View previous topic :: View next topic  
deadstar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I FINALLY got it working....

The playlist is "playlist.lst" not "playlist.1st" :lol:

Anyway, a simple question:

My MP3's are sorted into subdirectories of the Band name and Album. How do I create such a playlist?

Secondly, whatever I set the bitrate too, it sounds like a set of broken laptop speakers. It's going across a gigabit LAN so not worried about bandwidth, whatever the fix.

Thanks in advance.

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
GoofballJM1
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deadstar wrote:
Anyway, a simple question:
My MP3's are sorted into subdirectories of the Band name and Album. How do I create such a playlist?

Do what I did. I have all my mp3's in my /home/myusername/ directory, under a folder called mp3. My music is sorted the same way as you.

Code:
# find /home/myusername/mp3/ -type f -name "*.mp3" > playlist.lst

It will look in all the sub-directories. All it is doing is spitting out the results of your search into a text file. In this case the wildcard * is your friend. Good luck :lol:

This is a great Howto BTW, been running my gentoo shoutcast server for several months without a hitch. Only complaint is on my P3 500 it runs on, the transcoder uses about 40% of my CPU when its running. But much better than I had it on a windows 2000 server for the previous 2 years. I had all sorts of problems, and had to reboot the thing constantly.
BaseBoy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

I have everything running but after a few ours the sc_trans_linux is killed automatically.
How can I solve that problem so the server is always up. With a script ore something.

Greets BaseBoy
starachna
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject: hi Reply with quote

hallo everyone, thanks for the great how to texas1emt!

i have followed the howto and it does play mp3 streams but the music is way too fast?
my input sample rate that i ripped the mp3 with is this:

InputSamplerate=11025

and the bitrate is 32kps

i have tried various settings, which i thought made sense to me, but nothing changes, maby it plays it faster or a little slower, but it's still VERY fast hehe
if someone can help me out i'd really appreaciate it :)

thanks a mil!
ciao/riaan
starachna
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: @BaseBoy Reply with quote

@BaseBoy

check your logfiles for errors, but you can try and use

app-admin/monit
Psih
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone :)
Setting up shoutcast was easy (I even haven't read any mans or howto's - it's just too simple), but I have another relaited question.
My Radio will have Live broadcasts with DJ's, but for the night ofcource no one will be live on radio, so I have quite an interesting question:
Is it possible to keep music on the server and play it from playlist AND WHEN A Dj want's to connect the Shoutcast server, the transcoder stops and shoutcast server streams the Dj provided (from a remote PC) stream. When Dj disconnects, transcoder automaticaly start's to play playlist.
Need this realy a lot.. :roll: :!:
GoofballJM1
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is. In fact the easy way you can do this is using the Winamp Shoutcast DSP plugin for windows to stream live. All you would have to do is have the password for the stream and turn off the MP3 stream from the server when broadcasting live. I have done this for radio broadcasts at my station numerous times.
Dharius
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Pb with my playlis when i use "killall -USR1 sc_trans_l Reply with quote

Hi !

I've one pb... I think that sc_trans do not use my .conf file (but i check & there is only one), so

- to start, i need to do "/etc/sc_trans/sc_trans_linux /etc/sc_trans/sc_trans.conf"; just "/etc/sc_trans/sc_trans_linux" doensn't works
- when i'm doing "killall -USR1 sc_trans_linux" it doesn' works

-> it's the same problem : it seems to don't find the .conf because it said that there is nothing in the playlist...

What is the pb ??
sleepingsun
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot i dont have problems working perfect thanks for this briliant guide !
Tim2k
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to run shoutcast as root, so what do i have to do when i want to start shoutcast and shoutcast_trans-startscript as a normal user @ system-startup? :)
mno
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a hunch:

In the logs, I get messages that say:

Code:
<09/25/07@18:41:01> [CONFIG] WARNING: No InputSamplerate defined, assuming 44100!
<09/25/07@18:41:01> [CONFIG] WARNING: No InputChannels defined, assuming 2!

Each instance of shoutcast_trans can only recode from 1 samplerate (that of the song) to 1 samplerate (that of the server). If you have songs from diff samplerates, you can probably start different sc_trans servers running off different config files, and adding the parameters InputSamplerate and InputChannels into the config file for each server. The output for all sc_trans instances would have to be that of the sc_serv. Of course, this would mean that you'd need to manually start them, not using the init.d script.

But still :)
mno
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick question,

Would anyone know what would lead me to get this error message:

Code:
<09/25/07@18:54:06> [MAIN] Title Update Failed

Thanks!
trossachs
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to have 'virtual servers' working under Shoutcast as I do with Apache?
Bio
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim2k wrote:
I don't want to run shoutcast as root, so what do i have to do when i want to start shoutcast and shoutcast_trans-startscript as a normal user @ system-startup? :)

You need to create a dedicated user, say shoutcast per example, myself i also created a shoutcast group.

Code:
useradd -d /dev/null -s /bin/false -c "Shoutcast daemon user" shoutcast

Then you need to change the shoutcast's files permissions so this user and/or group can read them. I chose to keep root as the owner of the files.

Code:
chown -R root:shoutcast /opt/shoutcast/*
chown -R root:shoutcast /etc/shoutcast/*

Make sure only root has write permission and that the shoutcast group can read and execute the binary files, and read the config files (chmod)

The you need to modify your init scripts, both /etc/init.d/shoutcast and /etc/init.d/shoutcast_trans. In the start section of the scripts modify the start-stop-daemon line and add the followin option "-c shoutcast". So the daemon is run with your user.

Code:
start() {
        checkconfig || return 1

ebegin "Starting Shoutcast Server"
        start-stop-daemon --start -c shoutcast --quiet --exec /opt/shoutcast/sc_serv /etc/shoutcast/sc_serv.conf &
        eend $?
}

Then if you enabled shoutcast's loging make sure your shoutcast user can write to your log files. Also if you rotate your logs make sure the newly created logs have the same permissions (see logrotate configuration). The same applies if you defined a BanFile and a Reserved IP List files in your sc_serv.conf file make sure those 2 files are writable to your user.

Finally for your shoutcast server to be able to play some music you need to be sure that your shoutcast user can read your mp3 files. So check your permissions, if needed tweak your groups.

Then you should be able to run shoutcast as an unprivileged user.

Code:
ps -ef | grep sc

root     29362     1  0 12:56 pts/4    00:00:00 /bin/bash /sbin/runscript.sh /etc/init.d/shoutcast start
1010     29365 29362  0 12:56 pts/4    00:00:00 /opt/shoutcast/sc_serv /etc/shoutcast/sc_serv.conf
root     29376     1  0 12:56 pts/4    00:00:00 /bin/bash /sbin/runscript.sh /etc/init.d/shoutcast_trans start
1010     29380 29376 11 12:56 pts/4    00:01:12 /opt/shoutcast/sc_trans_linux /etc/shoutcast/sc_trans.conf

*1010 is tue UID of my shoutcast user
ama
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: shoutcast Reply with quote

I'm trying to broadcast with southcast from the soundcard but no sound comes out. It works if I use a mp3 file as the source. Any Idea why that is?

here is my transcode playlist code:

DSP:/dev/dsp
NeoSK
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heya, I have one question
I did notice that when using shoutcast transcode, even on 128kbit it cuts off high frequencies resulting in a little "dimmer" sound output, which I personally dislike. Is there any alternative to shoutcast transcoder? (I mean ... it's a standalone program, an alternative should be able to feed the server with anything, just maybe different processing?).

Also, are there maybe other live stream alternatives to shoutcast?
audiodef
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: [HOWTO] Shoutcast Streaming Server Guide Reply with quote

texas1emt wrote:

Let's edit its config file as well:

Code:
# nano -w /etc/shoutcast/sc_trans.conf

# Change the playlist line to look like this
Remember -> PlaylistFile=/opt/shoutcast/playlists/playlist.lst

What's this for? I just installed Shoutcast and doing it this way fails. I have to use the originally intended format in the default conf file.
Discord: https://discord.gg/73XV24dNPN
srroom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:35 pm    Post subject: Hi Reply with quote

This is a great SHOUTcast streaming server guide. However, could you be interested in posting an up to date guide? This post dates back from 2005 and I am sure there are a lot of people interested in learning how to set up their streaming servers right now. Thanks!
hujuice
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We must be grateful to texas1emt, who wrote this guide in the far 2005.
Anyway, Gentoo has now an official guide about: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/shoutcast-config.xml

The guide is relative the the version 1.9.8 of SHOUTcast, the last available in portage.
SHOUTcast 1.9.8 is a great software (I bother saying it, it is CLOSED source).
The whole universe of music internet streaming was born from there.
It is a very rude software, but it is... rock! 8)

NullSoft has released a new version (2), not yet in portage.
Reading about (never tried it), it should be not so different in management.

So, for people wanting to learn about, starting from the portage version is a good idea.
Then you can easily step to the version 2.

Regards,
HUjuice
getmepaid
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: shoutcast Reply with quote

Anyone got a solution for this?

I am having trouble getting it to work and can't find answers on internet

ama wrote:
I'm trying to broadcast with southcast from the soundcard but no sound comes out. It works if I use a mp3 file as the source. Any Idea why that is?

here is my transcode playlist code:

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: