View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
borh
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject: Matroska mplayer-cvs support [ebuilds inside] Reply with quote

Edit: scroll down the post for newer ebuilds.
Matroska is a new, extensible open standard Audio/Video container format (like .avi or .ogm). More information at www.matroska.org.

I have made ebuilds for libebml, libmatroska, mkvtoolnix and have made a new mplayer-cvs ebuild version so you can actually do something usefull. Vlc 0.6.0 also has support for Matroska files, but I do not have it working yet.
Right now, finding .mkv files on the internet is still rare, but will probably become more common once Matroska matures (and creating them is also fun ;)). Download links:

All these ebuilds are tagged ~x86 (unstable). Untar them to your PORTDIR_OVERLAY. For mplayer you have to have the "matroska" USE flag set.
Code:
USE="matroska" emerge mplayer-cvs

Matroska ebuilds (libebml, libmatroska, mkvtoolnix)

(NOTE: since corecodec.org is down and the Matroska webpage is semi-broken, the ebuilds download from videolan.org)

mplayer-cvs ebuilds

(NOTE: mplayer cvs often breaks, so do not expect to get it to always compile. I had problems at first, but then disabled alot of USE flags and the compile went through.)

A guide
(towards the end) for creating Matroska files in mplayer.

These are my first ebuilds, so it might not work. I've only tested this on one Matroska file and it worked; I haven't created one yet. Please post to this topic if you find any bugs or if you have any problems.

EDIT: UPDATED:

I have made some new stable libebml and libmatroska ebuilds for version 0.4.4. You can get them at:
Matroska ebuilds (libebml and libmatroska 0.4.4, mkvtoolnix 0.5.0)

I have also made a small fix to the mplayer-cvs ebuild (mkvtoolnix is not needed for matroska support in mplayer). Get the new ebuild:
mplayer-cvs ebuilds

I'm also working on CVS versions of libebml and libmatroska, but CVS is down and I cannot test them. Download them here.

Last edited by borh on Wed Jul 02, 2003 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
rvalles
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 6:17 am    Post subject: Matroska: Not good for general-purpose, I think. Reply with quote

I've been talking with someone from Matroska project.
I've learned that Matroska is designed for editing, and really bad for streaming or anything else. Why? It does rely on having always one frame per page, this way it's easier to cut/edit a Matroska file, but on the other hand, it makes it hard to parse (particulary, it produces memory hogs because of some frames being very hug, therefore increases cpu requirements while demuxing, too) and hard to stream, for the same reason.
This is a stopper for playing them in embended devices. It would make it hard to be implemented for those resource-limited play-it-all divx+xvid+ogg+vorbis+mp3+dvd consumer products.
I would recommend using ogg instead, that does everything Matroska does despite the one frame/page thing that it's only annoying unless those corner-cases, and it's a currently established format, and a free one. It does have a very small overhead (unlike AVI), good support for variable bitrate codecs, and ultrafast seeking, and comes from the people at xiph.org, the ones who made ogg-vorbis and are developing a new video codec, too. (http://www.theora.org)
By the way, mplayer has been suporting the ogm format for a long time, you can rip in ogm using dvd::rip and we've got ogmtools in portage, too.
Note: Some people call video ogg's ogm. Actually ogm and ogg are exactly the same, it's just that some people (not me) prefer that to distinguish video+audio from just audio.
borh
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clear up some confusion between ogg, ogm and matroska:

1) .ogg is specifically designed for streaming audio (vorbis). ogg was not designed for video or any other thing.

2) .ogm is an implementation of adding other things to .ogg by Tobias (now a developer for Xiph). But since there are no official specs and the sources have not yet been released (they have been promised for more then half a year), the situation is currently unclear what will happen to ogm.

3) Most likely, the folks at Xiph will change the specs when they addopt ogm for video/audio/etc content (though they said they would keep backwards compatibility for playing ogm files).

4) Matroska is designed for any type of codec, designed for editability, has a flexible design and is gaining support for things such as chapters, tags, menus, audiogain, subtitle (text and image). It remains unclear if ogm will support such things as menus or image subtitles.
rvalles
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems there are many misconceptions about Ogg. I wasn't sure about all of them, so I've checked their websites and asked some people in the xiph IRC network about that:

Quote:

For stream based storage (such as files) and transport (such as TCP streams or pipes), Vorbis and other future Ogg codecs use the Ogg bitstream to provide framing/sync, sync recapture after error, landmarks during seeking, and enough information to properly separate data back into packets at the original packet boundaries without relying on decoding to find packet boundaries.

So it wasn't designed for audio. Actually, the design constraints for Ogg bitstreams were:
1. True streaming; we must not need to seek to build a 100% complete bitstream.
2. Use no more than approximately 1-2% of bitstream bandwidth for packet boundary marking, high-level framing, sync and seeking.
3. Specification of absolute position within the original sample stream.
4. Detection of corruption, recapture after error and direct, random access to data at arbitrary positions in the bitstream."
5. Simple mechanism to ease limited editing, such as a simplified concatenation mechanism.

Ogm was primarilly non-official, but serves well for the job. There's why fansubbing and dvdriping scenes are using it so much. Now Tobias is a developer for Xiph, as you told.

Matroska still lacks stable-defined for some or support at all for some others, for things such as chapters, tags, menus, audiogain, subtitle (text and image), etc. They can be embended in Ogg, too, and some, like chapters or subtitles, are actually being used on ogm. Ogg is flexible enough for that, too, so here there's no difference at all.

Outside the topic, I'd like to recall Xiph.org is actually working on a free-as-in-freedom video codec that is called Theora (http://www.theora.org). It looks that it'll be a very nice one :).
xiphmont
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 1:55 am    Post subject: Sorry, wrong. Got any *true* supporting points? Reply with quote

borh wrote:
To clear up some confusion between ogg, ogm and matroska:

1) .ogg is specifically designed for streaming audio (vorbis). ogg was not designed for video or any other thing.

2) .ogm is an implementation of adding other things to .ogg by Tobias (now a developer for Xiph). But since there are no official specs and the sources have not yet been released (they have been promised for more then half a year), the situation is currently unclear what will happen to ogm.

3) Most likely, the folks at Xiph will change the specs when they addopt ogm for video/audio/etc content (though they said they would keep backwards compatibility for playing ogm files).

4) [...] It remains unclear if ogm will support such things as menus or image subtitles.

Hi. You may or may not know me. I designed and wrote the Ogg spec. 1 through 3 are dead wrong. 4 is mostly wrong. Whoever told you the above lied to you. I *just hate* to interject facts into Kool-Aid, but here's a few:

1) .ogg was designed for anything streamable. We finished an audio codec first. The Theora alpha happily streams Theora video and Vorbis audio in Ogg. There was no change to the spec to accommodate that because the spec was designed for it from the start. Look at the Ogg format revision field in Theora streams: still happily pegged at Ogg revision 0.

2) Tobias did not add to the spec; he implemented it. There were no changes to Ogg to facilitate video because Ogg was designed for it from the beginning.

3) There is no difference between .ogm and .ogg except the extention. Windows people wanted a different extention only so a/v files by default pop a different player on double click. The ogm project is not extending Ogg in any way; they're writing software that implements it.

4) Ogg is a linear format from which we will someday either implement ourselves (or encourage someone else to build) a nonlinear format. Menus and scripting are a nonlinear feature; Ogg will not support this (but whatever nonlinear system that gets built on ogg will). Titles and overlays are linear. Ogg supports them fine.

In summary, What Mastroska is that Ogg is not is a nonlinear format; if you insist on reinventing all the wheels we've made available to you, fine. However, I continue to get the impression that the main drive behind Mastroska is that the developers being pulled into it are simply getting duped: "We're making this because Ogg can't do it." Sorry dude, you're reimplementing a pile of features Ogg provides quite well. Do you actually know why, or is it just 'cool'?

Monty
ChristianHJW
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not here to start a flame war, but talking about facts :

- matroska does currently already support SSA and SRT ( UTF8 ) subtitles, while Tobias' OGM does only do ASCII SRT subs, so you can not use different languages if these are no on the same codec page. I dont know Theora's approach here, but IIRC i read on theora-devel ML that they introduce a new subs format with it, and are searching for somebody to write a subs editor for it. When browsing the Theora specs pages with a search engine for 'SSA' it returned with null. Image subs are already functional in our Windows based tools, but we are not there on Linux yet, thats why we dont release that yet.

- matroska may not be designed with streaming in mind, but there are ways to make it do that fine, my devs reminded me about this recently. After all, the 'normal' video user will be more interested is easy editing and nice storage features IMHO, so we dont think the missing streamability is an important issue preventing matroska's wide spread use.

- matroska playback on hardware devices is NOT worse than from Ogg, after all you need a complete frame in the buffer to be able to decode it, so i dont get rvalles point here.

- matroska playback support was recently added to VLC from the Videolan.org people, leaving Xine the only big OSS player without MKV support. VLC is available for Linux, win32, MacOSX and BeOS.

- Tobias Waldvogel, the original OGM creator, is currently busy with a day time job and becoming a software engineer same time, and this doesnt leave him any time to contribute anything to either Xiph or Corecodec. The last who actually seemd to be in contact with him was Jack Moffit from Xiph, asking him about finally releasing the sources for the OggDS DirectShow filters. Jack told me he was glad he finally managed to get a reply from him, so i am not sure what i would call that if people still claim he is a 'Xiph developer' . Also, in the actual libogg there is no trace of OGM support, in whatever form. AFAIK Xiph people are working on a tool to transmux OGM into Theora compliant files. Monty may tell us if they have different plans. I also want to state here that Xiph's information policy about what Theora actually is and will be, has to be called 'poor' IMHO ( sorry Monty, but why did you lock development into the cellar ? ).

- 50% of our development time is currently invested into the crappy matroska DShow parser filter, struggling with the weired things M$ people have built into this framework to make developers life a pain.
If we wouldnt care about this ourselves, like Xiph people prefer to do it, we had all the ccurrently missing features already done, like menues, chapters, file attachements, flexible EDC/ECC for mode2 form2 burning, etc.
However, we know that a working and opensource DShow parser filter is the main key to get widespread support and usage from the fansubbers and DVD rippers, as most of the movies are played on Windows

- we were currently in the very lucky position that Gabest' the subtitles god, became interested in matroska and started cooperating with us to get perfect subtitles support in matroska. He also made a DirectShow muxer filter, allowing people to mux all kinds of formats into matroska files.

- matroska is getting good response from the video world because there is an excellent editor tool for it in VirtualdubMod for Windows ( works nice on wine BTW )

- we can mux AAC audio already into matroska files, and we have AAC SBR in preparation, with support from the Ahead people ( Nero ). For playback the Corecodec people made a DirectShow filter called CoreAAC, the first of its kind to support AAC 5.1 playback

@ Monty : its nice seeing you replying to a thread like this, a couple of months ago you wouldnt have bothered. Yes, we left 'vapourware status' on May 1st, and since then the list of new added features grew dramatically, thanks to a well written libmatroska and good docs on how to use it.

Lets stay fair to each other, i guess we always were in the past ( you are NOT Emmett :) ), and i loved to keep things like that. However, feel free to 'amuse yourself to smack our "fanboys" if they get out of hand', telling untrue things about OGG ;) .....
borh
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting to regret my post about ogg/ogm as it seems I didn't have all the right info. It was not my intention to start any flame war between ogg and matroska :roll:. I made the ebuilds so I could play matroska files on my computer. In fact, I'm perfectly happy with ogm ( I have made personal backups of DVD's to ogg and I like it much better than avi).

But still, thanks to the rapid progress I have seen with matroska, I now personally prefer it to any other container format. It helps that I'm also an anime fan and have recently heard alot about matroska from groups I like. As in many things Open Source, the project most actively developed is most interesting to many people.

So *please*, lets refrain from any more bad talk about ogg and stay on topic. The title is "Matroska mplayer-cvs support". I'd like to hear if anybody has tried the ebuilds yet!
robUx4
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Matroska: Not good for general-purpose, I think. Reply with quote

Hello, I'm one of the persons who built the matroska format (spec and code). I know this is not the place for such a public debate, but since someone started "comparing" apples and potatoes here in public, I feel that some truth is worth here.

rvalles wrote:
I've learned that Matroska is designed for editing, and really bad for streaming or anything else.

Who is this person who tell lies about matroska ? It's not REALLY BAD for streaming, it's just not designed for it, as much as OGG is not designed for video. It is definitely possible to stream matroska and you can be sure we will make this happen. Broadcasting matroska (as well as MPEG is broadcasted) was one of our major goal when designing the format.

BTW, why did you feel like posting some comments like this on a Gentoo related forum ? You don't want matroska to be supported by anyone you fancy ? Why ? This is really ridiculous in the open source world.

rvalles wrote:
Why? It does rely on having always one frame per page, this way it's easier to cut/edit a Matroska file, but on the other hand, it makes it hard to parse (particulary, it produces memory hogs because of some frames being very hug, therefore increases cpu requirements while demuxing, too) and hard to stream, for the same reason.

No that's OGG that is producing memory hugs ! <- this sentence is as ridiculous as what you just said.

rvalles wrote:
This is a stopper for playing them in embended devices. It would make it hard to be implemented for those resource-limited play-it-all divx+xvid+ogg+vorbis+mp3+dvd consumer products.

Again, some more bullshit. It seems you have no clue of what you're talking about. A video/audio frame of 10000 bytes will always take 10000+ bytes in memory wether it's split in many small pages (OGG) or 1 Block (matroska).

rvalles wrote:
I would recommend using ogg instead, that does everything Matroska does despite the one frame/page thing that it's only annoying unless those corner-cases, and it's a currently established format, and a free one.

Your art of confusion is somehow good. The official OGG specs has NOTHING specified to put video. The only extension that allows this (OGM) is closed source and not documented (how don't know how free it's called). So you really recommend using this close source format ? or the audio version that does not do video... for video use ?

rvalles wrote:
It does have a very small overhead (unlike AVI), good support for variable bitrate codecs, and ultrafast seeking, and comes from the people at xiph.org, the ones who made ogg-vorbis and are developing a new video codec, too. (http://www.theora.org)

Hmmm, and then some people call Christian an advertiser ! Matroska can do all that (better, but that' not meant to be argued here) and much more. One day the people at Xiph should admit they didn't have video in mind when designing OGG. It's clear when you read the Theora devel mailing list. But they still want to run against the wall...

Good luck.
robUx4
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Sorry, wrong. Got any *true* supporting points? Reply with quote

xiphmont wrote:
In summary, What Mastroska is that Ogg is not is a nonlinear format; if you insist on reinventing all the wheels we've made available to you, fine. However, I continue to get the impression that the main drive behind Mastroska is that the developers being pulled into it are simply getting duped: "We're making this because Ogg can't do it." Sorry dude, you're reimplementing a pile of features Ogg provides quite well. Do you actually know why, or is it just 'cool'?

Monty, you know I respect (if you don't, now you do) (more than I respect Emmett). But you're all wrong here. My goal with matroska has never been to reinvent the wheel ! It's just to assembles wheels, engines and other parts to make something good. I never had a single look at the OGG specs until I finished the matroska one. And when I did (then) I was happy with what I did ! I won't go in details because it's not the right place... But your attitude of "we do all", "you need only what we give you" is puerile, and exactly the kind of thing you would not expect from a non-profit organisation seeking for money, dealing with open source/patent-free softwares ! IMO you're only arming yourself and your supporters by doing that.
rvalles
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Matroska: Not good for general-purpose, I think. Reply with quote

robUx4 wrote:
Hello, I'm one of the persons who built the matroska format (spec and code). I know this is not the place for such a public debate, but since someone started "comparing" apples and potatoes here in public, I feel that some truth is worth here.

rvalles wrote:
I've learned that Matroska is designed for editing, and really bad for streaming or anything else.

Who is this person who tell lies about matroska ? It's not REALLY BAD for streaming, it's just not designed for it, as much as OGG is not designed for video. It is definitely possible to stream matroska and you can be sure we will make this happen. Broadcasting matroska (as well as MPEG is broadcasted) was one of our major goal when designing the format.

BTW, why did you feel like posting some comments like this on a Gentoo related forum ? You don't want matroska to be supported by anyone you fancy ? Why ? This is really ridiculous in the open source world.

rvalles wrote:
Why? It does rely on having always one frame per page, this way it's easier to cut/edit a Matroska file, but on the other hand, it makes it hard to parse (particulary, it produces memory hogs because of some frames being very hug, therefore increases cpu requirements while demuxing, too) and hard to stream, for the same reason.

No that's OGG that is producing memory hugs ! <- this sentence is as ridiculous as what you just said.

rvalles wrote:

Again, some more bullshit. It seems you have no clue of what you're talking about. A video/audio frame of 10000 bytes will always take 10000+ bytes in memory wether it's split in many small pages (OGG) or 1 Block (matroska).

rvalles wrote:
I would recommend using ogg instead, that does everything Matroska does despite the one frame/page thing that it's only annoying unless those corner-cases, and it's a currently established format, and a free one.

Your art of confusion is somehow good. The official OGG specs has NOTHING specified to put video. The only extension that allows this (OGM) is closed source and not documented (how don't know how free it's called). So you really recommend using this close source format ? or the audio version that does not do video... for video use ?

rvalles wrote:
It does have a very small overhead (unlike AVI), good support for variable bitrate codecs, and ultrafast seeking, and comes from the people at xiph.org, the ones who made ogg-vorbis and are developing a new video codec, too. (http://www.theora.org)

Hmmm, and then some people call Christian an advertiser ! Matroska can do all that (better, but that' not meant to be argued here) and much more. One day the people at Xiph should admit they didn't have video in mind when designing OGG. It's clear when you read the Theora devel mailing list. But they still want to run against the wall...

Good luck.

About why did I wrote the first reply in the thread, I thought it was appropiate to clear some misconceptions the original poster had, regarding Matroska being apropiate as a general-purpose container. I do like the idea of a non-linear format, and I do like the idea of the ebuilds (I'm probably going to try them, through). By the way, Ogg is spelled this way, not OGG or anything else.

Everything you quoted from me here was told to me by ChristianHJW, who seems to be from Matroska, and to be far more documented than me. On the other hand, I don't know where did you got the whole "not designed with video in mind" idea, I think that xiphmont, the man who designed Ogg in the first place, was very clear on his post about that. Another misconception you have is about OGM being closed; It is not, and xiphmont was clean about that, too.
rillian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 3:20 pm    Post subject: theora roadmap Reply with quote

Christian, thanks for at least posting in the rational direction. Nonsense like what robUx4 added about Ogg isn't exactly inspiring.

ChristianHJW wrote:
Quote:
I also want to state here that Xiph's information policy about what Theora actually is and will be, has to be called 'poor' IMHO ( sorry Monty, but why did you lock development into the cellar ? ).

Yeah, we're trying to do better documenting the state and intent. There's a wiki now which seems to be working better than the periodic restatements on the lists, which is what we've traditionally done to supplement the actual code that's been written. See http://wiki.xiph.org/TheoraTodo for the current plan.

You do have a point about support for Quicktime and whatever native windows thing people are using. That's a separate issue from developing the codec itself, and we've sadly not had much luck attracting competent people to add that kind of support.
ChristianHJW
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Matroska: Not good for general-purpose, I think. Reply with quote

rvalles wrote:
[About why did I wrote the first reply in the thread, I thought it was appropiate to clear some misconceptions the original poster had, regarding Matroska being apropiate as a general-purpose container.

... whether you like it or not my friend, matroska is here and IT IS an appropriate general-purpose container ;) ....

Quote:
Everything you quoted from me here was told to me by ChristianHJW, who seems to be from Matroska, and to be far more documented than me.

.. i did certainly not tell you that matroska is really bad for streaming, i said it wasnt designed for this purpose with highest priority.

Quote:
On the other hand, I don't know where did you got the whole "not designed with video in mind" idea, I think that xiphmont, the man who designed Ogg in the first place, was very clear on his post about that.

Because we talk a lot with very knowledgeable people from the video encoding scene, who compare our approach and Ogg's. That having said, they dont really say matroska is the perfect solution, we had to face a lot of criticism for some things we did but they definitely like it more than Ogg, at least for video editing/storage.

Quote:
Another misconception you have is about OGM being closed; It is not, and xiphmont was clean about that, too.

... so then, can you point me to the open codes for OGM creation and parsing/playing ( BTW, i know where they are, and their authors are members of the matroska dev team menahwile ) ?
Pamel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChristianHJW wrote:
Image subs are already functional in our Windows based tools, but we are not there on Linux yet, thats why we dont release that yet.

I hate doing this, but that isn't accurate. While image subs could theoretically be easily muxed into Matroska through the DirectShow Muxer, there is not currently a tool that can feed these images to the muxer. There is also not a tool to be able to display them if they were muxed in. And finally, We have not yet finalized what initialization data (if any) to use for image streams.

On another topic, I have never received the impression that Ogg was designed for video from the start. I asked Mosu (mplayer) and Cyrius (OggMux/VDMod) about the Theora implementation, and it really just seems like a hack. Although I should point out that it is an effective hack (like b-frames in AVI).

Lastly, I do not understand the distinction that is being made between linear and non-linear containers. Matroska will most likely implement menus and scripts by storing the data in a stream (Track). I see no reason why Ogg could not do the same thing. The thing that Matroska really differenciates itself from Ogg is its general purpose nature. It was designed from the ground up to be extensible so that it could hold almost anything in a proper, 'elegant' way.
xiphmont
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robUx4 wrote:
[

Monty, you know I respect (if you don't, now you do) (more than I respect Emmett). But you're all wrong here. My goal with matroska has never been to reinvent the wheel ! It's just to assembles wheels, engines and other parts to make something good. I never had a single look at the OGG specs until I finished the matroska one.

The 'you' in that rant was against the fanboys that are basing much of their support of Mastroska on misinformation about Ogg. That flame wasn't levelled at the original Mastroska designers, whom I suppose have a better understanding. And yes, Xiph has fanboys who are just as bad.

(and before *that* gets out of hand, I'm not calling rvalles a clueless fanboy either; he spent several days asking questions before he posted his original reply).

That said, there's another semantic problem running around in this thread: conflation of spec and implementation. Both Ogg and Mastroska are somewhat incomplete and the spec that exists on paper is not fully or perfectly reflected in existing software. I suspect this is the source of much of the anti-Ogg propaganda. One sees that OggFile is not complete, and thus supposes mixed media in Ogg is just a hack. Mastroska is obviously suffering from the same problem (eg, current software eats alot of memory, thus the spec is inefficient. This does not logically follow).

Now, I do disagree with significant aspects of the Mastroska approach, but that's an issue of choosing differing engineering strategy.

Monty
xiphmont
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pamel wrote:

On another topic, I have never received the impression that Ogg was designed for video from the start. I asked Mosu (mplayer) and Cyrius (OggMux/VDMod) about the Theora implementation, and it really just seems like a hack. Although I should point out that it is an effective hack (like b-frames in AVI).

Lastly, I do not understand the distinction that is being made between linear and non-linear containers. Matroska will most likely implement menus and scripts by storing the data in a stream (Track). I see no reason why Ogg could not do the same thing. The thing that Matroska really differenciates itself from Ogg is its general purpose nature. It was designed from the ground up to be extensible so that it could hold almost anything in a proper, 'elegant' way.

Sigh. Yes, the current implementation of Theora is a hack; that's what first alpha means. That has nothing to do with the spec. That first alpha release was nothing more than a contract deliverable/proof of concept. Look in the README for that source release and you'll see "DO NOT DEPLOY THIS CODE, WE REALLY MEAN IT!" written all over it. I argued against any release that immature exactly because the kiddies would immediately run out, try to build it into everything, see how suckful that code was, and it would damage Ogg's reputation. I was exactly right.

Linear means "complete construction/playback without having to buffer significant portions of the stream, or seeking in strictly chronological time-order". Menus encapsulate concepts that may involve non-chronological movement through the stream (eg, "back one chapter") and thus, are non-linear.

One can build a nonlinear system out of linear components. The other way around is not impossible, but it is harder (see: Quicktime).

Monty
Pamel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

borh wrote:
So *please*, lets refrain from any more bad talk about ogg and stay on topic. The title is "Matroska mplayer-cvs support". I'd like to hear if anybody has tried the ebuilds yet!

If you will pardon me for a moment. Cyrius, developer of OGMuxer and VirtualDubMod, would like to put up a request for information, but he is to lazy to register for one post, and would like me to post for him.

<Cyrius> so if you could quote rvalles's "Another misconception you have is about OGM being closed; It is not, and xiphmont was clean about that, too."
<Cyrius> point to Tobias's specs on http://tobias.everwicked.com/packfmt.htm
<Cyrius> quote tobias's sentence "I know that this is still very incomplete. I will try to add more information in the next days."
<Cyrius> and ask xiphmont the full OGM specs and sources of the tools by my name
<Cyrius> (telling I won't register on the forum for this one post)
<Cyrius> would be great :)
<Cyrius> my email : suiryc AT yahoo DOT com
<Cyrius> or he can post the specs in the thread as well
<Mosu> pretty sane comments from monty
<Cyrius> Pamel : if you do so, use a nice ton ;)
<Cyrius> it's from my part
<Cyrius> I really want the specs
robUx4
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xiphmont wrote:
The 'you' in that rant was against the fanboys that are basing much of their support of Mastroska on misinformation about Ogg. That flame wasn't levelled at the original Mastroska designers, whom I suppose have a better understanding. And yes, Xiph has fanboys who are just as bad.

I agree with all you said, except this. Fansubbers are not misinformed. They just use the tools that they find. From the start (of matroska) we knew subtitles would be an important feature of matroska as it's not really part of AVI (which our original goal was to replace with something more modern). That said, when they found OGM they were really happy to be able to put subs in their videos. But the international support is very bad. Then we arrived with tools that do the same as OGM (except chapters, so far) but with much more support for subs format. We actually address some problems of OGM noone ever dared to fix ! (idem for the Vorbis filter we had to recreate)

Just check this page of real case problem + solution.

edit: BTW you say it's a misinformation about OGG. No it's all about OGM, OGM is made out of OGG, but the opposite is not true. AFAIK there is no tool that writes video (except maybe your internal alpha with Theora) in OGG, not being OGM. So if you keep on making that confusion, don't be surprised if people consider the bad parts of OGM as the bad parts of OGG.
smokeslikeapoet
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did I miss this discussion before now? robUx4, xiphmont, ChristianHJW, Is there any forum you guys don't frequent? I started using Gentoo about 6 months ago, in case you're wondering where I've been.

It's good to see the healthy discussion goes on. IMHO, Xiph ignored feature requests from Windows users like me. (Used to be, anyway). And generally ignored the whole user population when it came to 6 channel ogg vorbis development. Mastroka development , however, has continued to be open to discussion for developers and users. With all due respect, Xiphmont and Emmett don't want to be bothered with the little questions from people like me, so I've generally lost all intrest in the Xiph projects, although the vorbis codec does have its strenghths, and 2 channel ogg + vorbis combo is great for streaming.

I can't wait to try out Mastroka for Mplayer. Hopefully now I'll have a multimedia container I can live with.

Folding@Home
spyder482
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, first, let me say that I hate forum fights such as this. I don't really like posting to such discussions but I feel that there is a lot of misinformation here. I am one of the members of the original MCF team and now the Matroska team. I love this appearance that Xiph tries to give off. You say you are wanting freedom in the media world etc.. This is true as far as I can tell. I like Vorbis. I have used it since WAY before most people did. I use it because it is a good codec developed by incredible programmers and best of all, I can read to see how it works if I feel so inclined. The thing I see as funny(if not sad) about Xiph is that you make your organization out to be so great for the people yet you don't really listen much to them.

Also, I have personally experienced the gossip meetings on public IRC channels that would occur. Maybe this is different now. However, when I first joined MCF, I frequently visited #vorbis. I never thought much of some of the conversations there. But one occasion stands out in my mind. It was only shortly after I had joined MCF, someone came to #vorbis and asked about storing video in Ogg. The people in the channel at that time had a good time laughing and saying that OGM was NOT Ogg and never would be. They said there would be video in Ogg sometime but OGM would not be it. I still didn't think much of this. Obviously Xiph didn't care about video in Ogg at that point. Then someone mentions MCF to them(not me yet) and they all start the "reinventing the wheel" story. "Ogg can do all of that and more" etc. etc.. Yet they still take no action to let users communicate anything to them about the subject. No response was given when someone asked about a feature in Ogg. By this point I became active in public discussions and then I hear that Theora will change everything. Ogg was designed with video in mind! Wow! What great news. Anyway, I'm obviously busting at the seems with joy. :) It just strikes me funny that Ogg was designed with video in mind and you are wanting people to help implement it but little effort is made on the communication end.

I guess it could be bad handling/administration or whatever. This may have all been fixed by now. The major downfall that Ogg had from this is that people see Matroska as a format for them. They see Ogg as a format for them but designed for Xiph. I am not wanting to be yelled at or bombarded with :evil: . I just want to let you know why certain things have turned out the way they have. I like Matroska despite the "fact" that Ogg can do everything Matroska can. I say "fact" because though you say all of this there is no documented spec saying this. As the Xiph IRCers said to me many times during arguments that started as inquiries, you have to have something to show, otherwise you have nothing.

Xiph development always seems hidden to me. You just suddenly pop out a creation and then there is big news, chatter, etc. but then nothing, no news.... Anyway, I just wanted to say that. I really see now, as a friend on IRC just said, "seems open source has some progress to be made". Xiph gives the appearance that it is some corporation developing software for some use that we don't know of but then claiming on a front that it is for the OpenSource community and users. I know this is not the image Xiph is trying to convey. But it is happening. I hope you see the point in this meandering message.

Spyder

PS: Good to see you around SLAPoet ;)
smokeslikeapoet
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to install mplayer-cvs today, and I'm getting this error

Code:
 * Running  cvs -q -f -z3 -d ":pserver:anonymous:@cvs.ffmpeg.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/ffmpeg" login
Logging in to :pserver:anonymous@cvs.ffmpeg.sourceforge.net:2401/cvsroot/ffmpeg
cvs [login aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if any)

!!! ERROR: media-video/mplayer-cvs-0.91-r2 failed.
!!! Function cvs_fetch, Line 204, Exitcode 1
!!! cvs login command failed

Which, incidentally, is the same error I got when I tried to install the breakmygentoo mplayer-cvs ebuild a few weeks ago. Anyone know what's wrong?

Folding@Home
borh
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smokeslikeapoet: this is a problem with sourceforge cvs access. It happens with all ebuilds that use sourceforge cvs. Browsing sf.net seems to be alright, but when I ping www.sf.net I get packet loss. Just keep on trying (it might take as many as >20 tries to get through).
Nylan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting this error:

Code:

make[1]: *** [vf_pp.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/mplayer-cvs-0.91-r2/work/main/libmpcodecs'
make: *** [libmpcodecs/libmpcodecs.a] Error 2

!!! ERROR: media-video/mplayer-cvs-0.91-r2 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 217, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)

What's wrong? :?:
borh
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What's wrong?

Since this ebuild is using CVS, it doesn't always work (you're getting the latest developer version). Try again in a couple of hours or a day. You might also try to limit what mplayer compiles through the use of USE flags. Do an
Code:
 emerge -pv mplayer-cvs

and see if you really need all the features.
Belgabor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@borh: You mention in the build you have trouble making it work without wxWindows. Mosu (Moritz Bunkus) told me he checked and it should work without. He also told me he wont reg on yet another forum :)
So if you want to sort this out with him you can either contact him by mail or come to #matroska on irc.corecodec.com

Cheers
borh
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have uploaded a new mkvtoolnix ebuild which is a bit cleaner.
Belgabor:
There was never really any problem with wxGTK support (the problem was only how to turn it off if you already had wxGTK installed, but why would anybody not want it then...).

Another thing related to mkvtoolnix. Has anybody got mkvinfo working? I'm getting the following error: "Error: Could not set the locale 'en_US.UTF-8'. Make sure that your system supports this locale.". I tried it on another computer at home and I got the same error. I'm still working on the problem, although I'm not sure where to look.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: