moving target?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
benbruscella
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 8:21 am    Post subject: moving target? Reply with quote

Gentoo... rox.

But, I am in Australia, and broadband isnt... so I really would like to create a sort-of gentoo 'snapshot' system for myself while I play with gentoo, but I found I was constantly having to grab new packages from the web after rsyncing. So I am looking for some advice on the correct way to grab a complete set of files for this stable (stable as in not changing) distro of mine and make sure I get it right so I can emerge without errors. emerge is very flakey for me right now, but its probably something I have done in trying all this stuff out :/

To test this theory, I basically want to setup the base system, and then maybe kde, gnome and xmms, consistantly without downloading any new packages. For the record, I have setup gentoo a few times, already, but always needed new packages after an rsync, and via modem, that sux :/

So, what I planned on doing was to install gentoo 1.2 stage 3, download a portage snapshot (ie not rsync), backup my old portage tree (/usr/portage) and untar the snapshot instead. Then I assume when I do an emerge -f system world, then emerge -f kde gnome xmms, and I'll be retrieveing the files listed in the portage snapshot everytime, and then if I ever had to install again, I'd have the exact versions needed always everytime, right? So, in theory, I would never have to rsync again (even though I would of course, just slowly!).

So, some questions.....

1. What about emerge itself? Do I have to grab a specific version of the python scripts, ebuild, etc etc? What about my database?

2. emerge world, emerge system, emerge -u world, emerge -u system - what is the correct option here to get a completely in sync set of all system files that are listed in the portage snapshot? And make sure they all are rebuilt? from scratch?

3. gcc 3.1 - is it a completely different portage tree on 1.3a and b releases, or is it just using a different gcc? How can I tell? And how can I tell the entire system to use gcc 3.1 instead?

4. Is stage 1 a better option for doing this?

Thanks in advance!

PS - I have no problem with the gentoo moving target, just trying to get a stable 'distro' to test on a couple of machines that do not have net access :)
alec
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what you probably want to do:

(I'm assuming you have a LAN for these machines)

Set up one box with net access as your mini rsync server. There is some documentation. Obviously, you probably don't want to rsync up every 30 minutes - just whenever you want to update. Set up this system, emerging everything you want. Set up Boa or Apache (boa is small, quick, and easy to set up) and link your /usr/portage/distfiles directory to the wwwroot. You've just set up your own little Gentoo world! Point all of your installations to sync up with your rsync and grab packages from your http server.

I do this and it works well for me - I have several machines running Gentoo and just rsync one of them up with the main server. Saves Gentoo bandwidth, saves me time.

gcc-3 uses the same portage tree that gcc-2 does. There's only one :) It compiles most things (check out the GCC3 forum). To use gcc-3, grab one of the 1.3 stage tarballs - you can use your existing 1.2 boot CD.

You don't need a particular version of anything, as long as it works. Latest is greatest :)
Swishy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search the forum , someone has already created an ISO and provided a link for the download :)

Cheers
Dale.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alec wrote:
Set up Boa or Apache (boa is small, quick, and easy to set up) and link your /usr/portage/distfiles directory to the wwwroot.
Read the doc, but didn't see any mention of needing a webserver.
How does that come into play? Eventually I'll have a Gentoo firewall
and figured I'd let it rsync for me, but I only plan to have as little
software on it as possible.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swishy wrote:
Search the forum , someone has already created an ISO and provided a link for the download :)

Cheers
Dale.
Here is the link I think you are referring to. If I'm not mistaken
the image is in the neighborhood of 600+ MB though.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:

You somehow need to serve up files to clients -- Gentoo typically does that through HTTP and/or FTP connections. So, by setting up a simple web server, you can accomplish much the same thing.

Alternately, you can export /usr/portage/distfiles as an NFS share and mount it on your other systems, which should provide similar results.

--kurt
Swishy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:
Swishy wrote:

Cheers
Dale.
Here is the link I think you are referring to. If I'm not mistaken
the image is in the neighborhood of 600+ MB though.

That'd be it ...cheers kanuslupus :D
alec
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
kanuslupus wrote:

You somehow need to serve up files to clients -- Gentoo typically does that through HTTP and/or FTP connections. So, by setting up a simple web server, you can accomplish much the same thing.

Alternately, you can export /usr/portage/distfiles as an NFS share and mount it on your other systems, which should provide similar results.

--kurt

Sorry I didn't make that too clear. Add it as the primary mirror under the variable GENTOO_MIRRORS in your /etc/make.conf - for example, if you've linked /usr/portage/distfiles to /home/httpd/htdocs/distfiles, just enter in "http://yourIP" before the ibiblio mirror (don't include the /distfiles) and portage will look there before heading out to the real net.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: