alpha system insists to boot
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alex.blackbit
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: alpha system insists to boot Reply with quote

hello everybody!

my internet gateway is a LX164, 600Mhz which worked great for months now.
i want to boot from a different device now and therefore wanted to access my srm console again which i did not for a long time.
so i rebooted and hit ctrl-c which worked always. now it does no more.
i examined the boot procedure and found out that nothing really is output until linux boots.
i remember that there were some status codes printed on the screen like e5...e6...f2... or the like.
now: nothing. just the blue screen with a blinking white cursor in the top left corner and then linux starts. strange.
so i tried to unplug the hdd so he cannot boot and i hoped that i would get my console. no. then he stops at the blue screen.
i also tried to "echo -n 'HALT' >/proc/srm_environment/named_variables/auto_action", but then i get
Code:
echo: write error: interrupt

what's wrong with my beloved alpha box? if something was really broken it would not boot anymore, right?

does anybody know help?

kind regards
--alex
airbatica
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an LX164 as well, though its currently in retirement. Blasphemy, I know. The only time I ever saw what you described is when I set the system to output the SRM console on the serial port. Hook a null modem cable up and see if you get anything that looks familiar. Failing that, I think you can reset the NVRAM by playing with the jumpers on the board, but I don't have the diagrams in front of me. You might also remove the clock battery and let it sit for a couple of minutes (hours/days?). Might be time for a new battery anyways. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
alex.blackbit
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i do not know why the output should be set to serial, but it is something i can try.
removing the battery should at least change something, what is indeed better than nothing.
thanks for the thoughts.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: