View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ahri
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: How to convert .fon for use in Linux (Dina.fon) [SOLVED] Reply with quote

I have a font I used for a while in Windows before switching over (nearly entirely) to Linux, it's available from here and I'd love to get it working in Linux, either just in X, or ideally, in both X and the console.

So my question is; how can I convert this font into a format useable in at least X and ideally the console?

Last edited by Ahri on Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you have Load "freetype" and Load "type1" in your xorg.conf. With that, you have the capability to use almost any font in Xorg. Then put your font into ~/.fonts/ and restart X, that way the new font will be available for all the programs. You can use the font in any terminal emulator that supports bitmap fonts, which are virtually all of them.

I don't know much about pure console fonts.
Ahri
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that didn't work - I am loading freetype and type1, and even bitmap now since that was suggested elsewhere. So eventually I converted the font to BDF format (which meant compiling the wine source myself just to get this app since it's not supplied individually), then to PCF, then gzipped and made a font directory with `mkfontdir', I then left this directory (called dina) in /usr/local/share/fonts and added `FontPath "/usr/local/share/fonts/dina/"' to my xorg.conf under the Section "Files". The font now works.

God only knows why I can't just use the .fon file (some places say they are supported by X). To be honest having used Windows for so long the logic behind making such a simple thing so difficult frankly elludes me. Or perhaps it's just because ~/.fonts/Dina.fon has a capital 'D' - it wouldn't surprise me.

Just in case anyone else can't be bothered with this complete joke of a method I'm supplying the end result here: http://ahri.net/static/dina.pcfs.tar.bz2 - I'll email them to the original creator unless some expert with fonts has some complaint about the way I've done this.

In case anyone hadn't noticed, while I do love Linux and use it 99.9% of the time, I yearn for a couple of the features of Windows that are are just nice and comfortable. Oh well.

Incidentally the KDE font install dialogue doesn't support .fon files, so while I can see that things are changing (at a desktop level), it doesn't seem to be quite "there" yet.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: