View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecce
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Release date on 2007.0? Reply with quote

Is there any specified release date on 2007.0? I never got around the problem with lack of support for JMicron controller in the 2006.1 version so I'm running Windows now on a C2D, and gettin greally anctious to get gentoo back in the game.
amne
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Release date on 2007.0? Reply with quote

ecce wrote:
Is there any specified release date on 2007.0?

Not that i am aware of yet.

ecce wrote:
I never got around the problem with lack of support for JMicron controller in the 2006.1 version so I'm running Windows now on a C2D, and gettin greally anctious to get gentoo back in the game.

What exactly is the problem with the controller?
geniux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not use the Live Cd discussed in this thread, made by kernelOfTruth. It has excellent support for JMicron
400GB + 250GB Samsung SATAII HDD
Gentoo - BeyondSources 2.6.19-20
ecce
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is simply the lack of support in the kernel used in the 2006.1 image.

geniux: I've been though all that, but last time I looked it required chrooting into a 32-bit environment and a lot of other stuff that I don't know about. After a while I gave it up.

What would be perfect is the 2006.1 image, unnaltered, except fot the kernel replacement. That would do it.
Monkeh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecce wrote:
The problem is simply the lack of support in the kernel used in the 2006.1 image.

geniux: I've been though all that, but last time I looked it required chrooting into a 32-bit environment and a lot of other stuff that I don't know about. After a while I gave it up.

What would be perfect is the 2006.1 image, unnaltered, except fot the kernel replacement. That would do it.

You can do that yourself. Compile a kernel with the required drivers built in on any machine, and place it on the CD. (don't forget to edit the isolinux config so you can boot it)
Paapaa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecce wrote:

I don't think it did and at least it doesn't now. Just burn the AMD64 CD and install Gentoo using it. That is what I did with my new C2D setup and all went fine.
the_gummibear
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda waiting for the 2007.0 aswel to re-install my laptop..

It's running xubuntu now, but I miss my Gentoo :(
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_gummibear wrote:

Why wait for an install cd?.. that's just silly.. Install now, and change profile when 2007.0 is released, same system.
madisonicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_gummibear wrote:

If you can run xubuntu, you can use it to do a manual installation of Gentoo... I'd link you the documentation, but www.gentoo.org is down for me at the moment. It's in the installation FAQ section.
Samsung x360
AMD64 x2 4200+ * TF7050-M2 * HTPC
ZOTAC ION A-U Mini-ITX * HTPC
ecce
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't think it did and at least it doesn't now. Just burn the AMD64 CD and install Gentoo using it. That is what I did with my new C2D setup and all went fine.

Hrm... everyone seems to think this is so easy, and I think it was a bit tricky. How do you chroot from 64-bit into a 32-bit environment?

Quote:
You can do that yourself. Compile a kernel with the required drivers built in on any machine, and place it on the CD. (don't forget to edit the isolinux config so you can boot it)

I've used gentoo for a while, but I think I need a little more detailed help than that to get though it. I download and extract the image, then what? Replace the kernel - yes simple, but what about all the modules compiled for the old kernel? Doesn't all of them has to be replaced as well? And what about ISOLINUX, I know very little about that (in fact nothing). When I burn the CD I'll have to point out the boot sector and stuff right?
ToeiRei
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my 2 cent on that topic:

You just need some system running (64 Bit in your case) - any LiveCD would do - or a 2nd hdd.

What do you need a LiveCD for?

* Partitioning the HDD
* Downloading a stagefile
* chroot

... then proceed according to the gentoo handbook (tm)

Rei
Paapaa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecce wrote:
Quote:

Hrm... everyone seems to think this is so easy, and I think it was a bit tricky. How do you chroot from 64-bit into a 32-bit environment?

Why do you need to chroot from 64 to 32? If you want a 64-bit system, use the AMD64 CD and if you want 32-bit, use the x86 CD:

http://www.kernel-of-truth.net/downloads_kOT.html

(Yes, I agree, those must be absolutely the worst www pages I've ever seen...just horrible... :cry: )
Lloeki
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(Yes, I agree, those must be absolutely the worst www pages I've ever seen...just horrible... :cry: )

that's because you're not using lynx/links ;)
ecce
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Yes... it really is. :D

It seems things have moved forward since I gave it a shot last time. I'll give it a go when I get home later today. Just a quick question (offtopic maybe): Is a 64-bit environment what you whant to use on C2D? I'm under the impression that at least for the AMD64 environment things doesn't work as smoothly as with the welltested 32bit plattform.

Last edited by ecce on Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These days things tend to work better on AMD64 than x86 from what i can tell.. you might have the odd codec or nsplugin glitch that you'll get a workaround for, but that's about it.
Paapaa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had no problems with AMD64 install with my C2D setup. Flash works, video files work etc.
Monkeh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecce wrote:
but what about all the modules compiled for the old kernel? Doesn't all of them has to be replaced as well?

No. You compile a kernel with all required drivers, and no modules are used at all.

Quote:
And what about ISOLINUX, I know very little about that (in fact nothing). When I burn the CD I'll have to point out the boot sector and stuff right?

You just run mkisofs. I can't remember the options I used, but any LiveCD creating guide will point you in the right direction..
madisonicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gentoo pages are up, so here's that link: Installing Gentoo from Knoppix.

Also the instructions on making/using a 32 bit chroot are better than they were even a year ago, if I remember correctly... or maybe I just understand thing better now? In any case, amd64 is perfectly valid these days for most things these days. There's a good FAQ in the AMD64 Forum that might answer some questions.

In any case... there's no reason at all why you have to run a 64-bit system. You can always just use the 32-bit installation method (i.e., the x86 handbook), choose an i686 CHOST and you box will be 32-bit. Use the same CFLAGS that you would use for 64-bit and you'll still get all the appropriate optimizations. In fact, unless you have a very rare 64-bit version of Windows, that's what you're doing now. :wink:

-m
Samsung x360
AMD64 x2 4200+ * TF7050-M2 * HTPC
ZOTAC ION A-U Mini-ITX * HTPC
Lloeki
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also the instructions on making/using a 32 bit chroot are better than they were even a year ago

not to be counted that it's useless for 99% of us, thanks to the progress of emul-linux-x86*packages. right now the sole problem I have with 64bit is twofold:
- no java nsplugin for firefox-64bit (blackdown doesn't count: it is unmaintained, and crashes ff anyway)
- absence of konqueror-nsplugins32 (palliated with a custom ebuild pulling some debian packages)
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the expected release release date of 2007.0, BUT, I do know it needs portage-2.1.2 to be stable. Portage-2.1.2 is going stable in the next week or so, therefore 2007.0 should be not long after that.
antarus
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dol-sen wrote:
I don't know the expected release release date of 2007.0, BUT, I do know it needs portage-2.1.2 to be stable. Portage-2.1.2 is going stable in the next week or so, therefore 2007.0 should be not long after that.

Releng told me snapshot date is feb 12th; so expect it 60-90 days after that.
Bloodsurfer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend the Sabayon Live CD/DVD for installing gentoo. --> www.sabayonlinux.org
Boot it up, enjoy your working Beryl environment, install gentoo right after the book.
SiberianSniper: or <name>.ko, so she's ready for insertion?
hunky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would recommend the Sabayon Live CD/DVD for installing gentoo. --> www.sabayonlinux.org
Boot it up, enjoy your working Beryl environment, install gentoo right after the book.

I've got a spanking new mb coming with Nvidia graphic card and Jmicron controller. (why I'm reading this thread). I've looked at sabayon and it looks like it might be a great way to get to working (instead of installing) quickly. But I'm used to using gentoo (no expert) so would like to continue on that path after trying sabayon - so I'm curious how you "install gentoo right after the book"? What does this mean? - how does one go about converting from sabayon back to the regular gentoo methods?

thanks, jD
Paapaa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hunky wrote:
Quote:

I've got a spanking new mb coming with Nvidia graphic card and Jmicron controller. (why I'm reading this thread). I've looked at sabayon and it looks like it might be a great way to get to working (instead of installing) quickly. But I'm used to using gentoo (no expert) so would like to continue on that path after trying sabayon - so I'm curious how you "install gentoo right after the book"? What does this mean? - how does one go about converting from sabayon back to the regular gentoo methods?

He meant that you can install The Real Gentoo (tm) using basically any Linux LiveCD out there.

Last edited by Paapaa on Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:41 am; edited 1 time in total
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hunky wrote:
What does this mean? - how does one go about converting from sabayon back to the regular gentoo methods?
One does not. Use a live CD or DVD to have a usable system until the installed system is in a suitable state. Refer to "The Gentoo Linux alternative installation method HOWTO" for information on installing Gentoo from within other distributions.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: