Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Howto: Jmicron controller(P-ATA and SATA).
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snoozz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Howto: Jmicron controller(P-ATA and SATA). Reply with quote

Since I've spent several hours figuring out this “damn” controller and which sources work flawless on it (thereby spending a lot of time on these forums, I might add :p), I thought: “Let's make a 'guide' for the people that are new or those who didn't figure it out yet.

The specs of my set-up:
Intel Core 2 Duo Conroe E6600@3ghz
G.Skill F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ, 2048 MB, DDR2, PC6400, 800 MHz, 2 x
Asus p5b deluxe
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10, 320 GB, 7200 rpm, 16 MB, Serial ATA300 (connected to the ICH8R controller, NOT the Jmicron sata port)
BENQ DVD DC DW1670 (revision: 103). (connected to the Jmicron P-ATA bus)

What did I do in the bios?

Jmicron controller: AHCI
Normal Sata (ICH8R) also AHCI

Which livecd did I use?
Small gentoo live cd
You can find it here.

Which sources did(do) I use

Right now, I'm very happy about the latest morph sources (morph10), you can find them here.

But I think that all sources from 2.6.19 work fine :). You can find a thread with other working sources here

What did I compile in the kernel

I'm only going to give the options to get the jmicron controller working, the rest of the options are up to you (you can always pm me if you have a specific question.

Code:

ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support --> fully disabled

SCSI device support  --->
  <*> SCSI disk support                                                                                                                                                     
  <*> SCSI CDROM support                                                                                     
      [ ]   Enable vendor-specific extensions (for SCSI CDROM) (I didn't enable this, but this shouldn't be an issue. You could enable it and maybe get even better results, let me know if you have better results with this on :))                                                   
  <*> SCSI generic support                                                                                   
  <*> SCSI media changer support                                                                                         
  [*] Probe all LUNs on each SCSI device

Serial ATA (prod) and Parallel ATA (experimental) drivers  --->
  <*> ATA device support
     <*>   AHCI SATA support
     <*>   Intel PIIX/ICH SATA support
     <*>   JMicron PATA support

If you (like me) encounter problems with burnings cd's, make sure you have the RIGHT ide cable for your cdrom drive.
This means you'll have to get a 80lines IDE cable if you don't got one (Normally you'll only have to do this if you encounter problems/error with burning, but I would advice to get one anyway :)).

So, that's all there was to it :p. I don't know if this will help anybody or if this is really necessary, but I justed wanted to help out the community that helped me a MILLION times :).

If anybody has anything to add, feel free to do so :). I hope I didn't forgot anything!

Grtz
Yannick Wellens

Last edited by Snoozz on Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
Clapper
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you elaborate on this part, a bit:

Quote:
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10, 320 GB, 7200 rpm, 16 MB, Serial ATA300 (connected to the ICH8R controller, NOT the Jmicron sata port)

What is the difference between the ICH8R and the Jmicron ports?

Great stuff! I am awaiting my GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel motherboard from Newegg. These appear to be pretty popular, at least in overclocking circles.

My hope is to have a fast Raptor drive for operating system and programs, and two 750GB drives kernel mirrored in Raid1.

Is this the right route? I've read conflicting statements on whether this has "real" hardware raid. I'm assuming not, and am thinking of doing the mirroring in kernel raid. Any thoughts?

Besides the jmicron, wondering what else might need to be enabled for this board- for networking, and, I guess the sound controller.
Sudrien
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clapper wrote:

Intel chose not to support PATA in ICH8R - only SATA. That is why the Jmicron chip is even needed, for PATA.

It is considered either "forward thinking" or "slightly stupid".

-Sud.
Clapper
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sudrien wrote:
Clapper wrote:

Intel chose not to support PATA in ICH8R - only SATA. That is why the Jmicron chip is even needed, for PATA.

It is considered either "forward thinking" or "slightly stupid".

-Sud.

I see. I was confused by the initial post, where he said the "Jmicron sata port". The Jmicron port is PATA, not SATA, I guess. Thanks!
Snoozz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah no, I also have a sata Jmicron port (on the P5B deluxe :)).

So I have 6 ICH8R, and 1 jmicron sata port (do NOT ask me why :p).

grtz
Clapper
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification.

If I run "make menuconfig", and see the options you describe, above, can I assume that the kernel fully supports the Jmicron?

I'm using linux-2.6.19-ck2-r3, which, I haven't seen listed by others as specifically has having support.

I am hoping to rebuild the kernel, on the machine I am currently using, with the kernel options you mentioned, and then boot my current installation up on a new computer with a GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 LGA 775.
Snoozz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, You're compiling the kernel before you get the motherboard, am I right?

As long as you keep the settings for the motherboard you have now, you should be able to compile the options that I gave and just switch the motherboard later on (keep in mind that other options could change, like on-board audio or usb ports).

The morph sources I use also aren't mentioned in that post, but like I said, normally al kernels from 2.6.19-RC* should have jmicron support :).

Good luck ! :)

*EDIT*

If you (for the motherboard you have now) have anything enabled in the "ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support -->" section. You can leave it on for now, but when you change your motherboard, run genkernel or menuconfig again when you're booted and make sure you disable it completely (else it will take control of your DVD drive and that is something you don't want ;)).
benjordan06
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for consolidating this information... i have been scavenging the forums as well for this stuff

:D

however, using the KoT amd_64 r6 live cd, and genkernel --menuconfig all, i do not have the option of Jmicron support under SCSI devices anywhere... i found the rest

did i do something wrong? :(
mesch.t
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clapper wrote:

...and then boot my current installation up on a new computer with a GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 LGA 775.

and i think you also want to flash to the latest bios... i recently purchased a gigabyte ds3 (with onboard intel vga, ga-965g?) and could only boot my kernel if
i appended
Code:
irqpoll all-generic-ide
to grub commandline

now i updated to bios version f7 and this is not needed anymore...and phewww...core2duo is really fast 8O
bye, mesch.t
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benjordan06 wrote:
thank you for consolidating this information... i have been scavenging the forums as well for this stuff

:D

however, using the KoT amd_64 r6 live cd, and genkernel --menuconfig all, i do not have the option of Jmicron support under SCSI devices anywhere... i found the rest

did i do something wrong? :(

as far as I know this only applies to older kernels,

you'll find them in most recent kernels under:

Device Drivers ---> ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support ---> ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support --> Enhanced IDE/MFM/RLL disk/cdrom/tape/floppy support -->
PCI IDE chipset support --> Generic PCI bus-master DMA support --> JMicron JMB36x support

and under

Device Drivers ---> ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support --->Serial ATA (prod) and Parallel ATA (experimental) drivers ---> <*> ATA device support --> JMicron PATA support

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
MrMoustache
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the 2006.1 live CD to install on my Gigabyte GA-965-DS3 by adding the "all-generic-ide=1" switch when I booted the CD. I'm new at this- don't know if that has caused any side effects to my installation though.
Clapper
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clapper wrote:

Great stuff! I am awaiting my GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel motherboard from Newegg. These appear to be pretty popular, at least in overclocking circles.

I found a great linux support page about the Gigabyte GA965 motherboards here:

http://plabatut.free.fr/html/ga_965p_ds4.html.en

Has some kernel settings that may help people out who have stumbled on this thread.

good luck. Just got my board, and plan on tinkering tomorrow....
teapot
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great howto!

I might add some confusion , but there are actually sata-ports controlled by the Jmicron controller.
At least on my Abit AB9 motherboard. I use them , because when I bought my computer in October , the ICH8 drivers were
not working to a very great extent.

If you run into trouble , look in your manual for jmicron sata-ports.

They are supposed to handle Raid as well.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Kernel & Hardware to Documentation, Tips & Tricks.
Its a howto, not a help request

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: