Ripping Oracle 9i apart?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beacher
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 1:57 am    Post subject: Ripping Oracle 9i apart? Reply with quote

Good evening ;)

I'm not exactly following the Oracle 9i approved/compliant arcitecture and I want my subcomponents to be updated by Gentoo (apache2 instead of 1, ssl, ldap, etc.., using blackdown-jre or sun jre etc...) and I wanted to get your thoughts.

Before I get flamed for using Oracle, I got into datawarehouses about 2 years ago and at the time mysql didn't support foreign keys and cross table updates without some real perverted queries.

Anyway, I just ripped out Oracle JRE and JODBC and was wondering how far I can go before I start to run into some *real* problems. I've never used/administered ldap and I've never seriously used ssl (other than admiring the glowing lock thing and seeing my name on the bad cert).

Yes, I know I am a dangerous user. I'm asking for some help before the whole thing blows up in my face ;) Where will I get into trouble?

-B
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is it that you wanna do? Removing the extenral JRE is fine, but remember that most of Oracle's java implementation is inside the database and inside the executables.

I'm probably the only one here who can help you :)

If you can specify what you want to do, what components you want to substitute and why, I can help.

But be aware, don't call Oracle Support if you get any problems :)

Erik
beacher
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:29 am    Post subject: And a head on a silver platter Reply with quote

Ah.. My first order of business was to go to Apache2 with maybe some php.. I'm learning Oracle right now (passed the first OCA test) and I'm not sure what I want to do exactly. I'd like to make an enterprise scaleable groupware/CMS system that places the focus on team/group collaboration and has authentication mechanisms to control dissemination via https.

Document check-in/revision via java, automatic modular reports, status / timeline and project tacking with perhaps the fiscal side of the house in it as well.

When I get all of that incorporated, I'd like to have a customer facing side so that the ustomer can see their pertinent historical communications generated by the different groups.

I know I'm (somewhat) new to Oracle. I usually bite off too much but then again it makes me look at the larger scale and I ususally do fine if I do that.
I'm taking on this project because my company's internal knowledge base SUCKS and there is much duplicity of work and nobody's documenting a *** thing and we don't have the mechanisms in place to capture the knowledge that we do have.

Right now I can hear my PHB saying "3 powerpoint slides by tomorrow and a prototype by next Wednesday sound okay??? Riiiiight..."

It needs to scale to enterprise, asynchronous replication maybe. I have waaay too many thoughts in my mind as to what it should be. This is just stream of consciousness while I flesh it out. In the meantime, I'd like to get Apache2,PHP, and Oracle working in harmony together ;)

Can I just drop in Apache2 under $ORACLE_ROOT, change the build location, and move the Apache/Apache subdirs from Oracle under the new Apache2 and change the module linkage? Will mod_plsql work well with Apache2?

B

man I need to lay off the meds.. typing waay to much...
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so you are talking about the Apache that is a part of an 9.2.x database installation? Not about the 9iAS, the Application Server?

If that is the case, the answer is a definite NO, you can't use Apache 2.

When it comes to the Application Server, it may be possible, although I have not found any information about it internally. Besides, I'm not an Application Server expert, only on the database.

But if you hit any problems, I'd be more than happy to help you out and locate whatever information we have available on it.

Erik
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: