View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrFlesh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: PC games on the PS3 Reply with quote

I'm currently looking to put linux on my PS3 since my PC died. I no longer play nearly as many games as I used too so I don't see the sense in buying a 1k gamming rig. I'm holding out for an easy install since I'm a linux (but not PC) newbie. My question however is can I play PC games on my PS3 using winex or cedega or some other such....uhhh....distro? I've looked at the requirments for cedega and it looks like the PS3 meets most if not all them (the graphics chip is nvidia geforce based) Thanks for the help.
mose
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sound a little "crazy"... I think that you can't expect to play games with performances comparable to the PS3 native system
MrFlesh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: No but Reply with quote

there are games you can get for the computer that will never come out for the PS3. Supreme Commander and Spore are two that I'm very intrested in. Obviously if the game came out for the PS3 I'd buy that version.
Bobnoxous
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He doesn't need PS3 native performance, he needs performance on par with his PC that died, running a windows game under Linux.

I have no idea of benchmarks, but I would think a PS3, with a properly compiled emulator, could run games acceptably fast. Cedega wouldn't be in business if it didn't. As for whether you can run cedega on a PS3, I don't know.
mose
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at these specs (http://www.ps3power.com/ps3hardwarespecs.htm) I think that you may save money and time keeping a PC for games. I think that configure and optimize such an hardware is quite difficult, and you don't have enough RAM to get good performance from Cedega.
But this is only my opinion... perhaps someone has experience with such an installation. Try to search the forums or google
MrFlesh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: I found this article Reply with quote

http://theconsolewars.blogspot.com/2005/07/could-playstation-3-play-pc-games.html

It says it should be possible and it also says down in the comments that PC games run faster on Linux emulators do to more efficent kernel size. However I have zero knowledge in linux and have no clue as how to get from point A to point B
mose
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, tell me if I'm wrong but the PS3 cpu is not x86 nor amd64.
According to this page http://packages.gentoo.org/search/?sstring=cedega you simply can't run cedega on it.
MrFlesh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: I guess your not wrong............ Reply with quote

I'm not trying to challenge your linux know-how. I don't know crap about it. I was just wondering. How about any other emulator. It also doesn't list 5.2.9 :)

Last edited by MrFlesh on Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
mose
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately you don't have many option: the only windows emulator is Wine, but it does not support the last directX.
This is because Cedega was born: it is based on Wine, and has some enhancements, such as a good directX support, so you can play games with it.
I found that there's a patch (https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-339105-highlight-ps3+cedega.html), and with that you can get last directX working with Wine: try to see the forum to see if it suits your needs.
However I don't think that installing and configuring properly Gentoo on a PS3 is quite simple, expecially if you don't have a good experience with Gentoo.
This thread https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-443551-postdays-0-postorder-asc-start-175.html is about Gentoo on PS3, maybe you're interested in putting your question there.
MrFlesh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Just found out Reply with quote

Just found out the GPU is locked out when running linux. Guess thats that.
acidraven
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention that Wine is not a emulator (WINE). Wine Basically deals with windows api calls that is not emulation. the X86 compatible processor still runs native instructions. The PS3 is Power PC based (Like the older macs) so you are more likely to see Older mac games running. Now it would be nice to see the ps2 run stuff like Diablo 2 or World of warcraft. But I don't see it in the near future. Right now I think people are still trying to figure out how to use the ps3 to more of its abilities, we still have the 6 SPU's to touch. Now it is Possible but not likely that someone will put together a OpenGL that uses the SPU's or that Sony and Nvidia will allow access to the Video Hardware. But hey this is what month 2 of linux on the ps3.

As for your computer problems what exactly died, what hardware and everything did you have and what games are you wanting to play. I know that it is off topic of gentoo on the ps3. But I think you are looking at everything the wrong way.
MrFlesh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: uhhh Reply with quote

My proccessor took a crap, but my computer was dated anyway and my monitor is one step away from taking a crap. I'm on my g/f computer right now. If I wanted I could replace my computer but I hardly buy games for the PC anymore, maybe one or two a year. There's no point in buying a gaming rig for a $1000 just for that. Anymore I mostly just use my computer for day to day crap email, chat, web browsing, and other BS. I can wait for linux for PS3 to get rolling with those features. However there are two PC games I'm very much intrested in supreme commander and spore.....spore may have a port but I highly doubt supreme commander will. RTS are really the only PC games I play. For some reason they don't come out for consoles.
Phenax
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: uhhh Reply with quote

MrFlesh wrote:
My proccessor took a crap, but my computer was dated anyway and my monitor is one step away from taking a crap. I'm on my g/f computer right now. If I wanted I could replace my computer but I hardly buy games for the PC anymore, maybe one or two a year. There's no point in buying a gaming rig for a $1000 just for that. Anymore I mostly just use my computer for day to day crap email, chat, web browsing, and other BS. I can wait for linux for PS3 to get rolling with those features. However there are two PC games I'm very much intrested in supreme commander and spore.....spore may have a port but I highly doubt supreme commander will. RTS are really the only PC games I play. For some reason they don't come out for consoles.

I doubt the PS3 will ever be able to use it's video card in Linux due to nVidia not making PPC drivers. Short version of the rant I'm not going to post: Tough luck with playing any decent PC games on a PS3.. :)
Tashi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does wine even work on the ps3? i though it was x86 only
mose
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that wine can't work on ps3 now... maybe in the future

http://packages.gentoo.org/search/?sstring=wine

Last edited by mose on Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Phenax
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah -- maybe if Windows gets ported to PPC.. :lol:
mose
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phenax wrote:
Yeah -- maybe if Windows gets ported to PPC.. :lol:

eheh
gtbX
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think wine/cedega will ever work on the PS3.. unless both windows and the games you want get ported over.

If you really want to try this, it should be possible to get a full x86 emulator like qemu, or bochs running on the PS3. Essentially you get a "PC" running as a linux program on the PS3, which you then install windows and your games on. The PS3 should have enough horsepower to run windows reasonably well, just don't expect 3D heavy games to run very fast.

Wine/Cedega = API translator = changes windows system calls to linux and back (fastest)
VMware = virtualizer = creates a virtual machine on top of another one. both the Host and Guest OS's must run on the same type of cpu, and may require cpu support. (medium)
qemu = emulator = just like SNES / Genesis / other video game console emulators. Only more complicated. Instead of taking ROMs, it takes a hard drive image. (slow)
rafelbev
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a SNES emulator DVD for the PS2. I guess you can easily play them on the PS3 too since its meant to be backwards compatible
PEETIE
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't think wine/cedega will ever work on the PS3.. unless both windows and the games you want get ported over.

Windows made a powerPC version for windows NT 4. There's darwine for Power PC, it would be interesting if someone were to create a powerpc linux port for this since it's aimed at macintosh.
Redhatter
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: PC games on the PS3 Reply with quote

MrFlesh wrote:
I'm currently looking to put linux on my PS3 since my PC died. I no longer play nearly as many games as I used too so I don't see the sense in buying a 1k gamming rig. I'm holding out for an easy install since I'm a linux (but not PC) newbie. My question however is can I play PC games on my PS3 using winex or cedega or some other such....uhhh....distro? I've looked at the requirments for cedega and it looks like the PS3 meets most if not all them (the graphics chip is nvidia geforce based) Thanks for the help.

The PS3 is PowerPC. winex won't run on PowerPC.

This won't stop you playing games compiled for PowerPC, but you can forget i386 games.

Gentoo/MIPS Cobalt developer, Mozilla herd member.
GNUtoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes the problem is that the ps3 is ppc
you have several solutions:
-fork darwine and adapt it to linux
-use qemu or similar
but both solutions will be very slow

another solution would be developping a compatibility layer for mac in order to run mac ppc games
we have already GNUstep but i was told by the developers at fosdem that it needed recompilation(mabe they told me that because the pc were x86 and the mac were ppc)
machspeed2200
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this, and still no definitive conclusion? 8O

So what the PS3 is like a PowerPC... it still has an 8 core processor! Haven't any of you taken that into account?
And ok, the GPU is locked out for linux at the moment, but maybe sony will see the obvious advantages and later provide a way to allow the GPU to be used with linux.
Either way, the PS3 should be seen as a god send because it's the first console to actually and officially support linux!

... yeah, so we may have to wait a little while for someone to get wine/cedega/whatever available for the PS3's arch...
I'm not complaining, it'll be well worth it :!: :!: :!:
Phenax
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

machspeed2200 wrote:
All this, and still no definitive conclusion? 8O

So what the PS3 is like a PowerPC... it still has an 8 core processor! Haven't any of you taken that into account?
And ok, the GPU is locked out for linux at the moment, but maybe sony will see the obvious advantages and later provide a way to allow the GPU to be used with linux.
Either way, the PS3 should be seen as a god send because it's the first console to actually and officially support linux!

... yeah, so we may have to wait a little while for someone to get wine/cedega/whatever available for the PS3's arch...
I'm not complaining, it'll be well worth it :!: :!: :!:

And nVidia will have to make drivers for Cell..
tokka
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

machspeed2200 wrote:
All this, and still no definitive conclusion?

Probably becouse people are hoping this thread will die...

You will never be able to run x86 code on a current cell at a speed that is useful for anything. Period. End of story. You would be able to buy a junk PII machine and out perform it so nobody will ever bother.

The Cell has the potential to do amazing things - x86 emulation isn't one of them.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: