font display is not smooth, very jagged looking
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sangweb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:11 am    Post subject: font display is not smooth, very jagged looking Reply with quote

My images on kde desktop looks fine but the font display is very jagged looking, especially when browsing the web. I am running PS3 with my Sony LCD on 720p (60hz). Is there a way to ajust the font display? Thanks.
M1Sports20
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just wondering are you using truetype fonts. Was X and other applications compiled with it
sangweb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: I am not sure Reply with quote

M1Sports20 wrote:
I am just wondering are you using truetype fonts. Was X and other applications compiled with it

This is my first Linux desktop (KDE) so I am not sure what you are asking me, I did installed gnome but haven't boot that up yet. I'll boot that up tonight to see if there is any improvment from KDE. I am also having sound problem with KDE, I am not sure if it's the desktop or the driver issue.
asong26
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First,

Go into your Control Center, and adjust click on anti-aliasing on the fonts. I don't remember exactly how to get there, but this screen comes up during the initial setup of KDE when you first log on right after the install.

I basically set everything to max, except for the large icons, which I disabled.

Then launch firefox, and under preference, click on contents. Here, you can change your fonts. I get great results wiht sans serif.

You might consider changing the system fonts to san serif as well. It works pretty well.

But the WM that looks the best in my opinion is XFCE. Every text, graphics are just so clear and smooth. Not to mention better performance. I have everything installed (KDE, GNOME, fluxbox and XFCE). I just use XFCE and access KDE and GNOME apps from XFCE. It really works out nice this way with less memory requirements. You can even feel the difference as how the mouse cursor moves around. On XFCE, it super smooth, just like my Windows PC.
sangweb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Thanx Reply with quote

I'll installed XFCE tonight and I'll let you know what the result is. I didn't know you can run KDE and Gnome apps from XFCE, I can't wait to play around with it...
dhave
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used some of these suggestions with good results.

Also, if you go with XFCE, try:

Settings / User Interface Preferences / Font Rendering / Use sub-pixel hinting: Vertical RGB

Also see that anti-aliasing and full hinting are checked.

A good interface font in XFCE is DejaVu SansCondensed, 12.
---------------
sangweb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: font jagged Reply with quote

Ok, I have installed Gnome and XFCE and they both looks better than KDE but still not as smooth comparing to Windows, may be it's just the hardware. I think I'll try to install Fedora to see any improvement. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: