Amule GTK Crash
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lordkur
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Amule GTK Crash Reply with quote

Hello Friends : I have installed aMule to "share" :D some stuff around. The problems is that it crashes when I click to close the last tab on the search pane.... The issue is really hard to reproduce , it happens just sometimes. I hope you can help me , guys. Here is what I have:

Code:
localhost ~ # emerge -s amule
Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ] net-p2p/amule-2.1.3  USE="nls unicode -amuled -debug -gtk* -remote -stats" 0 kB

Code:
 emerge -pv x11-libs/wxGTK
These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
[ebuild   R   ] x11-libs/wxGTK-2.6.3.3  USE="X opengl unicode -debug -doc -gnome -joystick -odbc -sdl" 0 kB

Code:
 emerge -pv x11-libs/gtk+
These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild     U ] x11-libs/gtk+-2.10.7 [2.10.6-r1] USE="X jpeg -debug -doc -tiff -xinerama (-macmenu%)" 14,605 kB

and

Code:

localhost ~ # ldd `which amule` | grep gtk
        libwx_gtk2u_adv-2.6.so.0 => /usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_adv-2.6.so.0 (0xb7e00000)
        libwx_gtk2u_core-2.6.so.0 => /usr/lib/libwx_gtk2u_core-2.6.so.0 (0xb7b38000)
        libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0 (0xb749b000)

Thanks in advance....
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That bug is reproducible since a long time ago, and it has not changed. Amule has a very very slow development cycle, and it is a very buggy product (overall in the gtk part).

Besides that, as far as I know and for what I read, that concrete bug is not really amule's fault, but some strange play between wxwidgets and gtk, though I did not look to deep into it because anyway I preffer by far mldonkey which supports a crapton of networks and has tons of fancy features.

Those kind of bugs are usually the most slowly solved (if at all), because there are at least three involved parts and they do not seem to be very colaborative sometimes.
Gusar
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a wxwidgets bug and it shows when you use gtk 2.10 with wxwidgets 2.6. It's been fixed in wxwidgets 2.8, which has been stable for quite a while now, but it's not in portage yet.

6thpink, this bug is outside of the control of the aMule devs, no need to criticize them so hard.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gusar wrote:

6thpink, this bug is outside of the control of the aMule devs, no need to criticize them so hard.

I know, and I already explained that.

I still maintain that amule is buggy, since it really likes to eat my memory and is killed by the kernel every now and then cause of the memory leak(s), plus many other few annoyances that happens from time to time. Those are the main responsibles for me not using amule, and not the tabs issue, which is no more than a small annoyance to me. Still, since mldonkey is far more featureful and works just ok, I would feel no need to use amule anyway.

I did not critisize them, I just stated that amule is buggy. And if I did, well... it is still better being critic that to say that amule is stable, cause that would be to lie.

You are right in one thing, though: the fact that amule is buggy have nothing to do with this topic, since that bug was in wxwidgets.

Thanks for the tip, I did not know about it being fixed.

And apologies if I sound rude, but english is not my first language, and I preffer to be understood that to lack in meaning by using softer words. But still, I don't think that my statement was hard at all. We hear much worse things everyday.
lordkur
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

6thpink wrote:
Gusar wrote:

I know, and I already explained that.

I still maintain that amule is buggy, since it really likes to eat my memory and is killed by the kernel every now and then cause of the memory leak(s), plus many other few annoyances that happens from time to time. Those are the main responsibles for me not using amule, and not the tabs issue, which is no more than a small annoyance to me. Still, since mldonkey is far more featureful and works just ok, I would feel no need to use amule anyway.

I did not critisize them, I just stated that amule is buggy. And if I did, well... it is still better being critic that to say that amule is stable, cause that would be to lie.

You are right in one thing, though: the fact that amule is buggy have nothing to do with this topic, since that bug was in wxwidgets.

Thanks for the tip, I did not know about it being fixed.

And apologies if I sound rude, but english is not my first language, and I preffer to be understood that to lack in meaning by using softer words. But still, I don't think that my statement was hard at all. We hear much worse things everyday.

Ok , Pals Thanks for the info.

Gracias por la informacion amigo!
mark_alec
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Desktop Environments to Duplicate Threads.

See https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-526093.html
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: