unable to use "emerge -vG <app>" for ps3
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sangweb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: unable to use "emerge -vG <app>" for ps3 Reply with quote

For some reason I cannot install apps using -G flags. I've followed the instructions at http://ps3wiki.qj.net/index.php/Gentoo_-_The_next_step. I can only get it to work without the -G, any idea? Thanks.
asong26
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not the latest and the greatest official install guide. You'll need to update your portage application, as there is a bug in the current version.

Depending on which userland you're using, you'll need to add an entry into /etc/portage/package.keywords file:

sys-apps/portage ~ppc <---------- 32bit userland
sys-apps/portage ~ppc64 <-------- 64bit userland

then do: emerge -v portage.

After the latest masked version of portage in installed, and assuming the URL for the GRP packages are set correctly in your /etc/make.conf file, everything should work fine after that.

Goodluck.
sangweb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Emerge -G Reply with quote

So according to your info, I should add
sys-apps/portage ~ppc64
to my package.keyword right? I think my userland (what ever it meant) is ppc64. This is my first Gentoo and very newbie in Linux. Thanks.

Do you know a better install guide than the one posted?

Thanx.

-------------------------------

asong26 wrote:
That's not the latest and the greatest official install guide. You'll need to update your portage application, as there is a bug in the current version.

Depending on which userland you're using, you'll need to add an entry into /etc/portage/package.keywords file:

sys-apps/portage ~ppc <---------- 32bit userland
sys-apps/portage ~ppc64 <-------- 64bit userland

then do: emerge -v portage.

After the latest masked version of portage in installed, and assuming the URL for the GRP packages are set correctly in your /etc/make.conf file, everything should work fine after that.

Goodluck.
asong26
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use this:

http://overlays.gentoo.org/proj/cell/wiki/InstallGentooOnPS3

I think this is the official one from rangerb here on this forum if I am not mistaken. He's the miracle worker that's responsible for assembling our official stage4 tarballs, not to mention all of the great GRP packages that we get to enjoy, saving us days of compilation time. Follow those direction. Towards the end, you'll see a note regarding the current bug with the portage app.

If you are using 64bit userland (stage4-ppc64-ps3_64ul.tar.bz2), then yes, you will need to add the flag '~ppc64'

NOTE: The install instructions above defaults to 32bit userland example. Just make the changes where appropriate.
sangweb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:13 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

asong26 wrote:
I use this:

http://overlays.gentoo.org/proj/cell/wiki/InstallGentooOnPS3

I think this is the official one from rangerb here on this forum if I am not mistaken. He's the miracle worker that's responsible for assembling our official stage4 tarballs, not to mention all of the great GRP packages that we get to enjoy, saving us days of compilation time. Follow those direction. Towards the end, you'll see a note regarding the current bug with the portage app.

If you are using 64bit userland (stage4-ppc64-ps3_64ul.tar.bz2), then yes, you will need to add the flag '~ppc64'

NOTE: The install instructions above defaults to 32bit userland example. Just make the changes where appropriate.

Thank-you for all your help, I got it working followed your instructions. BTW, I found out that my was 32bit userland.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: