Two questions - python 2.5 and remote x11
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomt21
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Two questions - python 2.5 and remote x11 Reply with quote

I already have Yellow Dog 5 on my PS3 but I'm going to switch to Gentoo because I love portage, but I have two questions and hopefully someone on here has already tried it and knows the answer:

Is it possible to run python 2.5 on the PS3? I want ctypes and Yellow Dog only comes with 2.4. I'm hoping it will just compile from source but maybe not?

Also a slightly less PS3/gentoo specific question, is it possible to use startx or xinit to display a full screen desktop environment on a remote machine? So for example if I have my powerbook plugged into the ps3 by the ethernet cable can I make fluxbox run on the X11 on my powerbook fullscreen, rather than displaying on my TV? I can ssh -X into the PS3 from my powerbook and run emacs and things from an xterm but I'd rather have a full window manager running.

Incidentally I tried running the pidigits benchmark on my 1.5ghz G4 powerbook and on my PS3 to see how they would compare, the PS3 was marginally quicker even though its not using the SPE's :)

Thanks!
mark_alec
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't have a PS3 but from what I can gather, python-2.5 is hardmasked due to some compatibility problems with other python packages, but if you unmask it, it should work fine on a PS3 (as it is has ppc/ppc64 keywords.)

As for running a remote desktop, look into Xnest or Xephyr.
tomt21
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I'll try those, as for python 2.5 installed fine and seems to be working ok :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: