mips ip27 sgi origin2000
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
srdjan.rosic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: mips ip27 sgi origin2000 Reply with quote

one of the guys I know offered to donate some hardware so we (faculty students) could run a mail/webserver (possibly some postfix+apache+php+mysql) but we are unsure what software could be run on it.
here is how he described it to me
Code:
SGI ORIGIN 2000 2 CPU RISC R1000, 1GB i 6 scsi hdd w/ IRIX 6.4 (blablabla in serbian...) MIPS IP27 SGI

now, I've never seen anything similar, I think he meant R10000 and i heard there are some issues with it.
so the question is.
how fast is it actually (how to compile stuff, does the console work) ?
is anybody actually running gentoo on something like that.
creideiki
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run Gentoo on a large IP27 with 16*R10k + 16*R12k CPU:s, 11GB RAM. All hardware works - serial console, SCSI, network. Graphics won't work, but Origin 2000:s don't have graphics cards - if it had it would have been called an Onyx 2.

R10k CPU:s run at 250MHz, so they're not very fast individually, but a couple of CPU:s should run mail and web just fine. See if you can get another couple of CPU boards - there are 2 CPU:s per board and each system module can hold 4 boards, so you should be able to fit 8 CPU:s in your machine.

My only problem is that when I enable a lot of CPU:s, Linux runs extremely slow - "top" shows upwards of 90% system time when running simple compilations with all 32 CPU:s running. Running only one module (8 CPU:s) works well, so you shouldn't have any problems. (If any kernel hackers are reading this, could I ask you to take a look at this thread on the linux-mips list about the problem?)
Redhatter
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

creideiki wrote:
R10k CPU:s run at 250MHz, so they're not very fast individually, but a couple of CPU:s should run mail and web just fine. See if you can get another couple of CPU boards - there are 2 CPU:s per board and each system module can hold 4 boards, so you should be able to fit 8 CPU:s in your machine.

That's actually incorrect in general. There were R10000 CPU modules made, clocked at 175MHz and 195MHz in addition to 250MHz... possibly other clock speeds too.

As for overall performance, if you've got lots of individual processes running simultaneously, you'll get quite a bit of grunt out of that server. However, if you're running a single unthreadded task, one CPU will run that thread, the rest will sit idle. Running webapps tend to be parallel by their very nature, so as long as you configure Apache with the right number of threads, you should be okay.

Gentoo/MIPS Cobalt developer, Mozilla herd member.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: