Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
broschi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alphatronics wrote:
I downloaded the 3 floppy set from Slackware (single boot, two root), it gave the following when I started the first root disk:

RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
Kernel panic: Out of memory and no killable processes...

Looks like it needs more than 8M of RAM. I'll look around for a solution.

More ram, more ram, more ram... that's a worthless suggestion, Linux is better than that for christ sake!

Just copy the initrd from the cd and boot it by telling grub or lilo about it (initrd= in the latter case). Most kernels should do but the one from the cd or floppy will help.
WZot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

broschi wrote:
More ram, more ram, more ram... that's a worthless suggestion, Linux is better than that for christ sake!

Agree... But hey... 8MB aint much. If he want to have any usability of the system afterwards he need at least 12MB RAM (based on own experience). Have a look at my 486's system sysinfo at http://wzot.is-a-geek.com/ . It usually uses 7-12MB on my system.

And...If you ask around you should get a 4MB RAM chip for free! :)
broschi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed Slack 4 on a 386 sx16 w/ 4mb of RAM and a 120 mb hdd once. :) No, that's an experience! It ran mostly fine, took two seconds to load the man pages and other stuff but I didn't do much with it, I didn't even knew what a NIC was back then. I still have it as a matter of fact, could try something with it again, would be really funny. Wonder how much the bootstrap will last? :D
nerdbert
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naughtyus wrote:
I don't think the problem with newer distros is with their ability to run on the system, but on the installer itself. The installers are usually loaded into a RAMdisk, so if you don't have enough ram for the installer, you're SOL unless you can install on a different machine, and copy over.

in't it possible to circumvent gui installation for most distros?
hook
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nerdbert wrote:
Naughtyus wrote:
I don't think the problem with newer distros is with their ability to run on the system, but on the installer itself. The installers are usually loaded into a RAMdisk, so if you don't have enough ram for the installer, you're SOL unless you can install on a different machine, and copy over.

in't it possible to circumvent gui installation for most distros?

slackware has a ncurses "GUI" install, so it doesn't eat much at all ...never did try the "text" slackware install ...i heard it's not very nice :]

(deep inside i'm still a tux's little helper)
broschi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nerdbert wrote:
slackware has a ncurses "GUI" install, so it doesn't eat much at all ...never did try the "text" slackware install ...i heard it's not very nice :]

Slackware 8 only requires 6 floppies! ;) The installation procedure is not kiss at all if you can't boot cds.
nerdbert
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but this installation is in the context of late 80's/early 90's hardware... I think my SX25 came with 6 floppies with something called DOS on it and I didn't complain.
Ok, it just came with 3 floppies, but I bought Novell dos later on - this surely came on >= 6 floppies...
hook
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what are you saying ...including 7.x i was going on my 486 only with a bootdisk and two rootdisks, plus the cd :]

(deep inside i'm still a tux's little helper)
broschi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hook wrote:
what are you saying ...including 7.x i was going on my 486 only with a bootdisk and two rootdisks, plus the cd :]

Up to 8.0 that was true. I checked the Slack ftp server and until 8.0 it has that old DOS'ish look where filename stick to the 8.3 format (hhuuu). Say goodbye to slakware/ bootdsk.144 and hello to slackware/ and bootdisks/. :D But hey, it's Slackware Linux, it can be circumvented. :)

BTW, I can understand that a said software requires 6 or 12 floppies but with Slackware they don't get you anywhere, you still need the cd with all the packages.

BTW2 Wzot: your www site returns an invalid url.
jay
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nerdbert wrote:
I think my SX25 came with 6 floppies with something called DOS on it and I didn't complain

Hey, I once bought the game "Wing Commander 2" - this one was shipped on 20 (!) floppies. And I have Adobe Pagemaker on 11 disks lying around somewhere.
nailed
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a few years ago,i used a 386 with 8 MB of ram as a temporary solution (for 2 month between when my pair of 486 broke down and i got a Celery 300A),i installed debian 2.2 at the time (it took 12 hours to install) and it ran fine in text mode,could even download files at 150kbit/sec without any problem on cable.

Alain
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: