Gentoo Install Boot Disk?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyde
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 1:38 am    Post subject: Gentoo Install Boot Disk? Reply with quote

Hey everyone, I'm trying to install Gentoo Linux on a really old dual Pentium I server. The problem is that the CD drive is not bootable. Is there somewhere I can download a boot disk image, write that to a disk, start up the server on that, and *then* have it go to the inserted CD to get the rest of the install data? Thanks.
ShoobS
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 3:17 am    Post subject: Try Smart Boot Manager Reply with quote

You should be able to boot from a CD-ROM if you install Smart Boot Manager...It doesn't need a new partition to reside on....the URL is http://btmgr.gnuchina.org/
Cyde
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't get this working. Boot Manager doesn't recognize my CD-ROM drive (it's an old caddy type in my Dell PowerEdge XE-5166 2 server). Know where I can get something like boot manager that will work for my specific CD-ROM drive? Thanks.
Stalione
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i know most of you are going to hate me for this suggestion.....and to tell you the truth i keep it as a last option.... but i tend to work with a lot of old old machines and often run into cases where the bios is so damn old that its version number is in Roman Numerals ...hehe... :lol:
I usually throw in a win9x boot disk, and start the computer with cdrom support and go from there. But now that I think about it...I wonder if it will work for gentoo bootdisk. I ussed this nasty trick few times when I was installing RH on old machines, all i had to do was get to the dosutils folder and start the autoexec from there. I don't know if it will work for Gentoo. Give it a shot.

V
Nitro
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why use the cd anyway? Look at this: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=82

Worked on my p180 and p133 Laptop.

Please, please SEARCH before posting.

There are three kinds of people in the world: those who can count, and those who can't.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: