Vaio 505 boot freeze problem
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fitj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 11:58 am    Post subject: Vaio 505 boot freeze problem Reply with quote

I've been trying to get Gentoo 1.4rc4 on my vaio r505gc, but one problem keeps slowing me down. When I try a cold boot in the morning, it invariably locks up during the load, usually at either "setting hardware clock to local time" or "configuring kernel parameters" (one right after another). Sometimes it gets stuck at saying it can't check the reiserfs logs with the drive mounted read only. The only thing I can then do is a manual reset, which then repeats the problem. The annoying/funny thing is, if I boot from the rc4 install cd (btw - this works great, everyone seems to complain about the boot cd on 505's), fly through the install instructions, skipping the compile stuff, just mounting drives, chroot-ing and rebooting, the system boots into gentoo real easy, no problems whatsoever, and will continue to do so all day long (did like 6 reboots in an hour, no problem). Once I turn it off and come back later, it won't boot again. I know my kernel is kind of bloated cause I did everything built in, no modules yet, but since it will reboot consistently once booted, I don't think it is the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Fuzeron
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my VAIO laptop was also having problems on boot up, i picked both APM and ACPI. This caused it to lock up at various points durring the boot up.

Im not sure what you picked in ur kernel, might want to check it over and start trimming back what u dont need, or what could be causing problems.
fitj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, I have the apm options turned off in the kernel and all the acpi on. I left the acpi built in though.
fitj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I fixed it. made a bunch of the options as modules and experimented on what was freezing the system.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: