Apple Powermac G5
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 2:26 am    Post subject: Apple Powermac G5 Reply with quote

hmmm Mac have just launched the G5. I wonder if it has linux compatibility as yet?

they claim to have released the world's first 64bit desktop pc... funny cause I thought the Opteron has been released for 4 months already.. still very good timing my Mac, and clever marketing.

check it out here

thoughts?
GodHandPrime
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea on the linux compatibility but I do have an idea on the Mac 64bit VS. Opteron:

I think they are at the viewpoint that the opteron is more server oriented. I believe AMD will be releasing a true "desktop" 64bit proc sometime soon.

A little off topic: Does anyone know if there is an opteron board out there that has an AGP slot and no excess onboard peripherals?
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the g5 can be run as a g4 as far as GCC is concerned.. I don't know of any new instruction sets or anything.. it seems pretty beefcake - 1ghz fsb.. can u imagine, that's a cpu with 2X external clock!

2X1000 = 2ghz.. how cool is that!

anyhow.. might see if I can get my hands on one sometime ;) if only I could run all my linux apps designed for x86 only :(
Haro
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.haxial.com/spls-soapbox/apple-powermac-G5/

Some good non-marketing info on the new G5. It's not as good as apple makes it out to be.
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait for the G5 powerbook.
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haro wrote:

Some good non-marketing info on the new G5. It's not as good as apple makes it out to be.

that goes without saying, doesn't it?!

never trust anythign apple says.. or intel... or microsoft :D
puggy
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taskara wrote:
Haro wrote:

that goes without saying, doesn't it?!

never trust anythign apple says.. or intel... or microsoft :D

...or anyone. Trust no one. :twisted:
TwoSlick
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well....... I broke down and ordered the dual processor G5 today. Never owned a Mac before, but I can't help but love a desktop rendering engine that is based on pdf and opengl technology. What is especially attractive for me is that OSX is based on a unix platform, I can run X11 apps on it, soon be able to use portage to get apps, and if I get sick of the GUI, I can use any other window manager (like fluxbox) I want. I think it is like having the best of both worlds. A great foundation, with an attractive, and fully functional platform, with an easy way to add on more functionality.

Yeah.... It costs a lot, but that's what school loans are for. :twisted:

The only down side is, that It won't be shipped till August. The sales rep I spoke with had a VERY heavy accent, and when I asked him when it would be shipped, I thought he was saying "hours".... heh... Oh well. :?

After I get used to it, I'll try to slap Gentoo on it too, and see how that goes.

- TwoSlick
Anacific
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe if you waited a bit some of them would go down in price, you never know. :?
dice
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
? Dual 2GHz PowerPC G5
? 1GB DDR400 SDRAM (PC3200) - 2x512
? 160GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm
? ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
? Combo Drive (CD-RW/DVD-ROM)
? Apple Keyboard & Apple Mouse - U.S. English
? Mac OS X - U.S. English

Subtotal $3,320.00

Sheesh. For $3320 I'd want one of them big 'ol cinema displays as well, but that would tack on an extra $2000. I'd also want a refund on OS X since I'd have no intention of ever booting it.

Yeah, I think I'll stick with my current system and upgrade to dual/quad Athlon64s in a year or two ;)
eyevee99
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no mac zealot, I've never owned one and barely used one... but your price sensitivity seems misplaced. Try configure an equivalent(ish) Dell and see what price you get.

;)
Mystilleef
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:43 am    Post subject: 32-bit Vs 64-bit Reply with quote

Hello Gents,

I must admit, the G5 is a sexy little bastard. Wait...did I just say little? :?

By the way, when can we expect 64-bit desktop environments and tools in Linux? If it is anytime soon, I'm afraid I might have an orgasm. Is it easy for a developer to rewrite or port a 32-bit tool/application to a 64-bit one?

*/me fantasizes using Gentoo-Linux kernel-3.0.0 x86-64 architecture*

Regards,

Mystilleef

"My logic is undeniable."
dice
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eyevee99 wrote:
I'm no mac zealot, I've never owned one and barely used one... but your price sensitivity seems misplaced. Try configure an equivalent(ish) Dell and see what price you get.

;)

Ah, but that's the point. With PC hardware I'm not forced to buy pre-fab from some company, I can buy individual components as I need to upgrade them and thus keep my costs down. A year ago I spent $500 upgrading from my Slot A Athlon 650 with 256MB PC133 RAM to my dual AthlonXP 1800+ with 1GB PC2700 RAM. When Doom3 is released in a couple months I expect to pay around $350 for a new video card, a year or more from now I may upgrade to a dual Athlon64 system.

With Apple hardware an upgrade from a G4 to a G5 means you have to buy a whole new system, you can't just buy the new CPU and motherboard. With PC hardware I upgrade the components I need to and continue on using the rest. Hell, up until a year ago I was still using my old ISA SB64 card... had to give it up since my new motherboard has no ISA slots :( Point is that I've stuck with PC hardware for much the same reason that I've stuck with Open Source, it's all about the flexibility.

OTOH, those rumors of dual G5 powerbooks are very intriguiging... :twisted:
eyevee99
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. But I also don't think you (or I) are the market. Most people don't build there own they buy prefab - regardless of what we nerds do/think.

:)

On prefab prices, the Mac's seem very reasonable. shrug.

And I have a feeling your rig isn't comparible. Out of curiosity, price up an equivalently high end x86 using free range components and do a comparison.
zhenlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The G5 will obviously require a new motherboard, just like a Pentium4 will not fit into a Pentium 3 cartridge slot; or an Opteron into an Athlon XP motherboard. Further, if Apple were forced to retain such backward compatibility, they wouldn't be able to do all the nice things they do. If they had, I'm sure everyone would still be using m68k based computers... Besides, I have this odd fear about carrying old components into a new computer - I'm sure most people do too.

I think that software should be flexible, but hardware shouldn't. Causes too many problems - source code bloat, for instance. But, then again, I was never much of a fan for full-backwards compatibility. Look at Windows XP - It can run most Windows 9x apps, Windows 3.1 apps and even pure DOS apps, long after they should have been phased out.
plate
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Gentoo Chat.
iwasbiggs
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dice wrote:
eyevee99 wrote:

;)

Ah, but that's the point. With PC hardware I'm not forced to buy pre-fab from some company, I can buy individual components as I need to upgrade them and thus keep my costs down. . . .

You can buy your own power pc parts for the record.
The result will be somewhat comparable in price vs speed.
http://www.macopz.com/buildamac/index.html
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: