Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Did you know?: XMMS can play .ogg files in .tar archives.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
erik_swanson
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 5:25 am    Post subject: Did you know?: XMMS can play .ogg files in .tar archives. Reply with quote

I discovered this quite by accident, hitting "Add all files in directory" in a folder that contained an Ogg Vorbis-encoded album in a .tar archive.
The result? I had an entry in my playlist that was the length of the entire album (concatenated, with no gaps in the audio) and displayed the metadata of the currently-playing track.

Caveats:
* This only appears to work with Ogg Vorbis files.
* The audio files will play in the order that they are in the .tar archive.
* Any non-audio files must be at the end of the .tar archive (fx: playlists, cuesheets, etc..)

To remedy the last two problems, you will have to control the order in which the files are added to the .tar archive.
Here is an example of how to do that:
Code:
for x in artist-directory/album-directory/*.ogg artist-directory/album-directory/*.cue ; do tar rvf "Artist - Album.tar" "${x}" ; done

Enjoy! :)
pubecon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not know that.

now, I do.

thankyou
proxy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also will play zip files (once again, same order as they were compressed into the zip file)

i discovered this because my dumb roomate downloaded a zip of an album and renamed it mp3 (thinking it was just a flat mp3 of the whole album). i later discovered that it was really a zip :)

Played just fine.

proxy
gkmac
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you take a look at this it says that concatenating two Ogg Vorbis files together is legal in the Ogg Vorbis specification and thus if you have two Ogg Vorbis files which you want to join together, it's just a matter of...
Code:
cat part1.ogg part2.ogg > bothparts.ogg

...and it goes on to say that although players will play the new file as if it were one track, if the original Ogg Vorbis files that you joined together had different comments (i.e. artist or title) then the correct comments would appear in each part of the joined track.

I have to admit I've never tried this myself. I wouldn't recommend catting a whole album together, but some albums have certain long tracks split up into two or three CD tracks (such as Enigma's MCMXC AD) so you could cat just those tracks together.
smokeslikeapoet
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gkmac wrote:
If you take a look at this it says that concatenating two Ogg Vorbis files together is legal in the Ogg Vorbis specification and thus if you have two Ogg Vorbis files which you want to join together, it's just a matter of...
Code:
cat part1.ogg part2.ogg > bothparts.ogg

FYI
Unfortunately that does NOT also apply to ogg files encoded with divx video, aka .ogm files. I attempted to do this once with a two cd rip of a dvd. Hopefully someone will get around to fixing this.

Folding@Home
razamatan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ogm files aren't ogg files per se. it's just a container filetype much like a .avi with the (in this case: ogg) audio track(s) muxed with the video track. the reason why you can't concatenate n number of ogm files is because of this muxing.

the ogg standard only applies to the audio encoding portion of the ogm file. if you really wanna concatenate two ogm files, you still need to do the whole direct stream copy business within your favorite av editor.

this isn't a problem with ogg files, so no one will "fix" this...

smokeslikeapoet wrote:

FYI
Unfortunately that does NOT also apply to ogg files encoded with divx video, aka .ogm files. I attempted to do this once with a two cd rip of a dvd. Hopefully someone will get around to fixing this.

smokeslikeapoet
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would bet that Theora fixes this. I believe that the problem in the container lies in the fact that the container needs information about the codec used to encode the video. Albeit small, it is a shortcoming of the ogg container.

Folding@Home
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: