methods Reply with quote

ZmjbS wrote:
newtonian wrote:
The Qt immodule project added input method module support to Qt, but only version 3. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to have been much happening for version 4 since August 2004.

Actually I got Japanese input working very nicely with qt4.
I was going to write a howto but wanted to get used to setting
it up on a few computers first. I followed the uim+anthy
wiki instructions on the Japanese gentoo site.
http://wiki.gentoo.gr.jp/index.php?%5B%5B%C6%FC%CB%DC%B8%EC%C6%FE%CE%CF%C0%DF%C4%EA%BB%F6%CE%E3%BD%B8%2Fuim%2Banthy%5D%5D

Cheers,
ZmjbS
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: Qt 3 and input methods Reply with quote

newtonian wrote:
Actually I got Japanese input working very nicely with qt4.
I was going to write a howto but wanted to get used to setting
it up on a few computers first. I followed the uim+anthy
wiki instructions on the Japanese gentoo site.
http://wiki.gentoo.gr.jp/index.php?%5B%5B%C6%FC%CB%DC%B8%EC%C6%FE%CE%CF%C0%DF%C4%EA%BB%F6%CE%E3%BD%B8%2Fuim%2Banthy%5D%5D

But that site doesn't seem to mention Qt 4 in particular. In fact, as I understand, the immodules (immqt and immqt-bc) mentioned are only for Qt 3.

Are you using Qt 4 only, or both 3 and 4? Do you run many Qt applications? Are they linked statically to Qt?

I'm glad you've got things working! After fiddling around trying to fix things, my Qt input is now completely broken :-( Has anyone come across a good guide to Qt and immoduling?
newtonian
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Qt 3 and input methods Reply with quote

ZmjbS wrote:

But that site doesn't seem to mention Qt 4 in particular. In fact, as I understand, the immodules (immqt and immqt-bc) mentioned are only for Qt 3.

Are you using Qt 4 only, or both 3 and 4? Do you run many Qt applications? Are they linked statically to Qt?

I'm glad you've got things working! After fiddling around trying to fix things, my Qt input is now completely broken :-( Has anyone come across a good guide to Qt and immoduling?

Actually, yes I'm using both qt3 and qt4. Here are my use keywords:

Code:
USE="-gtk -gnome -ipv6 qt3 qt3support kde cjk nls immqt-bc -immqt unicode

And I do everything in KDE.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 9 of 12

Jump to: