View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smiffy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Building OpenOffice Now Realistic! Reply with quote

About six months ago, I tried building OpenOffice on my server, Athlon XP2000, 1Gb RAM. I think it took thirty-six hours and then didn't work properly.

Now I have a new laptop (Thinkpad Z61m), and seeing how fast KDE compiled, I thought I would try again, especially since the binary build is a 32bit emulation.

With two CPU cores (Intel Core2 Duo -> amd_64) and 1.5Gb RAM, no running GUI and emerge given nice --20, I am delighted to report a build time of 209 minutes, 9 seconds, or about three and a half hours.

I am seriously impressed, especially since my previous laptop, that I was using up to last night for documentation and Googling, has 192Mb RAM and a PIII processor running at about 700MHz.

Conclusion: if you have a modern machine of decent specification - especially of the amd_64 flavour - OpenOffice is quite realistic as an overnight build.
erik258
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Conclusion: if you have a modern machine of decent specification - especially of the amd_64 flavour - OpenOffice is quite realistic as an overnight build.

anything is easy for amd64!!! if you really want to have fun configure it with crossdev to compile for your slower machines! Core 2 duo, i hear, so much faster even that it's increadible. I can't wait to play with my roomate's, but I haven't convinced him to get linux on it just yet...

Quote:
I thought I would try again, especially since the binary build is a 32bit emulation.

yeah, but have you tried to actually running the 32bit-emulated version of oowriter2 ? Try clicking on File to bring up the File menu, then clicking on File again to make it go away... does the program crash? That's what happend for me. Instead, i ignored being told it wouldn't work, unmasked, and compiled (really compiled) openoffice for amd64 and am quite pleased with the results.

btw, how did you manage to spend 3+ hours installing a binary package ??? are you sure it was a binary and not from sources?
smiffy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allow me to clarify - that is a COMPILE time. It is how long it took OpenOffice to build from source, excluding download times and the download/compile times of the four dependencies that also got picked up.

I didn't use the binary package, after I realised that it wasn't a true 64-bit one.
erik258
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, it doesn't work anyway, so good ; )

that is fast!
smiffy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly artificially fast. Using nice --20 is a very good way of grinding all other applications to a halt - or at least it used to be when I used to use it for raising the priority of jobs on an RS/6000 about ten years ago...

But if it's your own machine, being used single user, it's a great way to make things fly!
renrutal
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So faster processors and a higher process priority can make programs compile faster.

Intriguing.
albright
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So faster processors and a higher process priority can make programs compile faster.

Intriguing.

who ever would have thought it? :lol:
adekoba
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

renrutal wrote:

Intriguing.

lol
Monkeh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done it in three hours 40 minutes on an old dual Athlon MP :)

Wonder how quickly my new laptop will get through it..
erik258
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

time it and tell us! now i am wondering...
Monkeh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll wait for 2.10 to arrive, then do it.
jseymour
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL 10 hours and counting for me. Still compiling. :)
erik258
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what are the specs of the computer?
jseymour
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An older home built machine :roll: . Athlon xp 2500+ 1 gig pc3200 ddr dual channel. Took a total of twelve hours to complete.
wah
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm game :lol:
I'll try 64-bit OO on the machine in my sig. I'll hit you all back when it's done!

Cheers,
W.
- Registered Linux User #418541
nbensa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jseymour wrote:
An older home built machine :roll: . Athlon xp 2500+ 1 gig pc3200 ddr dual channel. Took a total of twelve hours to complete.

Hm. This is my selft-built Celeron 2.53GHz, 512MB Ram, cheap ASRock board, with PORTAGE_NICENESS=19 (low priority compiles):

Code:
zoolook@venkman ~ $ splat openoffice-2.0.4
 * app-office/openoffice-2.0.4

Emerged at: Sun Oct 15 12:41:08 2006
        Build time: 11 hours, 55 minutes, and 30 seconds

Code:
zoolook@venkman ~ $ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 15
model           : 4
model name      : Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.53GHz
stepping        : 9
cpu MHz         : 2530.206
cache size      : 256 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 5
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe lm constant_tsc pni monitor ds_cpl tm2 cid cx16 xtpr lahf_lm
bogomips        : 5062.84

Code:
zoolook@venkman ~ $ emerge --info
Portage 2.1.2_rc4-r6 (default-linux/x86/2006.1, gcc-4.1.1, glibc-2.5-r0, 2.6.19-gentoo-r2 i686)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.19-gentoo-r2 i686 Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.53GHz
Gentoo Base System version 1.12.8
Last Sync: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 08:00:01 +0000
dev-java/java-config: 1.3.7, 2.0.31
dev-lang/python:     2.4.4
dev-python/pycrypto: 2.0.1-r5
sys-apps/sandbox:    1.2.18.1
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.13, 2.61
sys-devel/automake:  1.4_p6, 1.5, 1.6.3, 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.9.6-r2, 1.10
sys-devel/binutils:  2.17
sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.3.14
sys-devel/libtool:   1.5.22
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.19
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86 ~x86"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=pentium4 -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/kde/3.5/env /usr/kde/3.5/share/config /usr/kde/3.5/shutdown /usr/share/X11/xkb /usr/share/config"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/env.d /etc/env.d/java/ /etc/gconf /etc/init.d /etc/java-config/vms/ /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/splash /etc/terminfo /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb"
CXXFLAGS="-march=pentium4 -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="autoconfig distlocks metadata-transfer sandbox sfperms strict userpriv usersandbox"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://distfiles.gentoo.org http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/gentoo"
LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL="en_US.UTF-8"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --delete-after --stats --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/portage/local/layman/sunrise /usr/portage/local/zoolook"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="7zip X X509 a52 aac accessibility acl acpi activefilter addbookmarks adns aim akode alias alsa amr ao ares arts artswrappersuid async audiofile autoipd autoreplace avahi avantgo berkdb binfilter blender-game bluetooth branding browserplugin bzip2 cairo canvas caps cdda cddb cdinstall cdparanoia chroot commercial connectionstatus contactnotes crypt css cups curl custom-cflags custom-flags dbus dhcp divx divx4linux djbfft dlloader dmi dri dts dv dvb dvd dvdr dvdread dxr3 ecc encode exif expat extensions extrafilters faad fame fat ffmpeg fftw firefox flac floppyboot fontconfig fping fpx freetype ft fuse gadu gd gdbm gif glib glibc-omitfp glitz glut gmedia gmp gpg2-experimental gpgme gphoto2 gpm graphviz groupwise gs gstreamer gtk gtk2 gtkhtml hal hardware-carrier hfs highlight history howl icq id3 ide idea idn ifp ilbc imagemagick imap imlib insecure-savers ipod irc irda irmc ithreads jabber jack java javascript jfs jingle jpeg jpeg2k js justify kde kdeenablefinal kdepim kipi kqemu lame lcms ldap libedit libsamplerate lirc lm_sensors lua lzo lzw-tiff mad mbrola meanwhile mikmod mjpeg mmap mmx mng mod modplug module mono motif mozbranding mozcalendar mozdevelop mozilla mozsvg mp3 mp4 mp4live mpeg mpeg2 mpi mplayer msn mtp multiuser musepack musicbrainz mysql nas ncurses net netboot netmeeting network nfs nis nomalloccheck nowlistening nptl nptlonly nsplugin ntfs numeric nvidia offensive ogg oggvorbis on-the-fly-crypt openal openexr opengl ortp overlays pam pam_chroot pam_timestamp pccts pch pcre pda pdf perl pertty pic png pulseaudio pwdb python qmax qq qt qt3 qt3support qt4 quicktime radius readline real realmedia reiser4 reiserfs restrict-javascript rle rtc rtsp ruby samba sametime sasl scanner server sftplogging shout silc smime sms smtp sndfile sound speex spell sqlite sqlite3 sse sse2 ssl startup-notification statistics stream subtitles svg syslog taglib tcltk tcpd teamarena texteffect theora threads tiff timidity translator transmitter truetype truetype-fonts ucs2 udev unicode usb userlocales utempter v4l v4l2 vcd vdesktop vidix visualization vorbis vorbis-psy webpresence wifi win32codecs winpopup wmf wmp wxwindows x264 x86 xanim xattr xcomposite xforms xfs xine xml xml2 xorg xpm xprint xscreensaver xsl xv xvid xvmc yahoo yp zeroconf zlib" ALSA_CARDS="emu10k1" ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS="adpcm alaw asym copy dmix dshare dsnoop empty extplug file hooks iec958 ioplug ladspa lfloat linear meter mulaw multi null plug rate route share shm softvol" ELIBC="glibc" INPUT_DEVICES="evdev keyboard mouse" KERNEL="linux" LIRC_DEVICES="all" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia"
Unset:  CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LDFLAGS, LINGUAS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS

jseymour
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well seems I get to try again :o . New update in portage for 2.0.4 (was 2.0.3 yesterday). Installed splat this time will give actual numbers.
erik258
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should show us -pv output so we know what you have to compile, if you wouldn't mind, and /proc/cpuinfo would be nice to see i think. For benchmarking purposes.... i was thinking of installing it on a real old sony vaio desktop (p3 450) just to see if i could use distcc to beat your scores ; )
nbensa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
zoolook@venkman ~ $ emerge -pv openoffice

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ] app-office/openoffice-2.0.4  USE="binfilter branding cairo cups dbus firefox gstreamer gtk java kde ldap pam sound -debug -eds -gnome -odk -webdav" LINGUAS="-af -ar -be_BY -bg -bn -bs -ca -cs -cy -da -de -el -en -en_GB -en_US -en_ZA -es -et -fa -fi -fr -gu_IN -he -hi_IN -hr -hu -it -ja -km -ko -lt -lv% -mk -nb -nl -nn -nr -ns -pa_IN -pl -pt -pt_BR -ru -rw -sh_YU -sk -sl -sr_CS -st -sv -sw_TZ -th -tn -tr -ts -vi -xh -zh_CN -zh_TW -zu" 4,566 kB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 4,566 kB

It seems somethings has changed since I compiled OOo 2.0.4
wah
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:

justinian ~ # splat -p openoffice

Emerged at: Fri Jan  5 19:56:08 2007
        Build time: 5 hours, 3 minutes, and 22 seconds

5 hours...I'll take it :wink: - and, I had some other packages to go along with it:

Code:

emerge -v openoffice -p

[ebuild  N    ] dev-perl/Archive-Zip-1.16  108 kB
[ebuild  N    ] dev-libs/icu-3.6  9,944 kB
[ebuild  N    ] app-text/hunspell-1.1.4-r1  USE="ncurses readline" 428 kB
[ebuild  N    ] x11-libs/startup-notification-0.8  230 kB
[ebuild  N    ] dev-java/javatoolkit-0.1.9-r1  20 kB
[ebuild  N    ] dev-java/ant-core-1.6.5-r14  USE="-doc -source" 6,136 kB
[ebuild  N    ] dev-libs/boost-1.33.1-r1  USE="-bcp -bjam -debug -doc -icu -pyste -threads -threadsonly" 11,237 kB
[ebuild  N    ] app-office/openoffice-2.0.4  USE="cups dbus java kde pam -binfilter -branding -cairo -debug -eds -firefox -gnome -gstreamer -gtk -ldap -odk -sound -webdav" LINGUAS="-af -ar -be_BY -bg -bn -bs -ca -cs -cy -da -de -el -en -en_GB -en_US -en_ZA -es -et -fa -fi -fr -gu_IN -he -hi_IN -hr -hu -it -ja -km -ko -lt -lv -mk -nb -nl -nn -nr -ns -pa_IN -pl -pt -pt_BR -ru -rw -sh_YU -sk -sl -sr_CS -st -sv -sw_TZ -th -tn -tr -ts -vi -xh -zh_CN -zh_TW -zu" 193,971 kB

Total size of downloads: 222,078 kB

emerge --info:
Code:

justinian ~ # emerge --info
Portage 2.1.1-r2 (default-linux/amd64/2006.1, gcc-4.1.1, glibc-2.4-r4, 2.6.18-gentoo-r3 x86_64)
System uname: 2.6.18-gentoo-r3 x86_64 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+
Gentoo Base System version 1.12.6
Last Sync: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 00:20:01 +0000
ccache version 2.3 [enabled]
app-admin/eselect-compiler: [Not Present]
dev-java/java-config: 1.3.7, 2.0.30
dev-lang/python:     2.4.3-r4
dev-util/ccache:     2.3
dev-util/confcache:  [Not Present]
sys-apps/sandbox:    1.2.17
sys-devel/binutils:  2.16.1-r3
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.11-r2
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CBUILD="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe -march=k8"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/kde/3.5/env /usr/kde/3.5/share/config /usr/kde/3.5/shutdown /usr/share/X11/xkb /usr/share/config"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/env.d /etc/env.d/java/ /etc/gconf /etc/java-config/vms/ /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/terminfo"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -pipe -march=k8"
FEATURES="autoconfig ccache distlocks metadata-transfer sandbox sfperms strict"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.chem.wisc.edu/gentoo/ http://gentoo.mirrors.tds.net/gentoo "
LINGUAS="en_US"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --delete-after --stats --timeout=180 --exclude='/distfiles' --exclude='/local' --exclude='/packages'"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.namerica.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="amd64 X aac acpi alsa alsa_cards_ali5451 alsa_cards_als4000 alsa_cards_atiixp alsa_cards_atiixp-modem alsa_cards_bt87x alsa_cards_ca0106 alsa_cards_cmipci alsa_cards_emu10k1x alsa_cards_ens1370 alsa_cards_ens1371 alsa_cards_es1938 alsa_cards_es1968 alsa_cards_fm801 alsa_cards_hda-intel alsa_cards_intel8x0 alsa_cards_intel8x0m alsa_cards_maestro3 alsa_cards_trident alsa_cards_usb-audio alsa_cards_via82xx alsa_cards_via82xx-modem alsa_cards_ymfpci alsa_pcm_plugins_adpcm alsa_pcm_plugins_alaw alsa_pcm_plugins_asym alsa_pcm_plugins_copy alsa_pcm_plugins_dmix alsa_pcm_plugins_dshare alsa_pcm_plugins_dsnoop alsa_pcm_plugins_empty alsa_pcm_plugins_extplug alsa_pcm_plugins_file alsa_pcm_plugins_hooks alsa_pcm_plugins_iec958 alsa_pcm_plugins_ioplug alsa_pcm_plugins_ladspa alsa_pcm_plugins_lfloat alsa_pcm_plugins_linear alsa_pcm_plugins_meter alsa_pcm_plugins_mulaw alsa_pcm_plugins_multi alsa_pcm_plugins_null alsa_pcm_plugins_plug alsa_pcm_plugins_rate alsa_pcm_plugins_route alsa_pcm_plugins_share alsa_pcm_plugins_shm alsa_pcm_plugins_softvol arts berkdb bitmap-fonts bzip2 cddb cli cracklib crypt css cups dbus dlloader dri dvd dvdr dvdread elibc_glibc encode ffmpeg flac fortran gdbm gif gpm hal iconv ifp imagemagick input_devices_keyboard input_devices_mouse ipv6 isdnlog java javascript jpeg kde kdeenablefinal kdehiddenvisibility kernel_linux libg++ linguas_en_US mp3 mpeg mplayer ncurses nls nptl nptlonly nsplugin nvidia ogg opengl pam pcre perl pic png ppds pppd python qt3 quicktime rdesktop readline reflection samba session spell spl ssl tcpd tiff truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts udev unicode usb userland_GNU video_cards_nv video_cards_nvidia video_cards_vesa video_cards_vga visualization vorbis winbind xine xorg xscreensaver zlib"
Unset:  CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LANG, LC_ALL, LDFLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS

Cheers,
W.
jseymour
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, Halved the time this time.

Code:
jseymour@warpig ~ $ splat openoffice-2.0.4

Emerged at: Fri Jan  5 21:26:16 2007
        Build time: 6 hours, 30 minutes, and 56 seconds

Code:
warpig jseymour # emerge -v openoffice -p

[ebuild   R   ] app-office/openoffice-2.0.4  USE="cups dbus firefox gtk java kde pam -binfilter -branding -cairo -debug -eds -gnome -gstreamer -ldap -odk -sound -webdav" LINGUAS="-af -ar -be_BY -bg -bn -bs -ca -cs -cy -da -de -el -en -en_GB -en_US -en_ZA -es -et -fa -fi -fr -gu_IN -he -hi_IN -hr -hu -it -ja -km -ko -lt -lv -mk -nb -nl -nn -nr -ns -pa_IN -pl -pt -pt_BR -ru -rw -sh_YU -sk -sl -sr_CS -st -sv -sw_TZ -th -tn -tr -ts -vi -xh -zh_CN -zh_TW -zu" 0 kB

Total size of downloads: 0 kB

Code:
warpig jseymour # emerge --info
Portage 2.1.1-r2 (default-linux/x86/2006.1, gcc-4.1.1, glibc-2.4-r4, 2.6.17-gentoo-r7 i686)
System uname: 2.6.17-gentoo-r7 i686 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2500+
Gentoo Base System version 1.12.6
Last Sync: Sat, 06 Jan 2007 01:00:02 +0000
app-admin/eselect-compiler: [Not Present]
dev-java/java-config: 1.3.7, 2.0.30
dev-lang/python:     2.4.3-r4
dev-util/ccache:     [Not Present]
dev-util/confcache:  [Not Present]
sys-apps/sandbox:    1.2.17
sys-devel/binutils:  2.16.1-r3
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.17-r2
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=athlon-xp -pipe"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/grass60/etc /usr/kde/3.5/env /usr/kde/3.5/share/config /usr/kde/3.5/shutdown /usr/share/X11/xkb /usr/share/config /var/qmail/alias /var/qmail/control"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/env.d /etc/env.d/java/ /etc/gconf /etc/java-config/vms/ /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/terminfo"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -march=athlon-xp -pipe"
FEATURES="autoconfig distlocks metadata-transfer sandbox sfperms strict"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://open-systems.ufl.edu/mirrors/gentoo"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --delete-after --stats --timeout=180 --exclude='/distfiles' --exclude='/local' --exclude='/packages'"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="x86 16bit 3dnow S3TC X a52 acpi alsa alsa_cards_intel8x0 alsa_pcm_plugins_adpcm alsa_pcm_plugins_alaw alsa_pcm_plugins_asym alsa_pcm_plugins_copy alsa_pcm_plugins_dmix alsa_pcm_plugins_dshare alsa_pcm_plugins_dsnoop alsa_pcm_plugins_empty alsa_pcm_plugins_extplug alsa_pcm_plugins_file alsa_pcm_plugins_hooks alsa_pcm_plugins_iec958 alsa_pcm_plugins_ioplug alsa_pcm_plugins_ladspa alsa_pcm_plugins_lfloat alsa_pcm_plugins_linear alsa_pcm_plugins_meter alsa_pcm_plugins_mulaw alsa_pcm_plugins_multi alsa_pcm_plugins_null alsa_pcm_plugins_plug alsa_pcm_plugins_rate alsa_pcm_plugins_route alsa_pcm_plugins_share alsa_pcm_plugins_shm alsa_pcm_plugins_softvol amd apache2 asf bash-completion berkdb binary-drivers bitmap-fonts blender-game bzip2 cdda cdr cdrom cli cpudetection cracklib crypt cups cursors cvs dbus dlloader dmi dolby-record-switch dri dts dvd dvdr dvdread elibc_glibc epson evo evolution exif firefox flash foomaticdb fortran gd gdbm gimpprint gpm gtk hal iconv icq imagemagick innodb input_devices_evdev input_devices_keyboard input_devices_mouse ipv6 isdnlog jack jack-tmpfs java jpeg jpeg2k kde kdehiddenvisibility kdepim kernel_linux libg++ lm-sensors logitech-mouse logrotate lzo ming mmx mmxext mng mono mozsvg mp3 mplayer msn mysql mysqli ncurses nforce2 nls nptl nptlonly openal opengl openssh oss pam pcre pda pdf perl php plugin png posix ppds pppd python qt4 readline reflection scanner scp sdl session sftp spl sse ssh ssl svg tcpd tidy tiff truetype-fonts type1-fonts udev unicode ups usb userland_GNU video_cards_fglrx vidix vorbis win32codecs wmf xcomposite xorg xscreensaver zlib"
Unset:  CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LANG, LC_ALL, LDFLAGS, LINGUAS, MAKEOPTS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, PORTDIR_OVERLAY

Code:
jseymour@warpig ~ $ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 6
model           : 10
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2500+
stepping        : 0
cpu MHz         : 1829.883
cache size      : 512 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow up ts
bogomips        : 3662.60

Still hoping to build a new system this year, but this one still works pretty well.
wah
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an Athlon 2500+ box up until recently - I loved it! Hang on to it!
onlinepancakes
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took me 3 hours and 21 minutes to compile it on my AMD X2 4800+ in 32bit mode.
faugusztin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Core 2 Duo 2,16GHz (ondemand cpu profile), 2GB RAM, just simple emerge openoffice with use flags "cups firefox java kde pam" :

Code:

Emerged at: Sun Jan  7 11:16:30 2007
        Build time: 3 hours, 37 minutes, and 59 seconds
olger901
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

36 hours...then something is definitely wrong with your system, or you are doing something wrong, because I compiled OpenOffice on my system back in the day (AMD Athlon XP 3000+) and it only took me somewhere in between 6-7 hours.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: