Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gentoo branding on Desktop Environments and Applications
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you like to see Gentoo branding in your favorite applications? Would you want that option on or off by default?
Yes, I would like to see Gentoo branding in my applications. I prefer the feature to be on by default.
19%
 19%  [ 47 ]
Yes, I would like to see Gentoo branding in my applications. I prefer the feature to be off by default.
44%
 44%  [ 108 ]
No, there's no need for Gentoo branding in my applications. In any case, if it gets implemented, I prefer the feature to be on by default.
1%
 1%  [ 4 ]
No, there's no need for Gentoo branding in my applications. In any case, if it gets implemented, I prefer the feature to be off by default.
26%
 26%  [ 64 ]
I refuse the idea of branding altogether.
7%
 7%  [ 17 ]
I have something else to say. (Post comments below)
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 241

Tragetaschen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of branding.

But I won't call the use flag plain "branding".
Instead I prefer "gentoo-branding" similar to the "moz-branding" use flag from firefox. This way it is self-explanatory.
Paapaa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like the branding idea at all. I think it is totally useless and the wasted effort should be put to more important things.
nikaya
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of branding.It shows the identification to our beloved distro.
But it should be not set by default because Gentoo is all about choice.There is no problem setting it by hand if desired.
Deathwing00
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightmorph wrote:
Code:

SRC_URI="${SRC_URI}
                 branding? ( mirror://gentoo/gentoo-splash.png )"
IUSE="branding"

src_install() {
        # Our own splash for world domination
        if use branding ; then
                insinto /usr/share/pixmaps/splash/
                doins ${DISTDIR}/gentoo-splash.png
        fi
}

Note that the branding USE flag must be turned on to download the replacement splash image, and is then enabled later during the install phase.

That's exactly what I had in mind.

Again, to one of the previous comments, yes, the idea is that all applications share a common 'look & feel', but that does not imply that it should get installed for all of them, thus the above solution seems the optimal.
joker
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's quite a good idea with branding flag (off default) but it should be more eye candy than https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=157519
maybe something like this?
nikaya
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will there be one default-theme or are there plans to choose between various?
Deathwing00
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joker wrote:
It's quite a good idea with branding flag (off default) but it should be more eye candy than https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=157519
maybe something like this?

Of course new contributions are welcome.

Doe John wrote:
Will there be one default-theme or are there plans to choose between various?

That wasn't decided yet. Probably we'll start with one global theme that will cover all applications.
Polynomial-C
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I like the idea of give some apps a gentoo-branding. I already did this with OpenOffice and the way it's done in openoffice is the way I'd prefer for other apps as well (using the "branding" useflag).

Cheers
Poly-C

my portage overlay

Need a stage1 tarball? (Unofficial builds)
pablo_supertux
Advocate
Advocate

Location: Somewhere between reality and Middle-Earth and in Freiburg (Germany)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

runningwithscissors wrote:
I don't particularly care, as long as I can turn it off. If it is indeed worth the time and effort, go for it.

I never really liked the branding thing that Ubuntu and SuSE did, slapping their logo on almost everything.

++ I agree with that, I also dislike the branding thing of the other distros.
Gilthoniel, A! Elbereth!
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark_alec wrote:
I would go one step further and separate the branding/theme packages completely from the base package (if possible). So `USE="kde emerge" gentoo-branding` will build 'n install the kde-related gentoo branding/themes.

That might be tricky to do since many packages would probably need a patch at compile time to apply custom branding.
phajdan.jr
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be impossible to do correctly then.
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be clear, we already have branding in place in the Portage tree, and it is turned off by default.

What Deathwing00 is proposing (near as I can tell) is to make that branding the same look'n'feel, across applications and desktop environments. Basically, if you enabled the branding USE flag, you'd get (as an example) the Lila theme/suite regardless of KDE, Gnome, Xfce, etc. The icons, colors, buttons, window borders, and so on would be part of the same theme regardless of application or desktop.

So his next proposed step is to find that consistent look, create the art for it, and so on. (Obviously, Lila was just an example, not what will be proposed).

As a side note, Ubuntu does this to some extent; you'll notice that any packages you install blend very well with the environment, and that they have the same color schemes, artwork, icons, and so on between Ubuntu and the {K,X,Fl}ubuntu subdistros.
Deathwing00
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightmorph wrote:
Just to be clear, we already have branding in place in the Portage tree, and it is turned off by default.

What Deathwing00 is proposing (near as I can tell) is to make that branding the same look'n'feel, across applications and desktop environments. Basically, if you enabled the branding USE flag, you'd get (as an example) the Lila theme/suite regardless of KDE, Gnome, Xfce, etc. The icons, colors, buttons, window borders, and so on would be part of the same theme regardless of application or desktop.

So his next proposed step is to find that consistent look, create the art for it, and so on. (Obviously, Lila was just an example, not what will be proposed).

As a side note, Ubuntu does this to some extent; you'll notice that any packages you install blend very well with the environment, and that they have the same color schemes, artwork, icons, and so on between Ubuntu and the {K,X,Fl}ubuntu subdistros.

Exactly. :)
Flammie
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Gentoo branding on Desktop Environments and Applications Reply with quote

Deathwing00 wrote:
Before proceeding with design contests and stuff like that

Well, now that you mention it, I'd actually like to know for sure that we have enough responsible developers (artists etc.) to implement this through before yaying or naying it. It wouldn't be nice to have likes of www-redesign fiasco here again.
cynyr
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Branding. Reply with quote

I would like to see it be a USE flag, and have it enabled in the profiles by default. If you don't want the branding, then just set "-branding" in make.conf and continue on with life. I would also be okay with it being disabled by default and setting USE="branding" in my make.conf. Now that I think about it that seems to be the better solution.
tobr
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO this is wasted time, but I'm not here to tell devs what to do with their time :wink:

So if this gets implemented I would like it to be turned off by default. This reminds me too much of that time where I used windows and the drivers from my ISP branded IE with their logo during installation (what kind of stupid crap is this?). It's not that the apps in portage differ that much from upstream (at least they shouldn't), so it's not that Gentoo(tm) openoffice is spectacularly different from "plain" openoffice.

When I used mandrake "back in the days" I also thought it was annoying how they put their logo everywhere (they even replaced the "K" from the KDE-menu with their star), for me this sounds too much like marketing and has nothing to do with technology, which should not be the focus of a distro like gentoo.

So don't get me wrong, I'm OK with this as long as it is a use flag (after all gentoo is about choice, that's why we love it, right?) but I won't be supporting it either. *shrug* If people want it, make it available to them.

EDIT: OK, I got this a bit wrong, this seems to be about themes, too. This is something I couldn't care less about as the first thing I do anyway is customizing my desktop. So the wasted time bit still stands :wink: . Feedback from the devs/maintainers is IMHO the most important thing, because they have to implement it. I'd rather see bugs fixed than logos added and colours adjusted.
Xake
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tobr wrote:
IMHO this is wasted time, but I'm not here to tell devs what to do with their time :wink:

On the other hand I believe there is some people in the community who are not got with code but fantastic when it comes to gimp and alike. This can be their way to contribute?
And I think they exist. We just need to give them an idea of what we want.

As said before: branding is already upon us in a choosable way. But it would be nice with a system-wide consistent look.
Fire Hazard
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always enjoyed starting Gnome and be welcomed by the Gentoo branding. And I think it's a great idea to have the option for all/most programs to all have the same look with the gentoo branding. But as an idea I think there should be the application logo on splash screens with the current version. I'm not sure if that's the case or not. I haven't used Gentoo in a long time :oops:

"Here is your parachute and here is the manual.
Welcome to Linux."
Deathwing00
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo branding on Desktop Environments and Applications Reply with quote

Flammie wrote:
Deathwing00 wrote:
Before proceeding with design contests and stuff like that

Well, now that you mention it, I'd actually like to know for sure that we have enough responsible developers (artists etc.) to implement this through before yaying or naying it. It wouldn't be nice to have likes of www-redesign fiasco here again.

This topic was treated internally. We'll put all our effort in preventing such a situation again.
lcidw
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say no, forget the whole branding thing, unless there will be a nice range of gentoo theme's, styles, icons, etc. Ubuntu did that branding thing, but they really did gave their visual stuff a look which gives you the feeling it always belonged together.

On top of that, people identify for example Mozilla Firefox by the official logo, as with allmost every app a person uses. If we get a whole Gentoo branded system, people will think "Wait, what browser am i using.. Is that OpenOffice or what?". Confusion.

So, if we are going to do branding, go ahead, but get some designers to work on it else it's a real waste of time. And branding off by default making it clear to the public the apps can be branded Gentoo-style, however that letting-the-public-know may be done.
papal_authority
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Not only is it unnecessary, but with all the teenaged anime fans around here we'll probably end up with pokemon logos or half naked cat girls with big eyes.
Deathwing00
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lcidw wrote:
On top of that, people identify for example Mozilla Firefox by the official logo, as with allmost every app a person uses. If we get a whole Gentoo branded system, people will think "Wait, what browser am i using.. Is that OpenOffice or what?". Confusion.

The way branding and logos should be handled will prevent such a confusion. The fact that we add branding on it, doesn't mean by force that we will strip off completely the original logos.

The issue about how many themes will be provided is in early thinking. We first need to have one solid theme before pushing a multi-theme environment.
phajdan.jr
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lcidw wrote:
If we get a whole Gentoo branded system, people will think "Wait, what browser am i using.. Is that OpenOffice or what?". Confusion.

Provided the branding is off by default, the user should know in which apps he enabled branding.
lcidw
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case (of both replies).. i'd say, why not!

@papal_authority: Well, afaik Larry is allready naked.. and, i can't see how naked anime would come close to Gentoo branding. But, if we are going to support multiple Gentoo themes/styles and someone wants to create naked anime chicks, he better create an anime Gentoo chick then ;)

I just installed the latest OpenOffice, and that Gentoo logo on it is very ok. Just think Bon Echo (firefox not mozbranded) needs something more Gentoo for example.
Winblowz99
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like the idea of branding for my own system, but I think it should be off by default (optional). Gentoo is about choice, so we shouldn't be forcing anyone to use something they don't want to.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: