Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
wtf? Is everything going wrong at gentoo?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: wtf? Is everything going wrong at gentoo? Reply with quote

Pretty much, flameeyes, one of the best gentoo devs EVER is leaving:

http://farragut.flameeyes.is-a-geek.org/articles/2007/02/18/im-tired-of-being-insulted

from reading -dev and looking at CIA every now and again i can see that he wasd one of the hardest devs around and will be greatly missed
thestick
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`m really gonna miss him.
Go with Christ , diego.
anello
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn! Its getting worse and worse. Why isn't the council or devrel or whatever is responisible to supervise finally taking measures? He isn't the first to complain about that situtation ...
wah
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was sad to hear this as well...I always enjoyed reading Diego's blog entries, as they were very informative.

Good luck Diego! Keep up the good work!

Cheers,
W.
- Registered Linux User #418541
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anello wrote:
damn! Its getting worse and worse. Why isn't the council or devrel or whatever is responisible to supervise finally taking measures? He isn't the first to complain about that situtation ...
because half of devrel resigned
Voltago
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit, since you yourself are no stranger to flaming, I feel that kind of post coming from you is a bit hypocritical.
anello
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
anello wrote:

with no replacements?!?
blubbi
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

farewell flameeyes

It's not the first dev which got "mobbed" out and I guess if the "responsible" persons woun't change their behavior, he will not be the last.
Gentoo structure is build up on such devs like flameeyes and it's not a good habit du scare them away!

So go an think about your "education"!

regards
blubbi
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is outrage! Flameeyes has been one of the best developers we have had. It will be a great loss to see him leave. And with jakub thinking of doing the same, I think Gentoo is in real trouble. It is so sad to see such a lack of leadership in this distro we all love.
blubbi
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full Ack!

I guess some devs just forgett about "social behavior" while they ar sitting over their code.

It's a really sad path we are on right now.
amne
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltago wrote:
cokehabit, since you yourself are no stranger to flaming, I feel that kind of post coming from you is a bit hypocritical.

FWIW cokehabit was kicked out of userrel way faster than anyone from Gentoo for similar misbehaviour.
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltago wrote:
I dont understand what you are trying to say. I am saying that I am amazed that Gentoo is so bad behind the scenes that one of it's best developers leaves
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anello wrote:
cokehabit wrote:
anello wrote:
with no replacements?!?
Yes but It seems like people skills and leadership are obviously more needed at the moment. Devrel seems impotent, the council seems to be doing ok, i'm not sure if the trustees have had to do anything recently, userrel doesn't seems to doing anything vaguely to do with the users and the userreps have stalled.
tsunam
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
anello wrote:
cokehabit wrote:
anello wrote:
with no replacements?!?
Yes but It seems like people skills and leadership are obviously more needed at the moment. Devrel seems impotent, the council seems to be doing ok, i'm not sure if the trustees have had to do anything recently, userrel doesn't seems to doing anything vaguely to do with the users and the userreps have stalled.

The trustee's have absolutely no responsibility for the technical side of the gentoo project. They have nothing to do with this issue, so don't mention them like they have some part in this at all. Its Devrel and the Council that are responsible for anything of this nature. This has been boiling for a while, and the last straw has finally be broken.
rhill
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're screwed.
think4urs11
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtyepic wrote:
We're screwed.

Nope, we're on the beginning of an (seems to) urgently needed constructive+respectful discussion. Everything else would be cowardly 'duck and cover behaviour'.
Should include _all_ parties from 'known power users'/'otherwise known helpful persons', developers, dev/userrel up to the council.
TheCoop
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will enough people really get their heads out of their asses to have that constructive conversation/debate, or will gentoo die the death of a thousand forks?

What gentoo needs is the ppl causing all the problems (dunno who those are, really...) to be kicked out, cvs access revoked, etc etc. But thats not going to happen.

"One World, One web, One program" - Microsoft Promo ad.
"Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Führer" - Adolf Hitler

Change the world - move a rock
think4urs11
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheCoop wrote:
will enough people really get their heads out of their asses to have that constructive conversation/debate, or will gentoo die the death of a thousand forks?
What gentoo needs is the ppl causing all the problems (dunno who those are, really...) to be kicked out, cvs access revoked, etc etc. But thats not going to happen.

The later is not a solution but a workaround. With that the actual situation might be fixed but i've some severe doubts about.
If noone stands up to really clean up the mess from ground up we'll face similar situations regulary in near future again and again. It is very obvious (to me) that some of the background processes seem to be a bit inefficent (or need some more attention) - from guys and girls who can cope with that.
Voltago
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheCoop wrote:
What gentoo needs is the ppl causing all the problems (dunno who those are, really...) to be kicked out, cvs access revoked, etc etc.

Oh, you mean the developers :wink:
But seriously though, I'm pretty sure you can't lay the blame on a couple of badguys and hope if they are gone that everything will be sunshine and lollypops. When you got a group of over-worked under-appreciated people, I can imagine that everyone is a little on edge and some minor disagreement quickly escalates to a full-grown flamefest. No, what Gentoo probably needs is consolidation: Axe sub-projects that go nowhere, push package groups in overlays, create versioned toolchains and drop support for everything else, that kind of thing. Less complexity. Less workload.
blubbi
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the big problem is that you can not punish someone for mobbing out others.

Everybody is working for free on a project, so if one got mobbed out, you throw the evel one out too... it ends up in -2 devs for gentoo... not good.

Some "institution" of thrusted, respected and fairminded users/devs should arbitrate.... I guess that was what uerrel/devrrel was intended to do, wan't it? But this idea implies that the attacked dev seeks contact to "the institution"... would you? Wouldn't it let you look like a child crying for you mom?

Quite complicated the whole situation.

regards
blubbi
TheCoop
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect there's no easy answer to fix it. And devs would be loath to implement any deep changes to How Things Are Done, even if it alienates the community, which is what gentoo was based on in the first place

"One World, One web, One program" - Microsoft Promo ad.
"Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Führer" - Adolf Hitler

Change the world - move a rock
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tsunam wrote:
cokehabit wrote:
anello wrote:
cokehabit wrote:
anello wrote:
with no replacements?!?

The trustee's have absolutely no responsibility for the technical side of the gentoo project. They have nothing to do with this issue, so don't mention them like they have some part in this at all. Its Devrel and the Council that are responsible for anything of this nature. This has been boiling for a while, and the last straw has finally be broken.
i know that, thats why i said i dont think they have had anything to do, i didn't mean to make it seem like that
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe developers could be added to a "sin bin" or something?

There also seems to be a complete lack of willingness to admit there is a problem.

Also it seems that -core just exists so devs can have a shouting match, if there wasn't an invisible list to the users then maybe people would think twice about saying something
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, there's a massive delrel problem, even though I can't chat in -dev, I still sometimes go there to weigh up the form. Often I see needless, childlike bickering and huff-motivated kick/bans, particularly coming from a 'developer' who likes to talk a lot without much substance to back it up. When I see the internal bickering of developers it makes me not want to bother to file bugs or submit ebuilds, I don't see how this mess is left to grow into a damn fine developer leaving because devrel is on side of the provocator, everyone should be kicking up stink, and left nameless person should be dealt with seriously.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jakub wrote:
EAPI docs – last commit there about month ago; devmanual bugs rotting in bugzilla; QA violations breaking the tree are ignored (with hal vs. pciutils being the most recent example)

I've been waiting for that EAPI thing, which was apparently discussed on the dev list last summer. Don't know about the other stuff; @kloeri: is any of the above accurate in your opinion?

One thing I would say; geoman started the rudeness in the context of the bugzilla conversation. I've seen far too many posts from devs who seem to think it's acceptable to insult people. Can we at least get a consensus that this is unacceptable? IOW attack ideas, not people. And yes, whoever devrel are, imo they need to enforce politeness. FFS the forums are better moderated.

Personality clashes will always happen; can't devs just avoid each other? God knows i avoid some, and i'm not even a contributor.. :P
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: